• ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    High school varsity BBQ teams? Yeah, it’s a thing in Texas

...the barbecue team is like a Texas hybrid of metal shop and home economics. The students fabricate and weld their own cooker together then use it to compete.

God Bless Texas!
    texasflag.gif

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    From the article:

For [Horticulture teacher and team sponsor Tommy] Copeland, it all comes down to one thing. “When these boys leave here, they are kings of their grills,” Copeland said.

I wonder if Copeland looks like Ron Swanson?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    They need to add shooting teams and have a grand "Kill It and Grill It" competition.

Agreed. Or at least the farming aspect of raising the animal and the butchering experience that comes with slaughter and processing.

I bet even some lefties would embrace the true farm to table experience.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Let's not overcomplicate it. :)

Cooking BBQ has got to be one of the top volunteer organization fund raisers in Texas. My VFD does an annual fundraiser on first Saturday in November, and several of the guys spend all night Friday night preparing the brisket right at the fire station. Several of the other VFDs in the county do the same thing, as well as other non-profits. Some of the local coops, like the electric company, keep smokers and grills and refrigerated trailers for loan to non-profit fundraisers.

Plus there are several BBQ joints in town, and even the National Grocery Store Chain of Texas, HEB, has a BBQ restaurant in it (and it is GOOD). These boys are learning a life long trade skill!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is way cool. They should offer it at the college level too. I think it's a way more valuable skill than (almost anything) "studies" degrees have to offer! :):

"Excuse me, but I would prefer that you address me as "Doctor" instead of "Mister". I'll have you know that I have a PhD in barbecuology!"

DoggyDaddy, PhDBBQ... I like it! And maybe down the line, we can add extra letters at the end 'n stuff, so we make sure we're inclusive. Everyone deserves good barbecue.* ;)

*ETA - Except for vegans. Vegans do not deserve good barbecue.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    You want money on a fund raiser?
    You want MY attention & money?

Bar-B-Que!

My friends and I will organize our bike ride around a good BBQ event...
    We'll make sure we pass by there to and/or from whatever we are doing.

Nothing like a good food spread to get old fat guys attention! ;)
    (If there's beer you may not get us to leave....)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Cooking BBQ has got to be one of the top volunteer organization fund raisers in Texas. My VFD does an annual fundraiser on first Saturday in November, and several of the guys spend all night Friday night preparing the brisket right at the fire station. Several of the other VFDs in the county do the same thing, as well as other non-profits. Some of the local coops, like the electric company, keep smokers and grills and refrigerated trailers for loan to non-profit fundraisers.

Plus there are several BBQ joints in town, and even the National Grocery Store Chain of Texas, HEB, has a BBQ restaurant in it (and it is GOOD). These boys are learning a life long trade skill!

Boy howdy do I miss good restaurants. And HEB. Oh well.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

I can back that up. I know that the Knights of Columbus in Port Arthur have a 40 foot long barrel smoker with they use very regularly for themselves and also emergencies. That thing turns out chicken quarters by the hundreds. Then they have this big ass vat they use for beans. They can feed a lot of people.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Alamo, please educate us poor Yankees. What does HEB stand for?

Sorry, didnt see this earlier. Spear Dane is right, the original founder was Howard E Butt’s mother, who ran a started a small grocery when Howard was a kid (pre WW 1). Originally Butt’s Grocery, he added his first name when he took over and started addind stores. It is still family owned and managed. 350 stores in Texas and Mexico.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Stop.

Too many of You People in Texas seem to think it's somehow acceptable to not have pigs involved when engaged in the act of barbecuing. If you savages continue this unholy practice of beef-only (or worse . . . chicken!) outdoors grilling and smoking, I'm going to have to bar you from calling it barbecue or BBQ. When you ensure that a whole hog or park ribs or something pig related is always over the heat, I will consider a probationary release.

Top Bottom