• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Hey INGO. Would love to hear your guys' thoughts on this.

I'm a undergrad student at IU Bloomington and I've settled on a Political Science and Philosophy major (that is all one major). I love studying and learning about classic political texts as well as more contemporary issues. I know many think PoliSci is a useless degree but I would disagree...

Anyway, I've obviously needed to think how to integrate my studies into a legitimate career path down the road. I recently learned that a longtime family friend is a Non-commisioned Officer with the Air Force. I've known him for as long as I can remember but I only recently came to know that he is an NCO. I had a very long and lengthy discussion with him about the perks and downsides of a military officer career. He recommended that if I'm truly interested, I should finish college because I've already started and after I've earned a bachelor's degree, I can apply to officer schools.

The more I think about it, the more this appeals to me. Every military officer I've met carry themselves extremely professionally and seem to be honest, goodhearted people, especially the family friend (who I really consider more of an Uncle than a friend). He is the epitome of badass, an excellent family man and community-minded person.

Can any of you guys here speak to the pros and cons of becoming a military officer? Perhaps which branch of the military you might recommend? Perhaps anything I can do now while pursuing my undergrad degree that could prepare me even more? Or if I need to provide more information for you to give any advice, I will gladly do that as well.

Any advice would be very well appreciated. :ingo:

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Full disclosure: SMSgt, USAF Retired (Active duty 1986-2007)

If you get a chance to be a commissioned officer in the USAF, take it.

Officers: get paid more, treated better, quite often held to lower standards.

You go where Big Blue says. You do the job you are assigned by individuals who are checking boxes. Pre-Med? We need Supply Officers! You are now a Supply Officer.

Outside of Operations (Pilot, Nav, Air Battle Manager, Weather, Intel, Air Liaison Officer (you call close air support), Pararescue, Combat Control, etc.) and with few exceptions: you will be a manager. The J-O-B your troops perform will not be something you do. Have faith that they are here to take care of business and know their stuff. When I was a Supply troop back in the day? I once used the phrase, "people with high school diplomas dumbing stuff down for people with Master's Degrees." It's funny, because it's true. Nothing wrong with that, the highly trained technicians make stuff happen. The officers (and a lot of Senior NCOs) lead and manage. I changed career fields at the right time and got to do the job I was trained for pretty much until my last year when I was a Squadron Superintendent.

Best advice for being in the military: be on time, don't do drugs. There are a few other things too, you'll figure them out. Look out for your folks (and that can mean multiple things) and enjoy the ride.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Thank you for the write-up! I have a follow-up question: I have at least 2 years left of undergraduate study at IU. Anything you recommend I should do while I'm completing my studies? Should I join ROTC (or any other organization)? Consider a certain major/minor?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Do what Kelly said!

Meanwhile in the Army
    Junior Officers work hard and tend to get killed often.

DA4E65DC-8F15-49F9-8985-823945A4B5E1.png

Attachments

• B3D9770A-C047-4A8E-B6D4-68D4C2326622.jpeg
      B3D9770A-C047-4A8E-B6D4-68D4C2326622.jpeg
      82.8 KB · Views: 36
    • C2126CB1-CD47-413A-B673-5BC6ABC5F901.jpeg
      C2126CB1-CD47-413A-B673-5BC6ABC5F901.jpeg
      69.1 KB · Views: 34

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thank you for the write-up! I have a follow-up question: I have at least 2 years left of undergraduate study at IU. Anything you recommend I should do while I'm completing my studies? Should I join ROTC (or any other organization)? Consider a certain major/minor?

You should talk to a recruiter now. There's a few options...

I'll talk to my brother who was an army recruiter before he switched to the air force.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son spent a decent portion of last year exploring enlisting in the Army after graduating from college under enlistment program 9D (OCS Enlistment Option). After numerous meetings with a recruiter, he was informed that his mild asthma would be a no-go to become an officer and would probably bar his enlistment altogether (which seems kinda harsh for a guy who can pass the PFT and was going to probably enlist in Signal anyway).

I say that to say this, I did 3 (non consecutive) semesters of ROTC, 1 with no military background, and then 2 more after I had enlisted and was serving in the Michigan National Guard. It is a great program (or can be), but if I was close to graduating from college, I would explore the 9D option instead...but again, I'm an Army guy.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best advice for being in the military: be on time, don't do drugs. There are a few other things too, you'll figure them out.

Like don't salute a sergeant.

I still cringe every time I picture myself in uniform walking on the sidewalk and coming the other way is Sergeant Johnson...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I wonder if you can get in at this stage - assuming it hasn't changed, this would be the summer where you should be in Lackland, TX training.

If you're nearby, it'd be worth a phone call and visit to the armory on campus to talk it over with the CO.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Like don't salute a sergeant.

I still cringe every time I picture myself in uniform walking on the sidewalk and coming the other way is Sergeant Johnson...
    Unless, you are in the Republic of Korea. Those ROK troops salute everybody in uniform. It’s all good, ROKy takes care of business.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think you have a misconception about a NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer).
    NCOs in the Army... Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, etc.
    NCOs in the Navy... Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer, etc.

They are still enlisted. They are NOT officers.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    My son spent a decent portion of last year exploring enlisting in the Army after graduating from college under enlistment program 9D (OCS Enlistment Option). After numerous meetings with a recruiter, he was informed that his mild asthma would be a no-go to become an officer and would probably bar his enlistment altogether (which seems kinda harsh for a guy who can pass the PFT and was going to probably enlist in Signal anyway).

I say that to say this, I did 3 semesters of ROTC, 1 with no no background, and then 2 more after I had enlisted in the Michigan National Guard. It is a great program (or can be), but if I was close to graduating from college, I would explore the 9D option instead...but again, I'm an Army guy.

Thanks for the advice. The 9d seems to makes most sense.

Time to talk to a recruiter!

I think you have a misconception about a NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer).
    NCOs in the Army... Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, etc.
    NCOs in the Navy... Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer, etc.

They are still enlisted. They are NOT officers.

Ahh that's right, thanks. Just to be clear, my family friend who is an NCO told me I should try to become a commisioned officer.

Top Bottom