• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    just remember that as with all leftist causes the issue they claim to care about is never their motivation. their motivation is to destroy capitalism, freedom, liberty, and our American way of life and then underlying that is a rejection of God and of God's world he created for us.

seems to me Fair Oaks took care of the problem but in no way will that or anything else be enough to satisfy them.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am so sick of seeing this story on FB and all over the news pages. ARM sounds very much like PETA. I had experiences with PETA in past employment that was very eye opening to say the least. My cousin shared these two posts on FB in response to this story.

Fair Oaks Farms is a long time customer of ours. We want to take this opportunity to publicly say we have spent several years hauling out of their facilities and have witnessed their operations first hand. It is because of our first hand knowledge of the Fair Oaks operation that we emphatically support Fair Oaks Farms. The amount of time and resources they spend in order to promote the safety, health and outstanding quality of life for their animals is staggering. We feel it is unfortunate that an agenda-driven activist group focused solely on a couple of rule breakers in an effort to undermine such a great company. Fair Oaks Farms should not be judged by the actions of a few bad employees and contractors. Ask yourself if you follow every rule your employer has. Most people know of coworkers who misbehave on the job. It is a fact of life and we feel that Fair Oaks should be applauded for weeding out these bad actors. Let's put this in perspective. Fair Oaks Farms employs hundreds of people. Out of those hundreds, this "investigation" (really a political witch hunt) found 5 people who broke the rules. Of the 5, only 4 were actual employees of Fair Oaks Farms. Of those 4, 3 were terminated before it was ever revealed this insurgency even took place. That means that of the hundreds of people employed by Fair Oaks, 1 solitary worker was caught going against company policies and was immediately terminated. That is a first rate operation by any definition of business. We applaud Fair Oaks Farms for their dedication to their animals and employees alike, and we are proud to support them through this malicious and senseless political attack.

[h=6]For everyone sharing the "Fair Oaks Farm" video, and are "outraged" by the content ...there are a few things you probably need to know;
    1) The "ARM" is a pro-vegan group, whose agenda and intent IS to end the consumption of all true dairy products.
    2) The "ARM" group, "infiltrated" the FOF operations, as employees. In order to compile the footage they've shown you, they had to work for FOF for nearly two years....and after two years, that was all the footage they could compile.
    3) While acting as "employees", these "ARM" protestors both participated in, and conducted the acts of abuse they filmed, essentially manufacturing some, if not all of the abusive acts filmed.
    4) FOF has a policy of "see something, say something", to which the "ARM" employees refused to do...so only by violating FOF policies, did the abuse occur....at the necessity of "ARM's" socio-political agenda.
    5) FOF, released a statement, several weeks ago...well before "ARM" released it's "footage"...explaining that they discovered the groups activities. How did FOF discover the activities? By terminating the employees who were abusing the animals. After being terminated, the "ARM" infiltrators bragged about how they were going to "ruin" FOF, and subseqently exposed themselves.
    6) Of the 4 employees involved in the abuse to which "ARM" shows footage of....the 3 that worked directly for FOF were terminated. Two of those employees, were later exposed to be apart of the "ARM" operation. The fourth person involved, is not a FOF employee, at all.
    7) Actual FOF employees observed the abuse being committed and staged by those working for "ARM", and they reported the abuse...which led to FOF both discovering these activities and terminating the employment of the abusers.
    All that said, the truth is, "ARM" staged the abuse, conducted the abuse, and then reported the abuse, while actual FOF employees discovered it, put a stop to it, and are now under attack by the social media for something they didn't actually do. For those of you who are outraged....you've been played.

[/h]

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Where can I buy some Fair Oaks products on the west side of Indy? The best way to fight this crap is to buy their products. I feel the need for some good cheese and maybe some ice cream!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Everyone that Is familiar with rural NW Indiana knows that ditch weed grows wild and is not pot. That is at best misleading and likely a lie. What else in this video has else been distorted or fabricated? I’d like to see the the real uncut video and not just 5 second clips.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I love milk. That said, the dairy industry is a huge business. They employ a lot of people, so there are bound to be some bad apples get in. Pretty sure that there is some truth to this story. I'm betting that there was in fact some idiots out there that did this kind of crap. Probably not company policy... I mean the place has public tours out there... Most likely some politically motivated animal activist hit piece, but yeah, probably some truth to it too, just not the truth they are saying.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I do know that they haul the dead animals out in trucks and sometimes you see legs sticking out, etc. People find that to be rather distasteful, but it is part of this type of farming that there are going to be more dead than on an average family farm. There are a lot more animals so the percentage of deaths may not be much different...just seems like more because you are dealing with a much larger volume of animals. It is also harder to keep them healthy when you have that many more animals per square foot. Any illness that hits is going to be harder to manage. My daughter and her husband both work in the hog industry on CAFOs (factory farms), and the first thing I said to her when she told me she was going to work in the farrowing operation was to keep in mind that weak piglets were not going to be babied or doctored to save them. They would be tossed aside...not like when we had our goats while she was in 4-H growing up where the vet was called to try to save them. These farms are focused on profits and vet bills/doctoring cuts into profits. They do not call the vet to save a sow that is having difficulty delivering. They put her down and cut her open to save the piglets and put them with another sow. Would the average farmer do that? No...they need that sow to keep producing and are going to take care of her.

These "farms" like FOF are in business to produce milk and are all about numbers. It isn't the cozy little farm where the cow has a name and is part of the family. These cows are milked for a few years and once milk production is no longer at its peak, they are culled and likely end up as burger or some other product on your plate. Egg farms have been doing this sort of thing for a long time.

These activist groups think that farm life is all sunshine and roses. It isn't. I don't even consider this to be a farm. This is agritourism/business. It's about dollars. They really can't afford to purposely treat the animals badly. They need them to produce. Every loss is an expense and businesses don't like losses in the financial area. It's amazing how many of these people having a fit on FB about this were formerly in love with this as a great place to take their kids. Did they really think this is what farming looks like? Do they really not understand that this is just a business and all about getting those $$$$ out of their wallet?

I like my ice cream, milk, cheese, butter, etc. I also do my best to support the family farms whenever possible, but I have no plans to boycott their products over this video if that was what was on the shelf at the local supermarket and I needed some butter or sour cream, etc.

Somebody needs to look into this group that did the videos. I have even wondered if those committing the abuse were planted there by this group so that these videos could be made. How long had they been employed? Was that part of the set up? Did they know they were being filmed? Who knows what groups like this are capable of. PETA members can get fairly violent in their efforts at times when people disagree with them on things. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The owner of Fair Oaks Farms released a statement with their side of things.

My family did/does farming, and those animals are treated well. They are treated well because they are expensive and are how they make money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Maybe someone with more experience in farming can answer but I watched and wondered if it’s normal to loose that many calves as were shown piled up.

To the average non farming folk it would appear that the owners and management should have known something was up. Doesn’t seem like good business to loose that much of your potential product.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    In a herd that size, I would say that is not unusual. I know my SIL and daughter both routinely pull dead pigs from the barns on a daily basis. A plan for disposing of the dead animals is part of the application process through IDEM for these operations, as is a manure disposal plan. I know the hog barns only pump those pits of manure a couple of times a year. As I recall, the pit at the smaller barn near us holds millions of gallons.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The owner of Fair Oaks Farms released a statement with their side of things.

My family did/does farming, and those animals are treated well. They are treated well because they are expensive and are how they make money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only did they release a statement on it recently, but also on April 17th. Long before the video was released. That puts more credibility towards the farm over a biased organization.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Maybe someone with more experience in farming can answer but I watched and wondered if it’s normal to loose that many calves as were shown piled up.

To the average non farming folk it would appear that the owners and management should have known something was up. Doesn’t seem like good business to loose that much of your potential product.

Your talking 5000 or more mother cows at this facility, even a percent or two death loss is a lot and I’ll bet they are up around 20%.
    These are Holstein milk cows, calves are a by-product and heifer calves are all they want, even then only out of the best cows, bull calves are more or less worthless in that breed.
    Holsteins as a breed have been refined for one thing produce milk. In doing that they have lost, compromised other less important traits, traits that beef producers look for like good mothering abilities, strong calves have been ignored in Holsteins.
    Most of these calves would likely die if left with the mothers. Not because she doesn’t necessarily want the calf but because she no longer has the ability to care for it. She is no longer built to nurse a calf, her calf has likely lost the vigor and instinct to nurse from her. These are traits we target in the beef industry not so much in the dairy, you can’t have everything.

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    In the video I see workers that are either psychopaths or very frustrated and over worked, who’s give-a-damn is broke. Either way one thing is sure these guys have no supervision. Fair Oaks has a management problem, someone higher up should have caught this behavior and stopped it long before it got to the level seen in the video. I hope Fair Oaks realizes it has other problems then a few bad workers.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If these "activists" really care about the welfare of animals there's a mom and pop dairy operation up the road from me that I'd be happy to introduce them to! We were out running around one weekend and noticed one of their cows had somehow made it out of the fenced pasture and was happily munching grass in the ditch next to the road. In the interests of avoiding an accident I stopped at their main compound where many vehicles were parked and went looking for a person to tell about the loose animal.

My search led me unfortunately into their milking house. It was DISGUSTING to say the least! Flies were thick, the equipment was filthy, feces covered the walls and the floors hadn't been mucked out in what had been months. I heard a gruff "What are you doing in here?" so I turned around and saw one of the employees or mom or pop, not sure which. Told him about the loose cow and walked away shaking my head. He actually hollered after me asking me if I had a problem with what I saw to which I responded "no but this sure as hell ain't Fair Oaks Farm!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A word from my pastor using the Fair Oaks situation to explain the verse that defines my career.

[video=youtube;j9JnB-lZ8tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9JnB-lZ8tg[/video]

Top Bottom