• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I found out my insurance covered glasses made in Meijer store in Michigan City, In. on Franklyn St.
    I wanted the bifocal made special for working on my laptop and watching TV.
    The rude saleswoman told me I needed to make an appointment with the optometrist.
    It was no that I needed to make an appointment. It was totally how she presented the fact.
    I made the appointment and show up. I was told that I needed to pay the optometrist $15.00 separated from the bifocal order of $25.00.
    I explained in great detail that I wanted the reading portion of the glasses to a distance from my face.
    I was seated in a straight back exam chair. I placed a card at my knees.
    I told her this is where I place the screen of my laptop. That is where I want the lens to made for.
    She told me that that was a bit unusual but could be done
    I had this done at optical sales stores.
    The lady took a lot of precise measurements and wrote up the prescription.
    I went back out to the saleswoman. After she looked at the prescription. She stated that it did not look right. She had me pick out the frames I liked.
    She wrote up everything. Then she said that she will send "these frames to received the lens". The process will take about 2 weeks.
    I said,"what"? You need to send these frames?
    Yes that is the frames you want.
    Off they went. Just under the two weeks. She called the glasses are in.
    I stopped in. I needed to go somewhere else. I tried on the glasses and looked at a card and read it. I looked across the store and read the sign on the back wall. I left the store.
    That night I took out my laptop and turned on the TV.
    Immediately I seen I could not read the laptop. It was very blurred. I pulled the screen into me.
    The text was very clear about 8 inches from my nose. Then I noticed when looking at the TV. My right eye was blurred. The left was sharp.
    I went back to Meijer. I explained to the saleswoman about the problem.
    I even show her where I could read her monitor clearly. About 8 inches.
    Her FIRST comment was, "I did not bring the laptop when I seen the optometrist."
    I stated that reading a card or screen does not make a difference.
    Well I had to make another appointment with the
    optometrist.
    Then she said, make sure you bring the laptop so she could get it right.
    I seen the
    optometrist. She checked everything. She said that the lens maker changed the prescription because it was unusual. The optometrist made all new measurements. She stated that the new measurements are very close to the original.
    Back the saleswoman. She again commented that it was my problem because I did not bring in the laptop. She would send out the new order.
    After waiting some time I called. I was told the lens place did not want to except the "costumer's" frames.
    A long debate. They will except the frames. I was given a new window to get them back.
    I called at the end of the window. NOT in. extended days and extended days.
    Finally I went in to get a refund.
    Well she got real nasty.
    I demanded the store manager. The store manager told me that he Optical department is not part of Meijer's store.
    I told him I walked through the Meijer doors and I am inside the Meijer store. This all reflects on the store. Well he finally decided to intervene on my behalf.
    The first thing out of the saleswoman's mouth was, "I do not want him inside this section." make him stay outside the ribbon. She took the manager way back and talked to him.
    I thought, NO WAY am I going to stay out of that. I walked up to the manager away from the saleswoman.
    She accused me on not being cooperative and understanding that I wanted something special done. They could not do it.
    I demanded a refund. She could not do it because the manager was not there.
    The next day I called Meijer's corp 877#. The first thing out of the complaint dept woman. The optical department is not part of Meijer store.
    We went around and around. Finally she transferred me to the Optical division. Who answered Meijer's optical.
    I explained the whole problem to him. He stated that because of the unusual prescription. the lens made the lens for close reading.
    MY BIG question, Why did I have to see and pay an
    optometrist. If the lens maker make the lens differently. We went around and around on that question.
    I received a call today to pick up the glasses.
    Again!
    The close lens were about 8 inches to read. The distant was so bad I could not see anything clear.
    So I got a refund of the $25.00. For the glasses. I could not receive the $15.00 for the
    optometrist. Because she did my measurements and is a different department and not part of the Meijer optical department.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You lost $15? I'm sad for you. :rolleyes:

I lost $300 at Meijer optical in Merrillville (now closed). When I received the glasses I ordered, the bifocal did not sit in the right place and the lenses just seemed off. They were very rude but offered to remake them. I requested a refund since I had seen on the Meijer website that their optical dept had a money back guarantee. They said they were not affiliated with the Meijer optical that was on the website so they did not have to honor the guarantee. (WTF) They remade the glasses but they were still not right. I ended up getting glasses somewhere else and eating the $300.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went to a Optometrist to get my eyes checked for effects of diabetes. He was the real deal not one of these big box store fly by night outfits.
    They ran me through the entire series of tests. I requested they check my current glasses against my actual needs as I never was comfortable with them. They did and yes they were not right.

