• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Anyone here like Indiana Dunes? I've never gone. Thinking of taking the family in a few weeks. We're looking at staying in Portage or chesterton. Any recommendations on what to do while up there?

Jason

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Following for interest. Didn’t it just become a new National Park? If so, that should mean my senior pass should work there.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    There is Indiana Dunes State Park north of Chesterton on Indiana 49. The National Lakeshore park extends east to Michigan City. There are several access points west of M.C. to the state park, Mt. Baldy, Central Ave., Beverly Shores.

You can do a lot of dune climbing, walking the beach for miles, or trails behind the dunes.

Early for swimming in the lake, it will be at it warmest in late September, early October.

I grew up about 2 miles west of M.C. and a half mile from the beach.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've lived in NWI all my life, have always loved the Dunes, the park is truly a national treasure. Beautiful place, very peaceful, great place to observe nature, great beach, great place for family outings, great place to go hiking, miles of trails, easy to challenging, very popular with bird watchers as well.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Those are all things I really enjoy. I might try to fish up there somewhere too. We're probably going to stay in chesterton or porter if possible. I'd like to be able to swim in the lake, but it might be too early. We're looking at going the end of ths month.

Jason

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you like to camp, the dunes campground is nice. If you want a hotel Spring House Inn in Chesterton used to be really nice, I'm not sure what the current state is since I haven't been there in years. The Hilton Garden Inn on rt 49 is really close, but there's not much around there unless you head downtown Chesterton or down to Valpo. Portage has a couple newer hotels along the interstate near Bass Pro that aren't too far away from the dunes as well.

Michigan City has a small zoo that the kids love.
    Chesterton has different markets and festivals downtown depending on the weekend.
    There's the 49er drive-in movie between Valpo and Chesterton.
    Bison Farm in Hobart
    Anderson Vineyard and Winery in Chesterton

The park itself has a lot of activities scheduled too.
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2980.htm

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you like dune hiking, Lake Michigan, trail hiking, it's fun.

If you want to take a break and hit a water park, go to Deep River out on 30, not the one near the Dunes.

The Michigan City zoo is small town zoo fun.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you like dune hiking, Lake Michigan, trail hiking, it's fun.

If you want to take a break and hit a water park, go to Deep River out on 30, not the one near the Dunes.

The Michigan City zoo is small town zoo fun.

I think Seven Peaks is still closed from the violations last year?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We used to go up there at least once a year. Kinda hard to now, with 5 dogs and work drama. I've always loved it. There is a lighthouse museum in MC that is kinda cool. Nearby restaurants that I like and are on the water are Swingbelly's and Bridges.

Top Bottom