• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So yesterday we picked up two used Middle School lockers, They have about 20 lockers in each and are made of heavy gauge steel, I mean it took 4 of us to move them.
    m wife is all Home and Garden type stuff, HG TV ideas, so one of them is in the living room, and I must say it looks kind of cool.

So now I have another one that with a little clean up should be good to go. I was kind of thinking about using it for a quasi safe for ammo and cleaning supplies, holsters etc. I would think since the ammo is in Sealed containers, it should be good to go? I know nothing is 100% break in proof, but seems to me it would be better than having the cans in shelving unit.

Thanks

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    All my ammo and holsters etc are in a metal cabinet that doesn't even have a lock. I figure ammo doesn't do any one any good of the guns are in the safe.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I agree, it doesn't take long to accumulate lots of money in ammo and supplies. I can squeeze lots of ammo in the corners and any other unfilled areas of the safe.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I *Try* to keep the loaded ammo, primers & powder secured.
    If you take the time to secure, and have the not too deep shelf space, you are likely to rotate stock.
    With one big deep/wide storage spot, you have a tendency to bury things...
    (See the questions about old powder, primers etc.)

In particular primers I keep in ammo cans, newest on top shelf, then move down then the bottom can is empty.
    Those lockers you are talking about are stupid easy to put extra shelves in, so you get to customize easily!

I got tired of a bunch of little locks, so I use 'Eye' bolts & bar with lock, keeps prying eyes and little fingers out of places they shouldn't be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have re-purposed 2 double door StakOn locking gun cabinets for ammo lockers. Put in shelves. The doors were bolstered up for additional strength when I kept rifles in them. They lock up pretty well.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I *Try* to keep the loaded ammo, primers & powder secured.
    If you take the time to secure, and have the not too deep shelf space, you are likely to rotate stock.
    With one big deep/wide storage spot, you have a tendency to bury things...
    (See the questions about old powder, primers etc.)

In particular primers I keep in ammo cans, newest on top shelf, then move down then the bottom can is empty.
    Those lockers you are talking about are stupid easy to put extra shelves in, so you get to customize easily!

I got tired of a bunch of little locks, so I use 'Eye' bolts & bar with lock, keeps prying eyes and little fingers out of places they shouldn't be.

Thats a good idea keeping oldest stuff at the top and rotating.

I have still been buying ammo even though its cheap compared to past Presidency. But i figure never know when the tide could turn. I still want to be able to enjoy plinking should another shortage come about.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would think since the ammo is in Sealed containers, it should be good to go? I know nothing is 100% break in proof, but seems to me it would be better than having the cans in shelving unit.

So are you going to put the lockers in climate controlled conditions that the ammo is presumably in now (i.e. is this in the house, etc)? If so, I can't see how this would be a bad thing. If you are locating the lockers somewhere else than where the ammo is stored now, then we need more info to answer the good to go question.

If you are just asking about protection from theft, then I'd say unless it is sitting somewhere in plain view to give someone who can see it a new reason to investigate it, that it can't be any worse than being stored without any kind of cabinet, etc.

Top Bottom