Your store bought honey is probably fake.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I buy local and support local whenever possible. Plus, the health benefits of local honey far outweighs a couple bucks. It tastes better too!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I buy local and support local whenever possible. Plus, the health benefits of local honey far outweighs a couple bucks. It tastes better too!

Yup. I've been buying my honey from the same local guy for the last 9 years. Delicious stuff and know its pure

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Read that a couple of weeks ago. I like honey and use it regularly. Lately, I have been buying Hunters Honey Farm products at Rural King. The Apple Works also carry Hunters products but they price them somewhat higher than RK. Hoping Hunters stuff is better than most.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    ^^ yep. Personal recommendation: Hunter's Honey Farm based out of Martinsville. Usually buy it by the gallon bucket at the Bloomington farmer's market. Good people, best honey I've ever had and will continue to have.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Read that a couple of weeks ago. I like honey and use it regularly. Lately, I have been buying Hunters Honey Farm products at Rural King. The Apple Works also carry Hunters products but they price them somewhat higher than RK. Hoping Hunters stuff is better than most.

Beat me to it! It seems like Hunters would be, considering the article had several folks quoted as saying the ultra-filtered stuff is mostly found in fast food and imports.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Hunters is top notch. We buy raw for the allergy benefits.

And apparently there is big business in "honey laundering". We have sanctions on some countries like China and will not buy from them for various reasons. Those countries will process the hell out of it to filter out any impurities that can reveal where it came from. They then sell their honey to interim countries that do not have an embargo who label it as their own and sell it to us.

So apparently by testing the impurities in the honey scientists are able to tell the origin of it. funny thing is that our FDA inspectors test a lot of that imported honey and miraculously it has no impurities to give it away. Gee, why would a foreign importer go to all the trouble of filtering the product when they dont have to? :scratch:

Oh, and on a related note, apparently most extra virgin olive oil you buy in big box stores is also cut with flavored/dyed oils.

https://livelovefruit.com/fake-olive-oil-is-everywhere-7-popular-brands-stop-buying-now/

If only we had a federal department that could protect us from fake products and actually take it off the market?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I am both unsurprised by this and apathetic towards it.

After all, who eats store-bought honey as a health food? (I do understand that some people eat local honey as a treatment for some allergies, but that's not the type of honey this article is talking about.)

I say this as a person who keeps bees, whose family produces 1500+ gallons of maple syrup annually, and who is married to a dietitian: Sugar in any form really isn't a health food.

If you are happy with the taste of the honey you get at a grocery store, then this news mostly shouldn't matter. You are eating sugar, and the source is largely irrelevant.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I get my honey from the Amish about 4 miles down the road, still has the comb in it.
    I agree with buying local, not that you won't get screwed sometimes, but it gives you a fighting chance.
    From experience, I can tell you small producers appreciate your business!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hunters is top notch. We buy raw for the allergy benefits.

I buy raw honey because it tastes so much better than the processed stuff(now we know another reason why). I never even liked honey until I tried raw Langnese Creamy Country Honey. Local or at least domestic, raw honey is the next best thing and a whole lot cheaper.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Can't stand store bought honey
    Nothing better than some fresh honey comb and a cup o coffee
    Black locust honey is probably some of the best honey I've had

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I buy raw honey because it tastes so much better than the processed stuff(now we know another reason why). I never even liked honey until I tried raw Langnese Creamy Country Honey. Local or at least domestic, raw honey is the next best thing and a whole lot cheaper.

Its the bee legs that make the difference. Yum!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    When I lived in Israel, we harvested honey that came from bees which ONLY had access to Avocados - it was super thick, and totally BLACK - it looked like TAR.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Can't stand store bought honey
    Nothing better than some fresh honey comb and a cup o coffee
    Black locust honey is probably some of the best honey I've had

When I used to keep bees, I always thought that Black Locust made the best honey. It can be hard to get good production of Locust honey each year because Locust blooms early, before hives can build up enough numbers of worker bees to collect it, and, if it's a wet, cool, spring, it's hard for the bees to fly out there.

We don't eat a lot of honey. I haven't had bees for several years and I still have some of my own honey. When I run out, there's a bee farm in my area that I'll probably get some from.

Top Bottom