• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wife's 2007 T&C's AC has been pretty weak for the past year or so. It keeps us cool enough, but takes a while to really cool down. Especially when its been parked outside and is nice and toasty on the inside.

She called to say its not cooling as well, and they smell a weird smell inside the van. When they got out they didnt smell it anymore so they know it wasnt coming from the engine compartment, brakes, etc.

And of course the fam couldnt describe exactly what it smelled like.

So can anyone describe the smell? Does it even have an odor?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wife's 2007 T&C's AC has been pretty weak for the past year or so. It keeps us cool enough, but takes a while to really cool down. Especially when its been parked outside and is nice and toasty on the inside.

She called to say its not cooling as well, and they smell a weird smell inside the van. When they got out they didnt smell it anymore so they know it wasnt coming from the engine compartment, brakes, etc.

And of course the fam couldnt describe exactly what it smelled like.

So can anyone describe the smell? Does it even have an odor?

The refrigerant does not have any odor. You're smelling something else!

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Been turning wrenches for 15 years, and I have to say, at least to me, R134a has a barnyard smell to it to me. When I get into a hot car, and that's the first thing I smell, it will grab the A/C leak sniffer and check. More often than not, it's got a leak.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    R-134 doesn't have much of an odor (at least that I can tell), however the oil used in automotive a/c systems *does* have a distinct odor. A pretty common indicator of an evaporator failure is a chemical odor apparent when you first start the car (or first run the hvac fan) that goes away after a short time.

I can't really describe the odor (smells like PAG oil...lol), but i'd be glad to look at it and give my opinion if that helps...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. Barnyard/earthy smell did come up.

But I’m sitting here in the van and my ear is cold from all the cool air blowing on it.

And im pretty sure if the Evap coil had a leak it would be empty by now. But it’s still cooling.

If anything I think the compressor is weak.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    R-134 doesn't have much of an odor (at least that I can tell), however the oil used in automotive a/c systems *does* have a distinct odor. A pretty common indicator of an evaporator failure is a chemical odor apparent when you first start the car (or first run the hvac fan) that goes away after a short time.

I can't really describe the odor (smells like PAG oil...lol), but i'd be glad to look at it and give my opinion if that helps...

Winner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks guys. Barnyard/earthy smell did come up.

But I’m sitting here in the van and my ear is cold from all the cool air blowing on it.

And im pretty sure if the Evap coil had a leak it would be empty by now. But it’s still cooling.

If anything I think the compressor is weak.

OK. Having raised a family and still surrounded by woman/estrogen if they do not get the cab cooled down from the 95*s it was as it sat out in the sun in the 5 blocks they drove home it has a problem. Or so I have come to realize.

2007.....good chance it is low just a tad. Composite hoses and the compressor seal are the usual suspects. Until you put some gauges on it you are only guessing. Down on charge the suction pressure will be low. Don a lot the compressor cycles. Suction to high with the engine rev's at 2K You might have an issue with the pump. Just guessing here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK. Having raised a family and still surrounded by woman/estrogen if they do not get the cab cooled down from the 95*s it was as it sat out in the sun in the 5 blocks they drove home it has a problem. Or so I have come to realize.

2007.....good chance it is low just a tad. Composite hoses and the compressor seal are the usual suspects. Until you put some gauges on it you are only guessing. Down on charge the suction pressure will be low. Don a lot the compressor cycles. Suction to high with the engine rev's at 2K You might have an issue with the pump. Just guessing here.

I think the pump could also be weak. its been slow to cool for the past 3 years. But within 20 mins its OK, but still cant quite keep up when we get near 100.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It might just be a shade low. That will cause the issues you describe.

It was. I hooked up a refill kit and had to add a bit. Its back in the green, and now the compressor sounds better and not as switchy (you could hear the clutch engaging and dropping regularly). Still no cooler out the vents. but we will see tomorrow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was. I hooked up a refill kit and had to add a bit. Its back in the green, and now the compressor sounds better and not as switchy (you could hear the clutch engaging and dropping regularly). Still no cooler out the vents. but we will see tomorrow.

Yup you were low if the pump was cycling.

When you put it in the green was the engine idling.
    The engine needs to be at 30 to 40 and cruising. 1500 to 1800 RPM's and see where its at then.

That puts the pump in the sweet spot.

Top Bottom