• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our privacy fence is being overgrown from the other side by those worthless grease trees (locals name for the..??) that over grow the fence lines. The trees are pushing my fence in. I want to kill them. Naturally. The tenants are pretty useless (go figure) so I am down to this.

Do any of you know of an off the shelf product or a personal concoction that you know will work. I have to do something before the fence is ruined.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    These are trees on someone else's property?

If so, I'd get it in writing that they've given you permission to kill them.

Tree law isn't something to be taken lightly... read lots of stories with tens of thousands of dollars in penalties.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These are trees on someone else's property?

If so, I'd get it in writing that they've given you permission to kill them.

Tree law isn't something to be taken lightly... read lots of stories with tens of thousands of dollars in penalties.

If you run the property line they are actually on my property. When the previous owner set up the fence he allowed for the utility easement. I have looked into this and yes that is my yard for a foot and a half the other side of the fence. You can see where the fence line jogs in the next yard over. So push come to shove I am good to go.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Stihl produces some helpful items for dealing with overgrown trees.

Playtex too if you have patience for the girdle to take effect.

kill-a-tree.jpg

Interesting other options when I Googled a girdling image...

maxresdefault.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've personally used a solid mix of diesel with a heavy amount of round up concentrate to kill stuff off but I'm not sure what it'd even do to tress as large as it sounds these are. Buddy of mine has something he'd mix up and spray on the base of the tree and put it on the ground next to thorny locus trees he wanted dead on his property. However, I'm not sure what it'd do to any grass around them. I'll ask him what it is though.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Our privacy fence is being overgrown from the other side by those worthless grease trees (locals name for the..??) that over grow the fence lines. The trees are pushing my fence in. I want to kill them. Naturally. The tenants are pretty useless (go figure) so I am down to this.

Do any of you know of an off the shelf product or a personal concoction that you know will work. I have to do something before the fence is ruined.

...thereby creating a paper trail that you want the trees dead.

Sometimes trees just die....for various reasons....

A strong dose of Tordon applied to the ground on your side of the fence to control invasive plants will almost certainly have enough ground activity to get the job done. Especially if accidentally applied before a light rain.

Copper Sulfate will work as well with more of a long term effect.

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Tordon is the answer. It's labeled for brush killer and is available at most farm stores without a pesticide license. Best way is to injure the bark to the growth layer and spray the cut. A saw or hatchet to girdle it and then add tordon will quickly kill the tree and stump.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've personally used a solid mix of diesel with a heavy amount of round up concentrate to kill stuff off but I'm not sure what it'd even do to tress as large as it sounds these are. Buddy of mine has something he'd mix up and spray on the base of the tree and put it on the ground next to thorny locus trees he wanted dead on his property. However, I'm not sure what it'd do to any grass around them. I'll ask him what it is though.

They are just saplings at best. But they are pushing on the fence.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have fought 2 that would just come back up the next year. What worked is I cut them at ground level with my little rechargeable chain saw, put a couple of big flower pots over the stumps and put a brick on top so it wouldn't blow away. I left them there all summer and all winter. No regrowth at all, but the stumps are still there at ground level.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Tordon is the answer. It's labeled for brush killer and is available at most farm stores without a pesticide license. Best way is to injure the bark to the growth layer and spray the cut. A saw or hatchet to girdle it and then add tordon will quickly kill the tree and stump.

Use to use Tordon when clear cutting ditch banks and the trees will never grow again. Not even mulberrys

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Roundup or some other heavy duty weed killer sprayed on them. I accidentally killed some of my little fruit trees by being too liberal with the spraying, even though I tried to contain the spray. I learned that young trees are very vulnerable to such over the counter sprays.:facepalm:

Regards,

Doug

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I just cut down my mulberry tree that was growing into the neighbors yard. Every bird in the neighborhood would hang out in the trees surrounding it, and the cars were their after dinner target.

Top Bottom