Dogs coming after you/your dog when walking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    We recently inherited a German Shepherd, he’s 4-months old, we’ve had him about 2-months. In the last 2-weeks, I’ve had a labra/golden doodle dog run thru it’s electronic perimeter & come after my pup. A kick to its head slowed it down, until owner ran out & constrained it. As their kids were in their yard, didn’t really want to kill their dog.

Tonight, had a Weiner dog & large breed mix come at us tonight. After some yelling, owner finally came & got dogs to return. He then proceeded to inform us that yelling wasn’t required. I was so ticked, I just shook my head & walked away, before it went south. His little girl was in front yard on here phone.

We are in a neighborhood, that’s not changing, what says INGO on how I should have handled these, or should I’m future?

No, I’m not going to pretend I’m some awesome street fighter, I’m old, chubby & slow, but well armed. I really don’t want to kill some dog in front of kids, but getting real tired of this.

Our dogs are in fenced in yard & pup is always leashes when being walked. He wasn’t growling or anything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK folks. Lets keep this in a well mannered order. These threads usually go south. This one will not. The OP has a serious question. Lets give serious answers.

I know how I would have dealt with this but it is not civil so in the light of this I will just read.

Thanks,

-CM-

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am prepared to put a boot to the head of any dog that comes after me or my dog in any sort of aggressive way. I place myself between my dog and any dog not on a leash who runs out. Doesn't matter the size of dog.

If that doesn't work, more serious measures are available.

I do always try to cross the road to avoid other dogs if I can as a preventive measure.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Dogs is one of the reasons I started carrying.

I had a LTCH for about 4 years but never really carried much. My son was in 2nd grade and we frequently took walks around our neighborhood. Many a loose dog would run at us; now they usually backed off if I started at them but I had an epiphany and started carrying everytime we went on a walk.

Darn near had to put more than one dog down but I got lucky. (And the dogs real lucky).

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Stay across the street (if possible) when coming upon a problem area. Stay between your dog and the other one. Carry a dog spray. Any chance of walking in a different direction to avoid them?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Cattle prod would be pretty effective. Discharging your firearm is probably bad form but no matter what you do the maroons that own the offending dogs will be unhappy. Good news is that in a few months the tables will turn and your pup will be much larger and hopefully that will solve the problem.
    When my dog was about 3 months old my neighbor's cocker spaniel chased her all the way in the house. I have invisible fence and my neighbor has invisible brain. At that age she was terrified of everything but 6 months later the worm turned and she ran completely over the cocker just trying to play with him. He doesn't come in our yard any more.:laugh:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am getting a bit tired of the house in our neighborhood that keeps their dog unchained in the front yard. It's run at our dogs a few times now. It always stops short, but it's a big, barking dog running at you. **** off with that.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I agree with the ammonia in a squirt gun. Also some long distance fox or coyote lure in a squirt bottle. What a show they put on when hit by that. And their owner will not let them close to them for a few day either.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Stay across the street (if possible) when coming upon a problem area. Stay between your dog and the other one. Carry a dog spray. Any chance of walking in a different direction to avoid them?

Between the first & second attack, all routes include at least 1 owner. We were across on first, second we didn’t see them until we heard them coming from behind.

Top Bottom