• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I finally broke down for my country property and bought a new chainsaw, a Stihl MS 391 (Link: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms391/)

Mine has a 25" bar, with 4.4Hp. It was the best/biggest I could do at this time.

I take care of some property out in the country, a bit over 10 acres, and while I don't do much there every day, when I need something done I need it done in a big way. I just mowed today for the first time this year. I tried mowing about a month ago and got stuck in the mud. I had to have the Amish neighbor bring the draft horse and pull me out. Thanks to the ongoing rain this year today was my first real mowing. A few years ago I bought a Bad Boy Outlaw commercial grade mower, which is what I needed today. So this is always my issue with country property, I might not need it a lot but when I need it, I need it.

Thus the drive for a bigger chainsaw. My dad has a nice Stihl with a 16" or 18" bar, but when I have three (3) trees come down in a bad windstorm I can get the job done with is but golly gee whiz it takes a lot of work.

So I finally decide to take the plunge and buy it today, take it out, and try it for the first time on a hardwood tree that fell last year. While it went through it OK I hit the log my cutting limb was leaning on and had a bit of a kickback. It wasn't horrible but I could tell that when that bad boy wants to move - it moves! I have been chainsawing since I was 16 cutting firewood with my dad and have felled over a dozen trees in my life so I'm not unfamiliar with the use of chainsaws.

But this one has opened my eyes to a whole different world! It is heavy, it is powerful, and it is honestly a bit intimidating. I am certain I will get used to it and master it as I have the others I've used but I must admit to being a little overwhelmed for now. I've always treated chainsaws with respect but this one is going to get a LOT more! I do have faith that with the 25" bar there won't be much that I won't be able to handle a bit easier.

At least I'll have plenty of firewood for this fall and winter.

Regards,

Doug

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Doug, make sure you hold it like a sword, not like a scalpel. Surest thing that will getcha killt is running a big saw like a pu@^y. They demand respect, but won't tolerate a wimp either.

2 hands on the saw, left arm straight, chaps on, eyes down, attention singular.

Oh. And don't ever get the idea that you can stop that 13,000 rpm 4+ hp machine before it splits you open. You can't.

Chaps.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Doug, make sure you hold it like a sword, not like a scalpel. Surest thing that will getcha killt is running a big saw like a pu@^y. They demand respect, but won't tolerate a wimp either.

Oh. And don't ever get the idea that you can stop that 13,000 rpm 4+ hp machine before it splits you open. You can't.

Chaps.

Good words. I have smaller saws but have learned to pay full attention at all times. I’d like a bigger saw and hadn’t even really thought yet about what that means from a safety standpoint. Good comments.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Get a smaller 20 inch bar for when you don't need all 25" . You'll be shocked at the weight difference and how much better it balances.

A 391 with a 25 is very nose heavy.

And yes....chaps are a must. Menards sells a less expensive variety than the stihl dealer.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have a 391 and a smaller saw. Really like my Man Saw when you have work to do.

Good advice, gear up and pay attention. Stop when you start to get tired.

Don

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have a really cool scar on my left thigh caused by a momentary lapse in attention.
    What they said about chaps. Much less expensive than the E.R.
    Also, gloves, earpro, and eyes. Most places sell a helmet with muffs and a screen attached.
    Once you get used to wearing it, you'll love the screen.
    2706-FND_1_36.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a really cool scar on my left thigh caused by a momentary lapse in attention.
    What they said about chaps. Much less expensive than the E.R.
    Also, gloves, earpro, and eyes. Most places sell a helmet with muffs and a screen attached.
    Once you get used to wearing it, you'll love the screen.
    View attachment 78129

Yup. Stihl sells two models. Buy the good one. All the parts are replaceable and the good o e is more comfortable.

And definitely watch out for trees under tension. Local logger about lost his head when one that was bent over by one he felled split and hit him in the face when he touched the saw to it. Talkin' skull fractures and reconstructive surgery.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Assless Chaps.

