• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I find myself in need of recommendations for outdoor security cameras.
    I don't want a monthly contract.
    I think I want a wired connection for power etc.
    I don't think I want wireless but I don't know what I don't know about it.
    I want as simple a setup as possible, 4 cameras mainly for nighttime, maybe linking to a phone or tablet.
    Any Amazon recommendations ?
    What are you guys using ?
    Thanks in advance.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Running a Night Owl system here. Had one of their older 8 camera systems for 5+ years that worked just fine until lightning hit the house last year. Upgraded to their 5MP 16 camera system. No complaints with it either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS Bad Arse Phone using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow  Pretty clear video.
    Is that constant on or motion activated ?

Motion AND temperature. You can select a camera grid area to disable the motion trigger. Handy if the garbage truck sets it off while aimed at the front porch.
    They are getting better. Software features change all the time. They just released a Blink XT2 with two way audio. I keep waiting for IfTTT with some kind of siren though.
    Get more than one sync module and you can set separate on/off timers.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I use three different (cheap) systems in three different place, minimum of 4 cameras each.
    I don't bother with sound, but I found out the hard way you want the biggest hard drive you can get for reasonable money.

All the big box stores sell kits.
    I prefer hard wired over wireless.
    Unless you pay serious money the wireless,
    1. Aren't wireless, you have to supply power to the camera,
    2. The wireless connections are tempremental in the less expensive units.

I do a pretty good job of running wires, so wired is usually my choice.

If you want to increase the range of nighttime (infrared) get some infrared flood lights.
    If you are handy with a soldering iron, the same infrared lights used around the camera lense are dirt cheap on eBay.
    Solder on a power connector and run some wires.

If you have ever seen the stand alone solar yard lights, you can swap the white LEDs for infrared and extend your range even further.
    I use these when hog hunting, stick them in the ground at your range markers, let them charge, they come on at dark and light up the area...
    This greatly extends my light amplification night vision optics, and you can often see hogs 200 yards out or more plain as day.

The same thing works on my homestead, but I use motion sensors,
    Something moves within range of the motion sensor, the infrared or white lights come on,
    And you can stick them on fence posts and forget about them.
    With gen 2 night vision I can detect movement at over 400 yards without alerting what's moving, and inside of 200 yards I can make out most critters through the optics.
    Something human size is pretty clear at 300-400 yards depending on what the weather is like.
    Within 100 yards the cameras will normally make out what's moving.

The motion sensor range is limited on the cheaper systems... You can record/watch full time, but that takes a LARGE hard drive for just recording 24-48 hours depending on resloution.

I can't recommend any one brand in particular since I've not had one that works a lot better than any other, all mine are cheap.

Just some ideas, use it if you want to.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have been working with several different types of systems lately. Most of the systems with a nvr/dvr on site for local storage only allow 4 wireless cameras. I would go with a wired system. I would also recommend going with a system that can handle more cameras then you think you want. I would go with an ip based cameras system, they can be powered from the nvr or a poe switch. There are also some additional hardware components that could be used it you needed to go a longer distance.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Here is another vote for the Blink system. I have six cameras which allow me to cover all doors and windows of my house. Very adaptable. Camera batteries are supposed to be good for two years. Not sure how accurate that is as I have only had my system up for about six months.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I highly suggest you do a lot more research before you buy cameras for security.

What distance do you want to be able to see?

Are you expecting to be able to make out faces or license plates at that distance?

This is a forum for IP camera geeks. Everything you ever wanted to know, and a LOT you never wanted to know is to be found there.
    https://ipcamtalk.com/

Go there and read. Save yourself from buying something that won't do what you want it to.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I highly suggest you do a lot more research before you buy cameras for security.

What distance do you want to be able to see?

Are you expecting to be able to make out faces or license plates at that distance?

This is a forum for IP camera geeks. Everything you ever wanted to know, and a LOT you never wanted to know is to be found there.
    https://ipcamtalk.com/

Go there and read. Save yourself from buying something that won't do what you want it to.

In front , I'm only wanting to see to my mailbox about 100 feet and the back of my house about 50 feet.
    Of course I'd like to have decent night Vision to make out dirtbag tire slicers

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In front , I'm only wanting to see to my mailbox about 100 feet and the back of my house about 50 feet.
    Seeing them, and having an useful image are different things. It is pretty amazing how quickly an image becomes pixelated.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What makes you give them OK instead of a good job?

OK as they fill our needs. The night vision is good. Daylight operation is good. If I put the cameras up on the 60" flat screen (we have the capability) it is very clear as to faces etc. On a smaller screen (36") it is not as clear as to facial specifics but you can see what is going on. I can also put it up on the 40" in the bedroom. The system is very versatile for the money. Adding the extra TV access coast a bit.

We are happy with it.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    You all with the cheesy brand cameras aren't worried about users hacking and taking video of you? That's my #1 fear with the cheaper commercialized ones.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You all with the cheesy brand cameras aren't worried about users hacking and taking video of you? That's my #1 fear with the cheaper commercialized ones.

Good point but mine is hard wired. And I do not leave it on the web 24/7. We do updates once a week. Non-hackable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

You want at least 4 megapixel, for the 50', 8 for the 100 feet. If you want to actually identify the mailbox person, you probably want optical zoom as well.

Dont cheap out if you want to actually RECOGNIZE the person. "yes officer, you can see by this grainy screen grab its human, not obese, and is wearing dark (or light) clothing." :):

Oh, and if you want to be able to actually read license plates, thats a whole 'nother (expensive) animal.

Digital IP cameras are best. Power over ethernet FTW!

Top Bottom