• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I couldn't find the BBQ thread to post this in for some reason. Anyway...my old BGE table disintegrated when we tried to load in on a trailer when we moved last August. I immediately began planning a new one and finally got around to completing it (except for paint) today. I picked up the granite top off of Craigslist back in September for less than $100. The frame is all joined with the Kreg HD pocket hole setup and seems extremely steady. Hopefully it'll last better than the last one did with a coat of paint on it.

I'm pleased with how it turned out and the wife loves it so all is well.

34HHLO7h.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    P.S. for anyone who owns a big green egg:

If you have the old style band and hinge setup with the springs within the rear bracket, do yourself a favor and invest in the new style. I broke a stud off of one of my bands several weeks ago trying to readjust it so I ordered a new one (my lid literally fell off when I tried to open it while cooking so it ended up being more than just a stripped stud).

This new setup is far superior to the old.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Is the BGE really that Superior to all of the others? I see that they can do it all from all day smoking to high temp pizza cooking but does it do it all well? I wouldn't mind investing in one but is it worth the jump in price from a Weber charcoal grill?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It looks nice. I see wood and vinyl siding. I don't know how hot a smoker gets, so you would know better than I.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is the BGE really that Superior to all of the others? I see that they can do it all from all day smoking to high temp pizza cooking but does it do it all well? I wouldn't mind investing in one but is it worth the jump in price from a Weber charcoal grill?

can’t just buy the egg. Need $1000 of accessories to pretend it’s not just a charcoal grill :):

rec tec pizza tonight

kreg jigs are pretty cool. I need to make more things using them

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I wouldn't say it's superior but it is definitely more versatile. It holds temps more consistently than any kitchen oven I've used, it's extremely efficient so it doesn't go through a ton of fuel and it works as well at 200*F as it does at 800*F. These characteristics aren't specific to the egg, any of the ceramic kamado style cookers offer the same capabilities. I bought my egg when they were about the only game in town, there are many other options out there now.

I love Weber kettle grills and swore I'd never be without one but once I bought the egg my Weber sat unused for months until I finally decided to pass it along to someone else. I cooked a lot of low & slow bbq on the Weber and while it is capable, it requires a lot more effort than a kamado. The egg is relatively easy to do long cooks on but the flavors it produces are secondary to a true stik burner. I've made a lot of good smoked chicken, turkey, pulled pork & brisket on my egg (along with pot roast, pots of chili, cornbread, pizza, pork chops, steak, etc..) but the best I ever made was when I had a stick burner. I'll have another one before too long, I've already started researching what's out there and I'm tinkering with my own design as well.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have plans for a similar setup. I plan to incorporate two BGEs, a gas grill insert, and an outdoor sink. I have been considering a concrete countertop because I can make it custom to my setup. Granite would be great but I think my project is too big to be inexpensive.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have plans for a similar setup. I plan to incorporate two BGEs, a gas grill insert, and an outdoor sink. I have been considering a concrete countertop because I can make it custom to my setup. Granite would be great but I think my project is too big to be inexpensive.
    Try Majestic Stone Imports, if you’re not picky about the design in the granite or the color, they make some really great deals on “scrap” granite. They have, or used to have, large amounts of good sized chunks.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    e695c732-6610-4822-bff9-7bf7822efda5-original.jpg

I'm right there with you guys, I'm all about food!

I went a little different way, we do a lot of home canning, so I built what used to be called a 'Summer Kitchen'.
    When it's canning season, we can get more done faster than in the home kitchen,
    And when it's grilling season, it's a good place to cook everything & eat, clean up is done with garden hose or pressure washer.
    (Makes sense to me but the wife isn't too keen on a pressure washer, but I'd dust the house with a leaf blower if I could get away with it)
    Having a roof comes in handy when it rains, is too hot, or the snow flies!

Nothing like cooking outdoors, and you can't beat the food!
    While we have propane cookers, I still grill/smoke with hardwood...
    But I cheat, I use a propane fire starter... I'm lazy that way.

I wish someone would let me mess with a Green Machine, but as yet I haven't got hold of one.
    You know how guys and their grills are! ;)

Top Bottom