• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    When people ask questions, how do you answer?
    Not only the answer, but how you act as you answer?

I watched a full volume screaming crap fight between a guy open carrying and a couple soccer moms in a fast food restaurant this weekend, and it was so stupid I can't even express it.
    The soccer moms had kids with them, they got triggered, and the guy carrying triggered about 10 seconds later.

Now I know the argument about open carry, and concealed carry...
    Without getting into that argument, you simply don't have these issues when you conceal.

Since the argument/screaming match happened in line in front of me, I simply left when the soccer moms called police.

----------

The absloute newbie asking what firearm ("gun") would YOU buy?

Even through I've been asked a 1,000 times, the demeanor is rehearsed... I'll admit that.
    With the current crop of rabid, militant anti-gunners, *I Think* (personally) demeanor is important,
    You just never know when it's a troll or ligitimate question...
    SO...

I step back slightly, look deep in thought, take my time to answer...
    Even though the answer is obvious, I *Try* to look like I'm in respectful thought.
    When I speak, it's calmly and clearly.

I *Attempt* to correct the term 'Gun' for 'Firearm', and I usually emphasize EDUCATION.
    I emphasize the responsibility of owning a firearm.
    I tell them a firearms safety class will usually give them the option of firing several types and making a selection based on what fits them best.
    I recommend they start with something simple that runs (emphasis on 'RUNS'), and something that is smaller caliber/cheaper to shoot so they go learn how to hit a target.

----------------

Since I actually conceal carry in town, I rarely get into the emotional, screaming confrontations.
    When I'm somewhere the subject comes up, I stay as rational & calm as possible, since every militant anti-gunner is reacting on an emotional level, I *Try* to calm things down so the rational part of the brain starts to work in them.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't and you simply waste breath...
    It's not the first time, it won't be the last time unless I drop dead today, so it's no big deal.
    I at least tried, and the added benefit is anyone watching (and the militants always want an audience) sees a firearms owner as a calm, rational person under attack, while the screaming militant looks/acts like a lunatic off their meds. (Which always makes me smile when I'm away from the situation)

Don't get me wrong, I can get quite worked up, we all can...
    I'm just not about to do it while I'm carrying a firearm, even with a permit.
    The LAST thing I want is police showing up to TWO screaming people, one is a ARMED man, guess who the police firearms get pointed at?
    Guess who's police file gets an 'Armed Contact' notation for every other police department to find on the computer from that day forward?

-----------

As for what firearm question...
    The one that runs as close to 100% of the time you know of.
    One that's smaller/cheaper caliber so it's fun to shoot, it doesn't break your shoulder/wrist, easily manageable recoil, your ears don't take a beating, and your wallet doesn't go inverted! ;)

I start new shooters on pellet guns.
    Cost, recoil & sound are all really small, so you can work on fundamentals like safety, sighting & trigger control.

Then it's time for actual firearms, it's a .17 HMR or .22 LR.
    Again, no broken budgets, shoulders or eardrums...
    I find even the smallest woman or child into double digits in age can manage a bolt rimfire, and with the cost it's not a problem cutting down the stocks for the smaller folks.

If you don't think back to plinking with a pea shooter and it still puts a grin on your face, you probably didn't grow up with BB/pellet guns and .22 LR.
    Just seeing the looks on faces when they experience this takes me back, the big grins & sense of accomplishment when point of impact is point of aim is still fun to watch!

Then it's 10/22 rifles to introduce them to semi-auto.
    I still stress single shot placement, but everyone gets the big grin back when they click off rounds, and a 10/22 is about as cost efficient/reliable as pea shooters come.

Once they learn SAFE HANDLING and some basics, then they can choose more powerful firearms.

-----------

How do you guys handle the newbies & trolls?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If someone asks an honest question, they get an honest answer.
    Them: Hey! What do you carry?
    Me: Springfield XD. You?

If they are a smartass, they may well get a smart answer.
    Them: OMG! Is that a gun? How many babies have you killed?!?!?!
    Me: None today, but the day is still young. You?

Goes for about any topic.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What's wrong with saying "gun"? After all, aren't we on a gun ownership forum?

I do try to use the term "firearm" whenever possible as opposed to "gun", or worse, "weapon." It does serve to soften the term a little and get non gun people to think of it more as a tool.

It's the same reason why Democrats call illegal aliens "undocumented workers." It's all part of the softening of language and it's designed to win hearts and minds.

I do cringe when I hear people talk about their "carry weapon." Personally, my firearm is a defensive tool only, and calling it a "weapon" has too much of an offensive connotation and presumes I'm carrying it to be prepared to go into battle.

As to the general question, if I am open carrying, which I do from time to time, I understand it may drawn attention, questions and comments, and I must be calm, cool and collected in my demeanor and response.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We were in Wal Mart one day and I conceal however at times it's apparent either by printing or my shirt getting hung up. Either way during this trip to Wally world the soccer mom standing behind me started in on me. After all the usual BS I calmly told her that my firearm was not there so I could be the hero as she suggested, rather it was there so I could shoot her in the leg thereby making it easier for the crazed gunmen to catch and kill her and hers while me and mine safely made our exit.

A guy two lines over busted out laughing!:yesway:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do cringe when I hear people talk about their "carry weapon." Personally, my firearm is a defensive tool only, and calling it a "weapon" has too much of an offensive connotation and presumes I'm carrying it to be prepared to go into battle.
    I carry a gun to be prepared to go into battle.

I don't seek a battle, but one comes to me...

I consider my XD a weapon; I don't consider my Mark III a weapon; my Mosin Nagant was a weapon in its other life, etc., etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I carry a gun to be prepared to go into battle.

I don't seek a battle, but one comes to me...

I consider my XD a weapon; I don't consider my Mark III a weapon; my Mosin Nagant was a weapon in its other life, etc., etc.

This is my mindset too, but it's not the tone I want to set when having a conversation with Susie Soccer mom from Carmel.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    When people ask questions, how do you answer?
    Not only the answer, but how you act as you answer?

I watched a full volume screaming crap fight between a guy open carrying and a couple soccer moms in a fast food restaurant this weekend, and it was so stupid I can't even express it.
    The soccer moms had kids with them, they got triggered, and the guy carrying triggered about 10 seconds later.

Now I know the argument about open carry, and concealed carry...
    Without getting into that argument, you simply don't have these issues when you conceal.

Since the argument/screaming match happened in line in front of me, I simply left when the soccer moms called police.

So the guy standing in line, engaging in a legal activity, was set upon and berated by a person that has no idea what they are talking about?

And we (the royal we) somehow are placing blame on the guy that was minding his own business?

hmjpi0a.gif

Treat others as you want to be treated. < I just made this up honest!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Actually, I have a hard time reading facial expressions so I often don't know when people are trying to be trolls, or ask serious questions.
    I *Try* to give the appearance of respect to the person until it becomes clear what they are up to...

I have exactly zero use for a smart-a**.
    If you don't understand, ask questions.
    If they don't possess enough IQ points to carry on a simple conversation, then I simply walk off, or kick them to the curb if it's my space.

Be polite, or be gone...
    I'm way too old for the idiots, I just don't have the time.

----------

I find it odd that people take up for the firearm owner...
    While the soccer moms were CLEARLY in the wrong, engaging in a screaming argument about an open carry (with no way for them to know if it was legal or not) was bad enough,
    But by trying to justify the screaming meltdown by the firearm owner, which was clearly in the wrong also, baffles me...

Two wrongs don't make anyone 'Right'.

The fact the firearm owner was open carrying, around kids & random people, and then melted down in seconds when someone called him on his actions... I don't see much of a difference between him and the soccer moms, with the exception the soccer moms didn't have a firearm hanging off a shorts pocket with kids around.

The 6 foot plus man 8" away from random stranger's faces, pointing the finger within an inch of the woman's face, screaming at the top of his lungs with every cuss words he could think of didn't steer me to his 'Side' of being competent to own a firearm...
    Despite the women melting down.

Option one, I hang around and tell the police what I saw, but I'm sure the video will be a better witness than me.
    Option two, I can try to defuse the situation, but crazy doesn't defuse very easily, and there is a firearm involved.
    Option three, I go get burgers someplace else.

I took option three, but what would someone else do?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a list of answers and facial expressions at the ready depending on who what and here. Soccer moms have their own list. Again depending on levels of idiocy. STFU and go away is on that list.

But I will be putting FM 77's response right at the top. I love it.

Most times we attempt to be responsible 2-A representatives. But in light of escalating stupid my patience has been worn seriously thin.

Top Bottom