Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Motorcycle Trip Recommendations

I've covered a lot of ground over the years, so I wouldn't mind some new scenery. Would anyone happen to have a recommendation on places to go, things to see, or places a guy should eat while out on the bike? I'm in Monroe County just South of Bloomington, but I have a touring bike, so Northern Indiana or a neighboring state wouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

Expert

User Info Menu

I got one of those 'Fork In The Road' books and browsed food joints.
    We also got a festivals & promotions book, it included things like a mosquito festival, turkey trot, strassen fest, strawberry festival, all that in southern Indiana.

If you want to take a 2 lane road trip, hit US 50 and pick a direction.
    Several state parks along/around 50.

If you want a LONG vacation trip, hit US 60 and go east across KY & WV.
    Old 60 across WV is a REAL ride for a touring bike, on the other side of Charleston it hits a crap ton of great curvy/hilly roads, often through Parks and such. DON'T be in a hurry! LOTS of tight turns but great views.

US 60 from Owensboro KY to way over past Frankfort is the 'Burbon Trail' if you are a 'Sipper'...
    It's not but a couple days, but distilleries and wineries, historical places too.

I know it's not what everyone does, but I rode down US 1 on the east coast all the way to Key West, came back up along the gulf, went west on 10, hit 101 on the west coast and turned right, came back across 90 back to 1 and back to SC.
    The next leave (military) I rode US 50 from Ocean City DE, stopped at home in Indiana, then rode 50 West to Ocean View CA.
    I still haven't rode route 66 the entire way, but I've knocked out US 41 from Chicago to South FL.
    (We like FL)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    I got one of those 'Fork In The Road' books and browsed food joints.
    We also got a festivals & promotions book, it included things like a mosquito festival, turkey trot, strassen fest, strawberry festival, all that in southern Indiana.

If you want to take a 2 lane road trip, hit US 50 and pick a direction.
    Several state parks along/around 50.

If you want a LONG vacation trip, hit US 60 and go east across KY & WV.
    Old 60 across WV is a REAL ride for a touring bike, on the other side of Charleston it hits a crap ton of great curvy/hilly roads, often through Parks and such. DON'T be in a hurry! LOTS of tight turns but great views.

US 60 from Owensboro KY to way over past Frankfort is the 'Burbon Trail' if you are a 'Sipper'...
    It's not but a couple days, but distilleries and wineries, historical places too.

I know it's not what everyone does, but I rode down US 1 on the east coast all the way to Key West, came back up along the gulf, went west on 10, hit 101 on the west coast and turned right, came back across 90 back to 1 and back to SC.
    The next leave (military) I rode US 50 from Ocean City DE, stopped at home in Indiana, then rode 50 West to Ocean View CA.
    I still haven't rode route 66 the entire way, but I've knocked out US 41 from Chicago to South FL.
    (We like FL)
    Thanks for these suggestions. I am mostly looking for day long rides, but your recommendations will come in handy when vacation rolls around.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

We loved the sunshine and Blue Ridge Parkway's. It is a bit of a haul and definitely a few days there touring but you will have a hard time topping that area.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

A few years back my wife and I crossed into Canada on the Goldwing at Port Huron, MI and drove to Niagra Falls. We crossed into MY at the Falls then up through NY and into Maine. Headed to the Coast and spent some time with some friends out there and had some fresh lobster off the docks. Maine is an absolutely beautiful state for a bike ride. Maybe a little too far for you though.

User Info Menu

I appreciate the input so far fellas. I have a vacation coming up in a couple of months, so I'm open to any suggestions.

User Info Menu

Many Great Rides New Orleans one of My Favorites. Easy to do in 2 days each way, I've done in 1 but that's Hauling Hay. Back-roads Baby, Interstate Only when Necessary. Indiana to Nashville, Natchez Trace Parkway, Mississippi to New Orleans. Many Civil War Battle Sites and the Home of Elvis. Stay in the Quarter for the Most FUN. Hotel in the Quarter with safe bike indoor parking. IF You take the Trace, add 2 days, SPEED & Stops. You'll love it. East Tennessee, have Friends who live there, Great Ride, Great Scenery. Many Trips out there. (https://styleblueprint.com/everyday/...trace-parkway/)
    Freedom is defined by the character of those who defend it

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

A nice all day ride for a Saturday or Sunday is to take 46 east out of Bloomington to 135 south. 135 south all the way to 62 west. You can stay on 62 or jump off onto 66 west and go to 231 returning to Bloomington on 54.

A long weekend ride is a trip to SE Ohio. Nice roads over there east and north of Athens include 555, 550, 60, 83, and especially 78.
    Eating beavers just to help save trees.

User Info Menu

Consider visiting every county seat and taking a picture of the courthouse. Central counties for you would be easy - far north and far south could still be a day trip

User Info Menu

Dock Restaurant, The
    764 Nelson St, Leavenworth, IN 47137
    (812) 739-4449
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/mhTwSX7bJGZWEUYW7
    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Jagee makes Beetlejuice look like a *****!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast