Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

I just bought a new chainsaw - and it's a bit intimidating

I finally broke down for my country property and bought a new chainsaw, a Stihl MS 391 (Link: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...ch-saws/ms391/)

Mine has a 25" bar, with 4.4Hp. It was the best/biggest I could do at this time.

I take care of some property out in the country, a bit over 10 acres, and while I don't do much there every day, when I need something done I need it done in a big way. I just mowed today for the first time this year. I tried mowing about a month ago and got stuck in the mud. I had to have the Amish neighbor bring the draft horse and pull me out. Thanks to the ongoing rain this year today was my first real mowing. A few years ago I bought a Bad Boy Outlaw commercial grade mower, which is what I needed today. So this is always my issue with country property, I might not need it a lot but when I need it, I need it.

Thus the drive for a bigger chainsaw. My dad has a nice Stihl with a 16" or 18" bar, but when I have three (3) trees come down in a bad windstorm I can get the job done with is but golly gee whiz it takes a lot of work.

So I finally decide to take the plunge and buy it today, take it out, and try it for the first time on a hardwood tree that fell last year. While it went through it OK I hit the log my cutting limb was leaning on and had a bit of a kickback. It wasn't horrible but I could tell that when that bad boy wants to move - it moves! I have been chainsawing since I was 16 cutting firewood with my dad and have felled over a dozen trees in my life so I'm not unfamiliar with the use of chainsaws.

But this one has opened my eyes to a whole different world! It is heavy, it is powerful, and it is honestly a bit intimidating. I am certain I will get used to it and master it as I have the others I've used but I must admit to being a little overwhelmed for now. I've always treated chainsaws with respect but this one is going to get a LOT more! I do have faith that with the 25" bar there won't be much that I won't be able to handle a bit easier.

At least I'll have plenty of firewood for this fall and winter.

Regards,

Doug
    Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late.
    And how can a man die better, Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?" - T.B. Macaulay

"Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was prophecy." - CathyInBlue

"Agent Mulder, every life, every day, is in danger. That's just life." - W. Skinner, X-Files S2E8

Expert

User Info Menu

Doug, make sure you hold it like a sword, not like a scalpel. Surest thing that will getcha killt is running a big saw like a pu@^y. They demand respect, but won't tolerate a wimp either.

2 hands on the saw, left arm straight, chaps on, eyes down, attention singular.

Oh. And don't ever get the idea that you can stop that 13,000 rpm 4+ hp machine before it splits you open. You can't.

Chaps.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Going for an M134 next, or straight to a GAU-8?
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Doug, make sure you hold it like a sword, not like a scalpel. Surest thing that will getcha killt is running a big saw like a pu@^y. They demand respect, but won't tolerate a wimp either.

Oh. And don't ever get the idea that you can stop that 13,000 rpm 4+ hp machine before it splits you open. You can't.

Chaps.
    Good words. I have smaller saws but have learned to pay full attention at all times. Iíd like a bigger saw and hadnít even really thought yet about what that means from a safety standpoint. Good comments.

User Info Menu

Get a smaller 20 inch bar for when you don't need all 25" . You'll be shocked at the weight difference and how much better it balances.

A 391 with a 25 is very nose heavy.

And yes....chaps are a must. Menards sells a less expensive variety than the stihl dealer.

User Info Menu

I have a 391 and a smaller saw. Really like my Man Saw when you have work to do.

Good advice, gear up and pay attention. Stop when you start to get tired.

Don

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have a really cool scar on my left thigh caused by a momentary lapse in attention.
    What they said about chaps. Much less expensive than the E.R.
    Also, gloves, earpro, and eyes. Most places sell a helmet with muffs and a screen attached.
    Once you get used to wearing it, you'll love the screen.
    2706-FND_1_36.jpg
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadeyeChrista'sdad View Post
    I have a really cool scar on my left thigh caused by a momentary lapse in attention.
    What they said about chaps. Much less expensive than the E.R.
    Also, gloves, earpro, and eyes. Most places sell a helmet with muffs and a screen attached.
    Once you get used to wearing it, you'll love the screen.
    2706-FND_1_36.jpg
    Yup. Stihl sells two models. Buy the good one. All the parts are replaceable and the good o e is more comfortable.

And definitely watch out for trees under tension. Local logger about lost his head when one that was bent over by one he felled split and hit him in the face when he touched the saw to it. Talkin' skull fractures and reconstructive surgery.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post

Assless Chaps.
    Fixed.

Welcome to the club, my friend. I'm the proud owner of an old school O28V. And by old school I mean the bar says "Made in West Germany".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Yup. Stihl sells two models. Buy the good one. All the parts are replaceable and the good o e is more comfortable.

And definitely watch out for trees under tension. Local logger about lost his head when one that was bent over by one he felled split and hit him in the face when he touched the saw to it. Talkin' skull fractures and reconstructive surgery.
    Definitely, trees under tension are very dangerous. I had about 15 large trees and countless smaller ones and limbs downed after hurricane Florence. Ten of the large ones were completely uprooted with root balls over 20' high.

The danger of the root ball and stump flipping back was always possible. Fortunately all the root balls stayed upright. After cutting up the trees I was able to push the root balls and stumps upright with my tractor.

I just used a 16" Stihl 170 for all of the cutting. Smaller saws take longer but their light weight is less tiring if you're having to use one all day and are cutting limbs and trunks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast