• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey ingo,

Our home central ac unit is 19 years old and has a freon leak.
    With the price of r22 skyrocketing and production ceasing, we are looking into replacing the unit.

Anyone have a preference for brands? Opinions on what else to replace?

Its going to cool a 116 year old, 2200sq ft, farm house with 10 foot ceilings, plumbed solely with flex duct.

Please and thank you
    Shred

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have had very good luck with carrier equipment.
    What efficiency levels are you looking for...???
    What size equipment do you have in the house now and did it keep up before the leak...???
    Are you on natural gas/LP/Electric...???

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    We heat with lp and wood...i have no clue what size we have now but we never really keep it that cold...maybe 74 on hot days....

Electric bills are higher than i would like them but i realize the flex duct is going to make any unit less efficient....especially since they where crammed into spaces that where never meant for ducts.

I am clueless about ac technology and skeptical that any ac installer is going to tell me the truth AND do a good job.

I also know the wares of modern manufacturing and dont trust modern quality.
    I can only afford to do this once so i want to do it right and get somthing that will last another 20 years.

Do you have to replace both coils when getting a new unit with the r410 freon?

Keep the replies coming please
    Thanks
    Shred

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We heat with lp and wood...i have no clue what size we have now but we never really keep it that cold...maybe 74 on hot days....

Electric bills are higher than i would like them but i realize the flex duct is going to make any unit less efficient....especially since they where crammed into spaces that where never meant for ducts.

I am clueless about ac technology and skeptical that any ac installer is going to tell me the truth AND do a good job.

I also know the wares of modern manufacturing and dont trust modern quality.
    I can only afford to do this once so i want to do it right and get somthing that will last another 20 years.

Do you have to replace both coils when getting a new unit with the r410 freon?

Keep the replies coming please
    Thanks
    Shred

Yes. The 410-A coils are larger. More surface area.
    You will need to replace the entire system. The blowers in the new units are far better than what you have now. The air flow is essential.

Can you take a pic of the outdoor units rating/info plate for me or just get the manf. name and model number. Same with the furnace.
    Feel free to PM me the info or we can continue open discussions. Others may have some incite into this as well.

Many companys will push the high end equipment as it is beneficial to them. If you arm yourself with knowledge you can pick and choose what you want. Do not go with the 1st bid. Compare apples to apples if you can.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We just bought an American Standard AC and gas furnace a year ago. It's been fantastic and a hell of a lot more economical to run than the Trane it replaced. The Trane lasted a mere 23 years...so not bad. We love it so far and would buy it again.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    We just bought an American Standard AC and gas furnace a year ago. It's been fantastic and a hell of a lot more economical to run than the Trane it replaced. The Trane lasted a mere 23 years...so not bad. We love it so far and would buy it again.

You know American Standard is a rebadged Trane, right? I’m in the HVAC industry and in the same boat as the OP... LP and a AC. I will be swapping the current Trane system to a 96% 2 stage furnace with a LP kit and a Bosch 20 SEER heat pump in the next week or so. The Co-OP is going to think somethings wrong when my monthly fill durning the winter drops off. I will get a $750 rebate from the local REMC on top of the savings from little propane usage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know American Standard is a rebadged Trane, right? I’m in the HVAC industry and in the same boat as the OP... LP and a AC. I will be swapping the current Trane system to a 96% 2 stage furnace with a LP kit and a Bosch 20 SEER heat pump in the next week or so. The Co-OP is going to think somethings wrong when my monthly fill durning the winter drops off. I will get a $750 rebate from the local REMC on top of the savings from little propane usage.

Truth on the re-badge. I id not want to pierce his balloon.....:):

I will have to look into the Bosch equipment. Old dog. New tricks an all.

Top Bottom