• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The a/c on my 1996 Chevy Z71, with a 350 engine, works only intermittently. It has 96,000 miles on it. The a/c will come on and blast cold air for awhile and then suddenly quit. I took it to a local shop today and they said it needed refrigerant, added some, and charged me $60. I drove it for about 1/2 an hour this evening and once again, started out nice and cold, and then suddenly quit working.

Obviously it’s not a refrigerant issue since the shop just added some. I’m not sure the condenser clutch is functioning properly. Since YouTube is everyone’s friend I did a quick search. One video identified a low side pressure switch as a possible problem. I can’t rule out an electrical problem, but since it works great for awhile I’m thinking that’s far down the list of potential problems. I don’t know what makes the clutch work for certain, but it doesn’t seem to be turning when the system should be calling for a/c.

Hoping for some some suggestions about where to start or what to consider. I do plan on going back to the repair shop but based on their initial failures to repair the problem I’m not confident they can diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A cycling switch or pressure switch could be the culprit. Based on it functions for a while a couple things I would look for are ..is the relay working properly and there could be a restriction in the system. A few things can cause it but it's possible the evaporator is icing over as well.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    In my limited experience, but knowing GM had real issues with pressure cycling switches throughout the 90s, I believe I would go that direction also.
    There is a Schrader valve under the switches, so you can change them without loosing all your coolant.

The late 80s and all through the 90s GM had a problem with low pressure cycling switches in particular.
    If the compressor cycles on and off quickly when at idle, it's almost always a low pressure switch fail.
    GM makes a real snapping sound when the compressor cycles, and it's a fast snapping when the low pressure switch fails in those particular vehicle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with the Pressure switch being the culprit here. There is nothing else in the system on your truck (to my knowledge) that would make this happen unless the A/C dash controller is the culprit. These were also known to have issues.

Due to its age I can see it being a bit low on refrigerant. To a tech hanging a gauge on it that would be the starting point.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Does it go out while driving, or while stopped? My 02 Dodge has had a leak for a while, but this year I couldn't get it to work at all. I took it to a shop and I had some blockage in my line. I forgot what he replaced, but got it to work. He then realized my fan wasn't working so my A/C works as long as I am moving. Stop and go in town, it doesn't.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Does it go out while driving, or while stopped? My 02 Dodge has had a leak for a while, but this year I couldn't get it to work at all. I took it to a shop and I had some blockage in my line. I forgot what he replaced, but got it to work. He then realized my fan wasn't working so my A/C works as long as I am moving. Stop and go in town, it doesn't.

Does the fan blow on high or not at all?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree with the Pressure switch being the culprit here. There is nothing else in the system on your truck (to my knowledge) that would make this happen unless the A/C dash controller is the culprit. These were also known to have issues.

Due to its age I can see it being a bit low on refrigerant. To a tech hanging a gauge on it that would be the starting point.

this would be my first check. If the system was low/empty the factory Freon had to go somewhere. If it’s a true leak, your new Freon could have taken the same path.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Drove the truck again today. Started off as before with the a/c blowing cold. After about half an hour of stop and go driving the blower was working but no cold air. I raised the hood and noticed the compressor clutch wasn’t turning. I felt the low side side pressure switch (valve) was very hot to the touch. NAPA said a replacement is $75. It looks like a pretty simple swap from the You Tube video I watched. I may give that a try since the wizard at the shop I had gone to said they couldn’t look at it until next Monday.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Drove the truck again today. Started off as before with the a/c blowing cold. After about half an hour of stop and go driving the blower was working but no cold air. I raised the hood and noticed the compressor clutch wasn’t turning. I felt the low side side pressure switch (valve) was very hot to the touch. NAPA said a replacement is $75. It looks like a pretty simple swap from the You Tube video I watched. I may give that a try since the wizard at the shop I had gone to said they couldn’t look at it until next Monday.

With that condition present did you attempt to jumper the low side switch terminals?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My Dad has had 4 of those relays go out on his '95 since new so I'm inclined to agree with the others about that being your problem. About 50% of the time you can just smack it with a screw driver handle and it will take off again.

If it IS actually losing refrigerant (which sounds unlikely, but possible), I suggest replacing the charging ports. I actually just made a quick video on this topic and my Blazer is exactly the same configuration as your truck. I had to do exactly that repair on my Dad's truck last year... It was about $15, plus refrigerant charge.

https://youtu.be/3whKGegFkPI

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it's cold one day, then blows warm, and the next time you drive it, it blows cold again- it's not the refrigerant.

If it starts cold, goes warm and stays war, never get's cold again, it could​ be the refrigerant.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Drove the truck again today. Started off as before with the a/c blowing cold. After about half an hour of stop and go driving the blower was working but no cold air. I raised the hood and noticed the compressor clutch wasn’t turning. I felt the low side side pressure switch (valve) was very hot to the touch. NAPA said a replacement is $75. It looks like a pretty simple swap from the You Tube video I watched. I may give that a try since the wizard at the shop I had gone to said they couldn’t look at it until next Monday.

I believe Napa is pumping you alittle hard, That switch normally is about 20 to 33 bucks.
    Stop in at OReilly's, Advance or the Zone and price it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My Dad's '94 K1500 has that problem. Changed the switch a couple times. Even made me a handy little jumper for it.

Top Bottom