Fixed. :):

Welcome to the club, my friend. I'm the proud owner of an old school O28V. And by old school I mean the bar says "Made in West Germany".

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Yup. Stihl sells two models. Buy the good one. All the parts are replaceable and the good o e is more comfortable.

And definitely watch out for trees under tension. Local logger about lost his head when one that was bent over by one he felled split and hit him in the face when he touched the saw to it. Talkin' skull fractures and reconstructive surgery.
    Definitely, trees under tension are very dangerous. I had about 15 large trees and countless smaller ones and limbs downed after hurricane Florence. Ten of the large ones were completely uprooted with root balls over 20' high.

The danger of the root ball and stump flipping back was always possible. Fortunately all the root balls stayed upright. After cutting up the trees I was able to push the root balls and stumps upright with my tractor.

I just used a 16" Stihl 170 for all of the cutting. Smaller saws take longer but their light weight is less tiring if you're having to use one all day and are cutting limbs and trunks.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Definitely, trees under tension are very dangerous. I had about 15 large trees and countless smaller ones and limbs downed after hurricane Florence. Ten of the large ones were completely uprooted with root balls over 20' high.

The danger of the root ball and stump flipping back was always possible. Fortunately all the root balls stayed upright. After cutting up the trees I was able to push the root balls and stumps upright with my tractor.

I just used a 16" Stihl 170 for all of the cutting. Smaller saws take longer but their light weight is less tiring if you're having to use one all day and are cutting limbs and trunks.

WOW! 20' root ball is a whoppin' big tree. Lotta stored energy hiding in plain sight.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have the same 391-25”. It is a cutter it was an upgrade from poblanos pro 20”. Definitely a big difference. I use it a lot on my 5 acres. I have a hedge that fell on my pole barn, it’s tomorrows project.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow. I just sold my 14" & had to step up to a 20". I lost a huge willow tree in the back yard back in February. That wind storm also destroyed ~60-70' of fence. I've just now gotten it down to a hole in the ground. The chainsaw helped demo the fence too.

Try to not let the chain touch any dirt. Those root balls are tempting and make you think a chainsaw will make quick work of them. Dirt will kill an edge on your chain in no time!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This is a timely thread. I just bought 13 acres with a lot of trees and am getting ready to buy a 20" saw. Never thought about some chaps to use.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

-Snip-
    But this one has opened my eyes to a whole different world! It is heavy, it is powerful, and it is honestly a bit intimidating. I am certain I will get used to it and master it as I have the others I've used but I must admit to being a little overwhelmed for now. I've always treated chainsaws with respect but this one is going to get a LOT more! I do have faith that with the 25" bar there won't be much that I won't be able to handle a bit easier.

At least I'll have plenty of firewood for this fall and winter.

Regards,

Doug

Yes, I remember when I got my Stihl MS460 Magnum some years back.
    I quickly got used to the extra power and weight.
    I'm sure you will too.

But at my age, I find that the MS 460 Magnum "beats me up" if I use it for very long, and I have to take more breaks than when using a a smaller saw.
    It's sure worth it's weight in gold when i need a powerful saw for a job that my little saw (a Stihl MS 201 T C-M ) can't handle.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's sweet. I love Stihl stuff, especially chainsaws.

Congratulations, just be careful. Sounds like a beast.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the input. I will have to invest in some chaps. The idea of this thing getting away from me is not a good one.

I found a nice helmet with hearing protection and face protection on Amazon. It will be purchased soon.

I think the idea before with the smaller chainsaws was that if they kicked back, yes, it was dangerous but controllable. With this thing if it truly kicks back it may well be controllable but it will be much, much harder to control. And it may(?) not be controllable.

Still, the idea of having an larger tree trunk to just cut through with ease will be comforting. The power and bar length on this thing will easily save me time and effort for which I am thankful.

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Beware of generic helmets. Comfort is a huge factor with these, as is actual protection ratings. Buy once cry once, and dont buy one you cant try first. (or return free via prime)

Top Bottom