• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    For so many years I have use "YAHOO.COM" as my home page.
    Microsoft did one of their NOT requested updates.
    Now "MSN" is my home page and I can not change it back to "YAHOO".

ANY help or suggestions.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    This doesn't help your immediate concern; but might be of interest for the future. Install a firewall like "TinyWall" and block future updates by blocking "Windows Update" under the "Special Exceptions" tab.

You will also not get security updates by doing this.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can't really help with the Explorer/Edge issue, but it is a strange world in which locking down a browser home page is the rough equivalent of apotheosis.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I use Firefox, but in Firefox, under Tools, Options, Home, it has a place to set your home page to whatever you want it to be. Pretty sure Explorer or Edge would have something similar.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just took a quick look. There has to be a way to do it, but it's buried pretty deep, unless I missed the obvious.

I agree with the others that this might be a good time to start learning the nuances of another browser. Myself I give it all up to Google chrome, but there are certainly arguments about that choice also.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Channeling my inner Richard Dawkins, but if you click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the Edge browser, it pulls up the "settings" list, choose "settings" at the bottom, then General, and under the Customize section there's a "Open Microsoft Edge with" and a dropdown. If you select "a specific page or pages" then you should be able to enter whatever you want into that URL.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Channeling my inner Richard Dawkins, but if you click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the Edge browser, it pulls up the "settings" list, choose "settings" at the bottom, then General, and under the Customize section there's a "Open Microsoft Edge with" and a dropdown. If you select "a specific page or pages" then you should be able to enter whatever you want into that URL.

I'd prefer you if channel your inner Richard Dawson.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Using Google Chrome, there is a settings page that lets you choose what shows on start up.

That said, I love microsoft. They were nice enough to put a full screen message on my screen when I woke up my computer this morning telling me that they will no longer support Windows 7 after some time in January. No problem, that is their right, but they then told me that my computer was junk and that "upgrading to Windows 10" was not an option. Yeah, like any new Windows level was an upgrade. Too bad that I like 7, and since they told me to back up my PC and then buy a new one preloaded with 10, I am seriously considering breaking down and spending the extra money on an Apple.

So Spike, check your browser set up to find either a load page or what home page you desire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Using Google Chrome, there is a settings page that lets you choose what shows on start up.

That said, I love microsoft. They were nice enough to put a full screen message on my screen when I woke up my computer this morning telling me that they will no longer support Windows 7 after some time in January. No problem, that is their right, but they then told me that my computer was junk and that "upgrading to Windows 10" was not an option. Yeah, like any new Windows level was an upgrade. Too bad that I like 7, and since they told me to back up my PC and then buy a new one preloaded with 10, I am seriously considering breaking down and spending the extra money on an Apple.

So Spike, check your browser set up to find either a load page or what home page you desire.

I did forgot to mention that I use "Firefox" as my browser. I also have the highest level of security selected STRICK.
    The only thing that I allow to up-date is Firefox.
    That did not stop MSN. When I would shut down my laptop. it would not shut down because MSN was doing an update.
    Another is when I would turn it on. The update screen would appear and up-date NO stopping it.
    When EVER I am shutting down my laptop. I always turn off OR go to SO-CALLED "airplane mode".

I also clear cookies and history when leaving the internet.
    I only go off "airplane mode" when I am going onto the internet.

My other laptop was shut down my MSN. I also received noticed that hey will not support W-7.
    Several long running personal programs stopped running. Then the system started to just go wacky.
    Now it is just a paper weight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I started to browse my bookmarks.
    I opened an old bookmark for a "you Tube" video.
    I have been there many times.
    Now "facebook" opens and is forcing me to sign into "facebook".
    For a couple of seconds it just covered the bottom of the screen.
    Then it covered the entire screen and will not let me view "youtube".

I was so use to it. this subject got me thinking.
    to view "youtube" I have to sign into Google.
    This whole world is bring controlled by select few.

What happen to the free and open "INTERNET"?

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'd prefer you if channel your inner Richard Dawson.

