• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've covered a lot of ground over the years, so I wouldn't mind some new scenery. Would anyone happen to have a recommendation on places to go, things to see, or places a guy should eat while out on the bike? I'm in Monroe County just South of Bloomington, but I have a touring bike, so Northern Indiana or a neighboring state wouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I got one of those 'Fork In The Road' books and browsed food joints.
    We also got a festivals & promotions book, it included things like a mosquito festival, turkey trot, strassen fest, strawberry festival, all that in southern Indiana.

If you want to take a 2 lane road trip, hit US 50 and pick a direction.
    Several state parks along/around 50.

If you want a LONG vacation trip, hit US 60 and go east across KY & WV.
    Old 60 across WV is a REAL ride for a touring bike, on the other side of Charleston it hits a crap ton of great curvy/hilly roads, often through Parks and such. DON'T be in a hurry! LOTS of tight turns but great views.

US 60 from Owensboro KY to way over past Frankfort is the 'Burbon Trail' if you are a 'Sipper'...
    It's not but a couple days, but distilleries and wineries, historical places too.

I know it's not what everyone does, but I rode down US 1 on the east coast all the way to Key West, came back up along the gulf, went west on 10, hit 101 on the west coast and turned right, came back across 90 back to 1 and back to SC.
    The next leave (military) I rode US 50 from Ocean City DE, stopped at home in Indiana, then rode 50 West to Ocean View CA.
    I still haven't rode route 66 the entire way, but I've knocked out US 41 from Chicago to South FL.
    (We like FL)

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I got one of those 'Fork In The Road' books and browsed food joints.
    We also got a festivals & promotions book, it included things like a mosquito festival, turkey trot, strassen fest, strawberry festival, all that in southern Indiana.

If you want to take a 2 lane road trip, hit US 50 and pick a direction.
    Several state parks along/around 50.

If you want a LONG vacation trip, hit US 60 and go east across KY & WV.
    Old 60 across WV is a REAL ride for a touring bike, on the other side of Charleston it hits a crap ton of great curvy/hilly roads, often through Parks and such. DON'T be in a hurry! LOTS of tight turns but great views.

US 60 from Owensboro KY to way over past Frankfort is the 'Burbon Trail' if you are a 'Sipper'...
    It's not but a couple days, but distilleries and wineries, historical places too.

I know it's not what everyone does, but I rode down US 1 on the east coast all the way to Key West, came back up along the gulf, went west on 10, hit 101 on the west coast and turned right, came back across 90 back to 1 and back to SC.
    The next leave (military) I rode US 50 from Ocean City DE, stopped at home in Indiana, then rode 50 West to Ocean View CA.
    I still haven't rode route 66 the entire way, but I've knocked out US 41 from Chicago to South FL.
    (We like FL)

Thanks for these suggestions. I am mostly looking for day long rides, but your recommendations will come in handy when vacation rolls around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We loved the sunshine and Blue Ridge Parkway's. It is a bit of a haul and definitely a few days there touring but you will have a hard time topping that area.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    A few years back my wife and I crossed into Canada on the Goldwing at Port Huron, MI and drove to Niagra Falls. We crossed into MY at the Falls then up through NY and into Maine. Headed to the Coast and spent some time with some friends out there and had some fresh lobster off the docks. Maine is an absolutely beautiful state for a bike ride. Maybe a little too far for you though.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Many Great Rides New Orleans one of My Favorites. Easy to do in 2 days each way, I've done in 1 but that's Hauling Hay. Back-roads Baby, Interstate Only when Necessary. Indiana to Nashville, Natchez Trace Parkway, Mississippi to New Orleans. Many Civil War Battle Sites and the Home of Elvis. Stay in the Quarter for the Most FUN. Hotel in the Quarter with safe bike indoor parking. IF You take the Trace, add 2 days, SPEED & Stops. You'll love it. East Tennessee, have Friends who live there, Great Ride, Great Scenery. Many Trips out there. (https://styleblueprint.com/everyday/where-to-stop-on-the-natchez-trace-parkway/)

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    A nice all day ride for a Saturday or Sunday is to take 46 east out of Bloomington to 135 south. 135 south all the way to 62 west. You can stay on 62 or jump off onto 66 west and go to 231 returning to Bloomington on 54.

A long weekend ride is a trip to SE Ohio. Nice roads over there east and north of Athens include 555, 550, 60, 83, and especially 78.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Consider visiting every county seat and taking a picture of the courthouse. Central counties for you would be easy - far north and far south could still be a day trip

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Head down to the Lou. Louisville slugger museum, 4th Street Live! on weekends, brewskis fresh out of the brewery, Louisville Down Under, etc. Hotlanta has aquarium, Coca Cola headquarters, tons of fun.
    I wish my shoulder wasn't trashed so I could ride those routes again or have cruise control on my Fatbob.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Dock Restaurant, The
    764 Nelson St, Leavenworth, IN 47137
    (812) 739-4449
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/mhTwSX7bJGZWEUYW7

I'll second this!
    Fried green tomatoes and rider friendly.
    Always a gaggle of bikes on weekends.

A day ride around Patoka lake, French Lick & West Baden have good food,
    Petersburg IN has a good BBQ joint, real pit cooking.

37 in Bedford, down 450 and Williams Dam to Shoals, which has a Drive In restaurant (on 50), then pick a direction...
    If you haven't been to Vincennes (west on 50) there is the George Rodgers Clark stuff.
    East there is 150 out of Shoals down to Floyd Knobs just north of Louisville. The Shoals end of 150 is quite the ride, not quite a curvy as 450 but a good ride.
    We often get off 150 on/about 135 and run down to the Overlook suggested earlier.

What we avoid now is Brown County.
    Great riding up that way, but WAY too many 4 wheeler tourists on the wrong side of the road in the curves.
    Nashville area has become a 'Tourists Destination' and they come out of the woodwork for it.

US 50 has a state wide 'Yard Sale' week, I avoid 50 during that week, it's stop & go or a crawl with all the yard sale types on/off/across the highway.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you have plenty of time, a ride around Lake Michigan would be the cat's a55. One of my buddies asked me to ride this last year but my shoulder doesn't permit it. You can Google all the eateries along the route as many riders have done the loop...

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Some years back, my older brother and I did the Smoky Mountains on Honda VT600's. Beautiful scenery and lots of curves to down shift to save brake wear! Roads were decent, we came back tired, but with smiles and memories. Great trip!

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Some years back, my older brother and I did the Smoky Mountains on Honda VT600's. Beautiful scenery and lots of curves to down shift to save brake wear! Roads were decent, we came back tired, but with smiles and memories. Great trip!

Great trip, but again would be over a long weekend. The downside to Memorial or Labor Day is that all the sport bike riders are in the Deal’s Gap area and not the best weekends for casual riding.

Hit me up if you like, I’ve planned many, many group rides for those long weekends to some nice curvy twisty roads.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I appreciate everyone taking the time to drop a reply. I went to Terre Haute Saturday to check out a place called Rick's Smokehouse, then took a long slow ride down to Madison and back on Sunday.

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    I'll hop onto this post, (if that's ok) any good rides or places to stop in or just around Indianapolis? Just quick around the city rides that are fun or have some cool places along the way to stop.

Thanks!

Top Bottom