Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olhorseman View Post
    Definitely, trees under tension are very dangerous. I had about 15 large trees and countless smaller ones and limbs downed after hurricane Florence. Ten of the large ones were completely uprooted with root balls over 20' high.

The danger of the root ball and stump flipping back was always possible. Fortunately all the root balls stayed upright. After cutting up the trees I was able to push the root balls and stumps upright with my tractor.

I just used a 16" Stihl 170 for all of the cutting. Smaller saws take longer but their light weight is less tiring if you're having to use one all day and are cutting limbs and trunks.
    WOW! 20' root ball is a whoppin' big tree. Lotta stored energy hiding in plain sight.
    Just call me lollipop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have the same 391-25. It is a cutter it was an upgrade from poblanos pro 20. Definitely a big difference. I use it a lot on my 5 acres. I have a hedge that fell on my pole barn, its tomorrows project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    WOW! 20' root ball is a whoppin' big tree. Lotta stored energy hiding in plain sight.
    This wasn't the largest root ball but at least this pic has a reference for size (SIL in pic is 6' tall)

Hop

User Info Menu

Wow. I just sold my 14" & had to step up to a 20". I lost a huge willow tree in the back yard back in February. That wind storm also destroyed ~60-70' of fence. I've just now gotten it down to a hole in the ground. The chainsaw helped demo the fence too.

Try to not let the chain touch any dirt. Those root balls are tempting and make you think a chainsaw will make quick work of them. Dirt will kill an edge on your chain in no time!

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon. AllenM's Avatar

User Info Menu

This is a timely thread. I just bought 13 acres with a lot of trees and am getting ready to buy a 20" saw. Never thought about some chaps to use.
    07 FFL / SOT 2

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian01 View Post

-Snip-
    But this one has opened my eyes to a whole different world! It is heavy, it is powerful, and it is honestly a bit intimidating. I am certain I will get used to it and master it as I have the others I've used but I must admit to being a little overwhelmed for now. I've always treated chainsaws with respect but this one is going to get a LOT more! I do have faith that with the 25" bar there won't be much that I won't be able to handle a bit easier.

At least I'll have plenty of firewood for this fall and winter.

Regards,

Doug
    Yes, I remember when I got my Stihl MS460 Magnum some years back.
    I quickly got used to the extra power and weight.
    I'm sure you will too.

But at my age, I find that the MS 460 Magnum "beats me up" if I use it for very long, and I have to take more breaks than when using a a smaller saw.
    It's sure worth it's weight in gold when i need a powerful saw for a job that my little saw (a Stihl MS 201 T C-M ) can't handle.
    GCA, Life Member GOA, SAF, NRA & ISRPA

User Info Menu

That's sweet. I love Stihl stuff, especially chainsaws.

Congratulations, just be careful. Sounds like a beast.
    It's ok! I'm an INGO member!

Todd Young (R-IN)
    https://www.young.senate.gov/contact

Mike Braun (R-IN)
    https://www.braun.senate.gov/contact-mike

Find your U.S. Rep
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input. I will have to invest in some chaps. The idea of this thing getting away from me is not a good one.

I found a nice helmet with hearing protection and face protection on Amazon. It will be purchased soon.

I think the idea before with the smaller chainsaws was that if they kicked back, yes, it was dangerous but controllable. With this thing if it truly kicks back it may well be controllable but it will be much, much harder to control. And it may(?) not be controllable.

Still, the idea of having an larger tree trunk to just cut through with ease will be comforting. The power and bar length on this thing will easily save me time and effort for which I am thankful.

Regards,

Doug
    Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late.
    And how can a man die better, Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?" - T.B. Macaulay

"Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was prophecy." - CathyInBlue

"Agent Mulder, every life, every day, is in danger. That's just life." - W. Skinner, X-Files S2E8

User Info Menu

Beware of generic helmets. Comfort is a huge factor with these, as is actual protection ratings. Buy once cry once, and dont buy one you cant try first. (or return free via prime)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bennettjh View Post
    That's sweet. I love Stihl stuff, especially chainsaws.

Congratulations, just be careful. Sounds like a beast.
    I have a Stihl leafblower, hedge trimmer and chainsaw. My string trimmer is an Echo but it's been good to go for years too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast