where to find WWII submarine personnel information?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    My wife found out recently that her grandfather was a submariner in WWII. He passed away about 20 years ago and didn't talk much about the war. She new he was Navy but no idea he was a submariner, especially at 6ft tall. Unfortunately his sub sank and lost all on board except for him, he was on land getting his appendix removed. I never met him but by all accounts he seemed like a great man, not sure how someone over comes loosing their whole crew but it spared. Lately my wife has been reading a lot about the war especially anything she can find about submarines during the war.

I'm not sure if it is possible but I'd like to find out what sub he was a signed to. Anyone know where to start searching?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Since it's a granddaughter, she may be able to request records.
    https://www.archives.gov/
    Click on "Veteran's Service Records".

Different records are available, I can't remember what's available to granddaughter.
    If you can get a copy of his "service jacket", that will list shore duty and sea duty stations.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you know any info, this may help..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lost_United_States_submarines

There were 52 subs (US) lost in WWII.
    This lists estimated time of loss, and estimated positions.
    Estimated, well because when subs are lost, they generally just disappear, to be later listed as "Missing. Presumed Lost.", or "On Eternal Patrol".
    Only a few subs had any survivors, and then only a few.
    Of those few, many were in prison camps, only found when the war was over.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My wife found out recently that her grandfather was a submariner in WWII. He passed away about 20 years ago and didn't talk much about the war. She new he was Navy but no idea he was a submariner, especially at 6ft tall. Unfortunately his sub sank and lost all on board except for him, he was on land getting his appendix removed. I never met him but by all accounts he seemed like a great man, not sure how someone over comes loosing their whole crew but it spared. Lately my wife has been reading a lot about the war especially anything she can find about submarines during the war.

I'm not sure if it is possible but I'd like to find out what sub he was a signed to. Anyone know where to start searching?

Any updates?
    Were you successful?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Unfortunately we didn't get very far, wife being a granddaughter didn't get us access to his records. We enlisted the help of my wife's mother but she hasn't looked anything up yet. I'm sure she will because she enjoys family history stuff but she'll take her sweet time doing it.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Unfortunately we didn't get very far, wife being a granddaughter didn't get us access to his records. We enlisted the help of my wife's mother but she hasn't looked anything up yet. I'm sure she will because she enjoys family history stuff but she'll take her sweet time doing it.

Grandchildren can't access records? What happens in a few years when Boomers exceed life expectancy?

Top Bottom