They wrote me a new script and I let the spouse pick out some lenses.
    1 week later I was sporting my new glasses.
    We had the same people work up a new set for the spouse and she is happy with them.

Never use those half baked big box store outfits. Never.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Reading that "paragraph" makes me wish "Schoolhouse Rock" was still broadcast on TV.

I only got half way through it before I concluded the read was not worth the effort of translating it to English grammar.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    1. I made the appointment and show up. I was told that I needed to pay the optometrist $15.00 separated from the bifocal order of $25.00.

2. I explained in great detail that I wanted the reading portion of the glasses to a distance from my face.
    I was seated in a straight back exam chair. I placed a card at my knees.
    I told her this is where I place the screen of my laptop...

3 She told me that that was a bit unusual but could be done
    4 She stated that it did not look right. She had me pick out the frames I liked.
    5 The process will take about 2 weeks.
    6 I said,"what"? You need to send these frames?
    Immediately I seen I could not read the laptop. It was very blurred. I pulled the screen into me.
    The text was very clear about 8 inches from my nose.

6 Then I noticed when looking at the TV. My right eye was blurred. The left was sharp.

7 Her FIRST comment was, "I did not bring the laptop when I seen the optometrist."
    I stated that reading a card or screen does not make a difference.

8 Well I had to make another appointment with the
    optometrist.
    Then she said, make sure you bring the laptop so she could get it right.
    She said that the lens maker changed the prescription because it was unusual. The optometrist made all new measurements. She stated that the new measurements are very close to the original.
    Back the saleswoman. She again commented that it was my problem because I did not bring in the laptop. She would send out the new order.
    10 After waiting some time I called. I was told the lens place did not want to except the "costumer's" frames.
    A long debate. They will except the frames. I was given a new window to get them back.
    The store manager told me that he Optical department is not part of Meijer's store.
    12 that I wanted something special done. They could not do it.
    I demanded a refund. She could not do it because the manager was not there.
    13 He stated that because of the unusual prescription. the lens made the lens for close reading.
    MY BIG question, Why did I have to see and pay an
    optometrist. If the lens maker make the lens differently.
    1. The exam copay is different than the "materials" copay. Common w/vision insurance.
    2. Its always best to have the exact item (computer, music, etc) and the measured distance at the exam. Font size makes a big difference as well as distance.
    3. NOT unusual. I do it all the time.
    4. If it did not "look" right, I am not ordering till a discussion is made with the Dr..
    5. Time of delivery has to be padded somewhat as things happen at the lab, breakage, restarts, fails inspection, etc.
    6. Rx-s are balanced between the eyes. Make sure you are not closing one eye if you are going to compare OD vs OS (right vs left). Cover one eye instead of using your eyelid.
    7. See #2. YES, it does make a difference.
    8. Its called an RX check. Sometimes what works in the exam room doesn't play out in the real world.
    9. The lab can compensate the rx to account for things such as vertex distance, frame wrap and tilt to more closely match the rx found with the phoropter by the Dr.
    10. The lab should accept the frame. This is a doctor's remake (DREM) and besides, you bought a new frame and it would be under manufacturers warranty if it broke at the lab.
    11. As is often the case at big box stores.
    12. It is not special. That is horse hockey. 12a. The Optician only has so much authority and sometimes has to go up a level.
    13. NOT unusual. Somebody has their wires crossed.
    Sorry for your hassle and expense and time lost. Find a real Optometry office next time. Make sure that your benefits got reset and then go somewhere else.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    First world problems.

Seriously though, I do feel for you. Unfortunately, as was said already, it is meijer... you can’t have high expectations for quality or customer service from a box store that sells toilet paper and prescription glasses. Just sayin

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is this your first spike thread? ;)

First world problems.

Seriously though, I do feel for you. Unfortunately, as was said already, it is meijer... you can’t have high expectations for quality or customer service from a box store that sells toilet paper and prescription glasses. Just sayin

Hatin nipperdog says it all.....:):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Since we seem to be bashing the big box stores, let me just say that neither I nor my friends or family members have ever had a major problem with WalMart Optical. The one time there was an issue, they took care of it. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Stay tuned for my post about the time at Jillian's when I almost had the Buzz Lightyear to the drop chute in the Claw machine and the claw mechanism released and dropped it.

The fury still burns inside...

Top Bottom