Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 90 Day Corn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    I see this every year. We have a good couple days to plant and most don't take advantage of it. Change my mind.
    I'll restate.

I hear this every year. I really do. There's some dry days before the rain comes in, and the rain sticks around and it's too wet to plant. There's been some rainy seasons and flooding, but not every year. In northern Indiana, they got a lot of rain and I'm not sure if they had a window between thaw and rain.

User Info Menu

...In northern Indiana, they got a lot of rain and I'm not sure if they had a window between thaw and rain.
    They did not.

Since the last full week in April we've had over 10" of rain. Spread out just enough to never let even the best drained fields dry out.

Most of those who took a chance and planted corn early have already cashed the check from insurance because their corn was flooded out.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghuns View Post
    They did not.

Since the last full week in April we've had over 10" of rain. Spread out just enough to never let even the best drained fields dry out.

Most of those who took a chance and planted corn early have already cashed the check from insurance because their corn was flooded out.
    I agree. The fields around my area have never been able to dry out. We had 3 snowfalls in April and may is now the wettest in recorded history up here. There has just been no window of opportunity.

User Info Menu

The guy who farms our land came out a couple weeks ago and tried to plant beans. The ground was firm enough to drive the tractor in the field, but his new Kinze, no-till drill was not coving up the seeds properly. They sold him new rollers, designed for wet conditions, with a $5K price tag, they didn't cover the seed either.

User Info Menu

Not sure if it has anything to do with the conversation, but the last couple of years I've been seeing everyone putting in field tile like it's going out of style.
    Is it just damage control at this point, or are there other factors at play?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Vogel View Post
    Not sure if it has anything to do with the conversation, but the last couple of years I've been seeing everyone putting in field tile like it's going out of style.
    Is it just damage control at this point, or are there other factors at play?
    There is still A LOT of old, red clay, field tile out there that has outlived its usefulness and must be replaced. Other times, even with modern plastic tile, the tile is so close to the surface that newer, larger farm equipment will crush it and it has to be replaced. And some time, you just need more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghuns View Post
    There is still A LOT of old, red clay, field tile out there that has outlived its usefulness and must be replaced. Other times, even with modern plastic tile, the tile is so close to the surface that newer, larger farm equipment will crush it and it has to be replaced. And some time, you just need more.
    I have some of that old stuff running about 5 feet off the back of my house and 4 feet down. That is how you discover your neighborhood used to be a corn field.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dane View Post
    I have some of that old stuff running about 5 feet off the back of my house and 4 feet down. That is how you discover your neighborhood used to be a corn field.
    My grandpa used to have a ditching machine and tiled many, many fields. I wish I had a use for those tiles, because I still have PILES of them in my barn.

User Info Menu

2 weeks of corn futures in 4 hour candlesticks.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

Expert

User Info Menu

I'm hearing it every year and I'll hear it next year. This year it was dry when it was above 60 at night (central region). It's best to plant corn early. It loves water and would be doing fine. I do remember a few years ago it didn't dry up enough to get a second harvest in, but there was still a minute to get the first one in.
    It seems you have your mind made up already, so I guess I won't bother wasting my time to try to moderate your lack of perspective.

I am no diehard pro-farmer. I think I have illustrated that there was a fair amount of hubris and materialism there for awhile that should have been replaced with gratefulness and savings.

That begin said, it's a real blend of people, and it's a real BLEND of reasons that have gotten the situation to this point.

You don't seem to grasp that, due to what I think is just prejudice. Please hold on to your hate with both arms, so that nobody else gets infected.

-Nate

President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast