• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cant find the original thread about scanning drivers licenses for alcohol purchases, so I guess its time to start another.

Stopped by to grab some beer on the way home and was told by the cashier that she absolutely would NOT sell me alcohol unless I removed the sticker from my barcode that was preventing her from scanning it. I politely but firmly said it would not be scanned and that all the data she needed was right there on the front. She pounded a couple keys to remove the scan and moved my beer behind her to the next (closed) register. "I'm not selling this without scanning. Company policy." Fine, call a manager. Lady behind me about the same age (also late 40s) asked if she needed to get her ID from the car to buy cigarettes and was told that she was fine, its just alcohol.

Manager came over and gave me the same story. Just following orders. :rolleyes:I expressed my concerns very firmly that everything she needed was on the front and she could just type it in. He told her to sell it to me and walked off.

So I fired this letter off a few minutes ago. We'll see what they say. Regardless, they have already likely lost all my business.

-------------------------

I am writing in regards to your policy of requiring drivers licenses to be scanned for the purchase of alcohol.

For the past several months whenever I would stop at your various stores I would be told that it was required and company policy is to scan a drivers license in order to sell alcohol. I refused every time for privacy reasons and the cashiers would reluctantly key in the date with varying levels of minor hostility. Until today, it has been nothing more than annoyance.

Today however, the cashier flatly refused to sell me beer unless I removed the sticker that partially covered the barcode on the back of my drivers license to prevent unauthorized scanning without my consent. I asked her to call a manager.

Manager Brian I believe finally came up and the cashier told him what was going on. We had a brief discussion while he inspected my ID and used the excuse “Its just company policy.” He was polite, but rather short and it was obvious he had better things to do than be called to the register to deal with the matter.

What is your justification for requiring me to handover the following in order to purchase alcohol?:
    Name
    Address
    Height
    Weight
    Drivers license number
    Whether I am an organ donor
    What special restrictions or endorsements are on my license

I don’t have to give that much information to buy a firearm or even get a loan!

How do you justify requiring customers to handover all of the above information to you simply to make a simple purchase?

Part of my job is in IT data security. In my professional opinion that policy is exposing far more information than is required for the transaction, and sets up customers for data breaches. This policy is an obscene overreach and an abuse of customer data. Do you honestly believe that this policy is reasonable and appropriate? All the data your cashier needs is on the face of the ID.

I look forward to your reply.

Respectfully,
    Cameramonkey

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know this happens to you all the time, both at Meijer and Kroger, but I have never had this happen to me. They simply look at the ID, key in what they need at move on. I can't recall ever having my ID scanned.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Never thought about it before. CVS scans my card when I get a certain med and I remember a few years ago, Best Buy (in Illinois) stated they needed to scan my license when I returned something. I asked Best Buy why and they said they have people scamming the return policy.

I like the sticker idea.....think I'll try that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know this happens to you all the time, both at Meijer and Kroger, but I have never had this happen to me. They simply look at the ID, key in what they need at move on. I can't recall ever having my ID scanned.

This was the one near U of I, so I wonder if they've had some fake IDs? Other stores mention it but only that store (the one on my way home from work, go figure) has ever given me more than a passing comment about how they are supposed to. I actually had a lady argue with me and try to justify it after I told her why (and after she keyed it in as I went through self serve) . Her excuse? "you already gave them all that info to get your Kroger Plus card!" "No I didnt, I dont have one for the very same reason. I'm not exchanging my data for a couple bucks off here and there." She seems honestly shocked at that response, as if I had just told her I believed that Jesus was an extra terrestrial.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Never thought about it before. CVS scans my card when I get a certain med and I remember a few years ago, Best Buy (in Illinois) stated they needed to scan my license when I returned something. I asked Best Buy why and they said they have people scamming the return policy.

I like the sticker idea.....think I'll try that.

Black target paster squares work beautifully.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    CMonkey, is not your SS number encoded in that info, also? SS numbers are included for licensing in Ohio, but you can request it not be displayed on the face of the card. But it is still encoded into the info strip and can be read by the popo and anybody with minimal software.

Also, were going to the high security license. No more creation at remote locations, they're all printed in one secure facility and mailed to the holder. If your license is similar, if its good enough to get you on a plane or across the Canadian border, it should be good enough on its face to serve as secure ID

**** 'em, find a beer specialty store (that will have a much better and more varied selection anyway)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wow! I've never had my license scanned for anything and had never heard of it until reading this post. Something new?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CMonkey, is not your SS number encoded in that info, also? SS numbers are included for licensing in Ohio, but you can request it not be displayed on the face of the card. But it is still encoded into the info strip and can be read by the popo and anybody with minimal software.

Also, were going to the high security license. No more creation at remote locations, they're all printed in one secure facility and mailed to the holder. If your license is similar, if its good enough to get you on a plane or across the Canadian border, it should be good enough on its face to serve as secure ID

**** 'em,
    find a beer specialty store (that will have a much better and more varied selection anyway)

You mean like a full blown liquor store? The same bastards that fight tooth and nail to keep sunday sales away and cold beer sales their exclusive racket? **** them too.

And I used a 3D scanner to read mine once. I know the SSN wasnt included on that barcode. At least not in an unencrypted format.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow! I've never had my license scanned for anything and had never heard of it until reading this post. Something new?

Meijer and Kroger are doing it. Either you dont shop either, or you're an old fogie they call Sir and ask if you want help out with your groceries. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This was the one near U of I, so I wonder if they've had some fake IDs? Other stores mention it but only that store (the one on my way home from work, go figure) has ever given me more than a passing comment about how they are supposed to. I actually had a lady argue with me and try to justify it after I told her why (and after she keyed it in as I went through self serve) . Her excuse? "you already gave them all that info to get your Kroger Plus card!" "No I didnt, I dont have one for the very same reason. I'm not exchanging my data for a couple bucks off here and there." She seems honestly shocked at that response, as if I had just told her I believed that Jesus was an extra terrestrial.

And on the loyalty card, none of the info needs to be correct/legit, as none of it is verified.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Legally, what other form of ID can be presented in order to buy alcohol?

I can't think of anything that proves age without address and other PII.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Legally, what other form of ID can be presented in order to buy alcohol?

I can't think of anything that proves age without address and other PII.

I don't think its a concern of showing the license, its the concern of all the data being copied and retained somewhere in a database that brings the concern.

Honestly, I'm surprised that these companies are requiring this type of PII to be provided and that they are storing the data potentially, but then when there is nothing but a slap on the wrist for a breach these days, I guess there is no disincentive.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Make a new barcode with only the name and birthday and stick it over the existing one. Or just have it return obscenities, i doubt it is verified anyway. If it scans, the register monkeys won't have a clue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meijer and Kroger are doing it. Either you dont shop either, or you're an old fogie they call Sir and ask if you want help out with your groceries. :laugh:

That's probably closer to the truth as we shop at both. White hair is a give away.

Top Bottom