YES!!!!!
    The_Running_Man_Killian_Richard_Dawson.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Spike, since you have Firefox, then you can set your own home page as I described earlier.
    1) Click on Tools at the top of your browser, then click Options. This will open a new tab.
    2) On the left side of the new tab (screen) you will see General on top, then Home right under that. Click on Home.
    3) Kind of in the middle, near the top of the page, you will see New Windows and Tabs. Just under that you will see Homepage and new windows.
    4) There is a box you can type in that probably now has the URL for the MSN home page. Change that to https//www.yahoo.com and you should be good to go. Close the tab that was opened up when you clicked on Options and go back to your original tab/screen. Click on the little house (Home) icon at the upper left and it should take you to Yahoo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Spike, since you have Firefox, then you can set your own home page as I described earlier.
    1) Click on Tools at the top of your browser, then click Options. This will open a new tab.
    2) On the left side of the new tab (screen) you will see General on top, then Home right under that. Click on Home.
    3) Kind of in the middle, near the top of the page, you will see New Windows and Tabs. Just under that you will see Homepage and new windows.
    4) There is a box you can type in that probably now has the URL for the MSN home page. Change that to https//www.yahoo.com and you should be good to go. Close the tab that was opened up when you clicked on Options and go back to your original tab/screen. Click on the little house (Home) icon at the upper left and it should take you to Yahoo.

This is what I initially did. Yahoo.com was my home page. Then MSN changed it to "BING". I typed in "YAHOO.COM" and moved the lock to the house many times. Yahoo would be there for a time and then it would change to Bing.
    Now MSN stays as home page.

Just now I followed your instructions. in the light blue/gray window= "custom url" below in a white window trimed by a dark frame is "https://Yahoo.com.com/"

"MSN" is the home page that opens when i start my Firefox.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is what I initially did. Yahoo.com was my home page. Then MSN changed it to "BING". I typed in "YAHOO.COM" and moved the lock to the house many times. Yahoo would be there for a time and then it would change to Bing.
    Now MSN stays as home page.

Just now I followed your instructions. in the light blue/gray window= "custom url" below in a white window trimed by a dark frame is "https://Yahoo.com.com/"

"MSN" is the home page that opens when i start my Firefox.
    I don't think https://Yahoo.com.com/ is a valid URL. Try changing it to https://www.yahoo.com and see if that works. You were in the right place, but I just think the URL might have been the problem.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've been on Linux exclusively for a couple of years except for one windoze 7 laptop I use for a couple of special printers I've been too lazy to put under WINE. When I bought the laptop I'm on, I just wiped the drive and started fresh with mint Serena, now Tessa. Aside from those printers, I have everything I want. You don't have to be a propellerhead to run it anymore; it's almost as easy as windoze, but if you want to geek out on it, you can. It doesn't pull any of that crap with homepages and unauthorized updates etc. The biggest thing is you can trust it. It's all open source, and people can dig in and see everything any software does. You don't have to wonder what malware micro$oft has planted in your operating system. You also don't have to pay for that rotten apple logo :spend:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've been on Linux exclusively for a couple of years except for one windoze 7 laptop I use for a couple of special printers I've been too lazy to put under WINE. When I bought the laptop I'm on, I just wiped the drive and started fresh with mint Serena, now Tessa. Aside from those printers, I have everything I want. You don't have to be a propellerhead to run it anymore; it's almost as easy as windoze, but if you want to geek out on it, you can. It doesn't pull any of that crap with homepages and unauthorized updates etc. The biggest thing is you can trust it. It's all open source, and people can dig in and see everything any software does. You don't have to wonder what malware micro$oft has planted in your operating system. You also don't have to pay for that rotten apple logo :spend:

This. The most solid answer so far. Linux is pretty easy to USE anymore. Some of the admin and special stuff still has me boggled, but just general use is very simple. I managed to get my mother, in her 70's, transitioned over to Mint late last year. After a couple weeks of the occasional question she's got the hang of it.

Top Bottom