• edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a door knob entry set that when the lock is locked, the bolt is frozen like a dead bolt.

But when it's unlocked, it works like a spring bolt normal door knob

In years past I've seen these but don't remember who makes them. Thanks

Last edited:

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Pretty much any exterior door latch should do this if the strike plate is adjusted correctly. These locks don't allow the bolt to be pressed in if the deadlock plunger is depressed. If you simply prevent the bolt from retracting when locked, they the door couldn't be closed because the bolt would be stuck out and couldn't retract at all. If the strike plate is not adjusted properly, or the door doesn't fit and can be pulled closed "tighter" so the plunger is released, then yes the bolt can be manually retracted and allow unwanted entry.
    --Rick

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much any exterior door latch should do this if the strike plate is adjusted correctly. These locks don't allow the bolt to be pressed in if the deadlock plunger is depressed. If you simply prevent the bolt from retracting when locked, they the door couldn't be closed because the bolt would be stuck out and couldn't retract at all. If the strike plate is not adjusted properly, or the door doesn't fit and can be pulled closed "tighter" so the plunger is released, then yes the bolt can be manually retracted and allow unwanted entry.
    --Rick

I SWEAR that some years ago, I saw an entry door knob set that worked like a regular door knob spring loaded latch.
    BUT WHEN it was locked, the latch was frozen in place like a dead bolt.
    Then when unlocked, it worked like a normal door knob.

This is an expensive hardwood 6 panel bedroom door that we don't want to bore another hole through for a separate dead bolt lock.
    The door opens IN to the bedroom.

A certain person has demonstrated they're able to get in between the door and striker plate and get the latch open.

It doesn't need to be strong, just keep somebody honest who won't force their way in.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I have a Schlage entry set that extends the latch a half inch to lock. I purchased the lock set from Central Hardware years ago. I don't if they are still available because of the advances in smart locks.

Interior latches seldom provide security. A quality exterior lock should not not be easily defeated.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I SWEAR that some years ago, I saw an entry door knob set that worked like a regular door knob spring loaded latch.
    BUT WHEN it was locked, the latch was frozen in place like a dead bolt.
    Then when unlocked, it worked like a normal door knob.

It sounds like you are describing a "nightlatch" or maybe "gatelatch" however, it seems those were mostly designed to fit on the surface of a door. I'm seeing some by Schlage and Kwikset, but both seem to be key operated only on both sides.
    For further research, checkout "spring latch" and "dead latch". It really sounds like you have a spring latch installed, and yes those are easily bypassed. Even deadlatches, if not installed correctly are easily bypassed. I've found that situation common in quite a bit of industrial and commercial situations. I've found cases where I could bypass the lock quicker than someone could get in with a key when the deadlatch installation was sloppy, either from a mis-fit strike plate, or commonly with a door gap that was excessively wide and didn't adequately depress the deadlatch plunger.

Hope this helps.
    --Rick

Top Bottom