Ulterior Motives Drama. (AKA I hate people sometimes)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So the last several days has gone from “OK, this could be cool” to “I cant believe that low down MFer tried to pull this stunt! Names have been changed to protect the [STRIKE]innocent[/STRIKE] Idiots. All parties are old enough to know better. (45+)

So there is an old friend of mine who moved out of state probably 10-15 years ago. We will call him “Butters”. But we have kept in touch on facebook. In that time we have had repeated arguments there re: liberty, and especially gun laws. I’d classify him as a butter. Constantly debating on the facebooks about politics, and especially about guns and our right to carry. Pretty sure he’s the “nobody needs a high powered assault rifle” type too. He is definitely a "we need more common sense gun laws" type. (though he cant answer JIm Lucas' famous question)

So fast forward to a couple days ago. I get an IM from him out of the blue. This is a copy paste. (this is important to understand the exact statement and context):

“Interested in getting together this weekend? Maybe Cartman, you and I hitting the pistol range?”

[my reply about having the kids Saturday so I may or may not go because of Mrs Monkey busy at a graduation ceremony, it depends on them and their interest in going to the range so we would have to play it by ear]

“Coming in for two graduations myself”

That’s it. No other comms or clarification. So back to the story…

So I think to myself Whaaaaa?!?!?! I think I have an opportunity to educate him on some stuff because he appears to be open to shooting and learning a bit. OK, cool. I’m looking forward to this. Ooh… what to take to let him play with to enlighten him?

Cartman was already planning on going whether I went or not, and wanted help sighting in his AR if I could go. So knowing this I assumed Butters had already talked to Cartman and was just interested in tagging along for something different to do since two of his friends already had plans that he could join in the fun.

So I realize that Sunday works better so I text Cartman and ask if he can do Sunday instead and we would have more time since the kids didn’t need to go. In the message I mentioned it would be just the three of us. Cartman responded “I didn’t know Butters was going. Or even that he was in town this weekend. But OK.” That was odd. Butters apparently had no idea Cartman and I were already going. This is getting weirder by the minute.

So I IM Butters and ask if he was OK moving it to Sunday (even though he didn’t specify which day was the range day, which I assumed was because he already knew we were going (maybe) Saturday). He responded that he needed to be back by 2 for an event if we went Sunday. Then he hits me with a blindside… And this is a doozy:

“Well, I might need you on Saturday, though. I need to meet my sister to return something. She wants me to stop by her house, but I want the exchange to happen somewhere very public with security cameras, maybe even at a police station. LOOOOONG story.” (paraphrased) Cartman and I have since talked and he filled me in on the trainwreck that is his sister’s life and their VERY strained relationship.

OK, so now I’m shocked, and the more I think about it, royally pissed off. This is a man that has come back to town repeatedly, probably once or twice a year and this is the first time he has asked to meet w me specifically. (outside the normal casting call of “hey Indy friends who wants to get together for dinner when we are in town?”) And asking to hit a range was TOTALLY out in left field given our spirited debates. But in hindsight, makes perfect sense.

It now appears that going to the range was just an excuse to get together and guarantee I would be armed. (I dont think he actually realizes that if I'm wearing pants, I'm usually carrying :):) On the way to or from the range we would probably have been asked to make a detour to drop off that package. And it just so happens he would just happen to have two armed buddies with him. Wow, what an awesome coincidence. His own private security detail. Not only no, but HELLS NAW! AND ESPECIALLY WITH MY TWO KIDS IN THE DAMNED CAR!!!!

I politely said that given his time constraints this weekend wouldn’t be good, (I cant go Sunday AM due to church commitments.) And I’m tied up on Saturday but we should hit the range the next time he’s in town.
    And I’m not about to take my kids into potential danger, ESPECIALLY for this guy whom I have fought over gun rights (and general liberty) for years. (I support Libertarians and some conservatives, he supports the likes of Obama and Sanders)

So apparently after all the debates on the subject of guns and liberty and his obvious disdain for my carry habits, now he expects me to be his own private security force to protect his ass, doing what he doesn’t think anybody really needs to do (EDC). Because that’s what cops are for donchaknow! And to not even man up and say “hey dude, I know we haven't always seen eye to eye on things, but I need your help. Are you available to help me take care of a problem Saturday when I come to town? I don’t feel safe doing it alone.“ I probably wouldn’t help given his well stated opinion about EDC, but I would at least have some respect for him if he had been upfront and honest. (I would have offered suggestions for how to utilize his beloved LEOs to do the exchange safely)

I so want to say “dude. If you are concerned carry your gun. Indiana honors FL permits. Oh wait, you don’t have one because you don’t think they are necessary!”

Now I’m debating on whether to say anything to him about his little ruse. I’ll probably light him up after I’ve had a day or two to think about it and calm down. I should probably wait and cool down, because if I were to send the letter now, It would be a profanity laced tirade that would make a sailor blush. Instead I’m venting by typing this out and sharing with a group that will appreciate it.

Man, I hate people. ESPECIALLY progressives. I don’t hate the guy, but damn. This is low, even for him.

/rant

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW!
    Sound familiar. I can think of at least 3 times while living in CA that my liberal "friends", who don't believe in guns, called to borrow a gun from me ASAP because of (usual reasons). They just found out they can't just buy one at the store because of the CA waiting period. When I say no, then they want to borrow me. When their crisis dies down, do they buy a gun for the future? Nope, they go back to their anti-gun rhetoric as though it never happened. :xmad:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Send him a powerful talisman, a .44 round dangling on a chain.

Tell him that his liberal views would mean it is more than he would allow everyone else have...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is how their addled minds work. It is as simple as that.
    Same thing has happened with us more than a few times.

Light his A$$ up. But get ready for some really idiotic fallout.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WOW!
    Sound familiar. I can think of at least 3 times while living in CA that my liberal "friends", who don't believe in guns, called to borrow a gun from me ASAP because of (usual reasons). They just found out they can't just buy one at the store because of the CA waiting period. When I say no, then they want to borrow me. When their crisis dies down, do they buy a gun for the future? Nope, they go back to their anti-gun rhetoric as though it never happened. :xmad:

Yup. Crisis over. Move along as if noting has happened.

I love the "Can I borrow a gun" thing.
    This is no where near asking me to borrow my truck.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My recommendation: be patient.

He'll proffer an argument at some point in the future about why Larrys aren't necessary, or whatever. At that point, describe a situation that is totally coincidentally exactly like what you posted - with the names changed, of course - and explain the hypocrisy of THAT guy. THAT guy should probably re-think his policy positions because his actions show that he does understand the need for a firearm. THAT guy should be more honest with himself about the realities that he tries to ignore. THAT guy should be more sensitive to the situations of others who, by no fault of their own, are faced with potential threats.

Just a thought.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now I’m debating on whether to say anything to him about his little ruse. I’ll probably light him up after I’ve had a day or two to think about it and calm down. I should probably wait and cool down, because if I were to send the letter now, It would be a profanity laced tirade that would make a sailor blush. Instead I’m venting by typing this out and sharing with a group that will appreciate it.

1. The guy is a dishonest and dishonorable douche bag.
    2. I see no potential for a net positive outcome from you confronting him or even mentioning it again. I would let it go, but never forget.
    3. He seems like someone with whom you should not interact unless you enjoy being outraged by bad people with terminally flawed world views who want to use you like a tool when they need you. I would stop interacting with him, or at the most limit it to exchanging greetings and "hope you are well."

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My recommendation: be patient.

He'll proffer an argument at some point in the future about why Larrys aren't necessary, or whatever. At that point, describe a situation that is totally coincidentally exactly like what you posted - with the names changed, of course - and explain the hypocrisy of THAT guy. THAT guy should probably re-think his policy positions because his actions show that he does understand the need for a firearm. THAT guy should be more honest with himself about the realities that he tries to ignore. THAT guy should be more sensitive to the situations of others who, by no fault of their own, are faced with potential threats.

Just a thought.

I like this.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Yikes! My sister. Save me. :shady::baby::shady:

Some chicks are scary. :runaway:

aGO4slT.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Some chicks are scary. :runaway:

Never met her, but he is no shrimp, and she apparently has previously worked in an industry that helps tremendously if you are physically fit and strong. And I believe she probably is more likely to agree with us on 2A issues than he would and probably owns guns.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yikes, ya that's... no good. Icing on the irony cake is Butters' ignorance could have killed all of you: most people going to the range put the unloaded gun in a bag in the trunk where it wouldn't be quickly accessible if needed. Excepting for your LTCH and carrying as a matter of course which obviously didn't factor into his equation.

I don't think anybody on FB with differing views actually knows I have guns. Don't post/argue enough for the liberal old classmates to notice (they're too far gone to be swayed).
    -Liberal anti-gun immediate family might suspect but it's never been directly addressed. Too non-confrontational to bring it up.
    -FUDD step-family knows because they went to a range without me and I let them know.
    -Liberal inlaws know I have accessories because a cabinet was accidentally left open one visit. Too non-confrontational to bring it up.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I remember being 22 and hanging out in a bar with a few friends. My "friend", Rico Suave, comes walking up and asks if I have my gun on me. I tell him that I might. He says "I am going to go hit on this girl but her boyfriend is here. Have you got me?"

I went and found the bartender, paid my tab and left.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I remember being 22 and hanging out in a bar with a few friends. My "friend", Rico Suave, comes walking up and asks if I have my gun on me. I tell him that I might. He says "I am going to go hit on this girl but her boyfriend is here. Have you got me?"

I went and found the bartender, paid my tab and left.

:facepalm:

Top Bottom