• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Just a heads up that starting July 1st, eBay now charges sales tax on all purchases from people living in 27 states, INCLUDING INDIANA. Keep this in mind when you calculate what you are willing to spend.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sales tax = cost of doing business. It's never really been a deal breaker for me. Of course I have not bought anything off of e-bay for more than a decade.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They have been for a while now. I buy on Ebay regularly and noticed this a while ago if I was buying from someone in Indiana. I believe all internet sales are to be doing this now.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd be sufficiently happy not throwing their tea in the water if they would just properly fix all these dang potholes!
    Ha. I have zero sympathy for them and their taxes. They steal over 1/3 of peoples wages and then tax them still on goods and owned property too. The govt now is stealing waaaaay more than the British ever did. But weve done it to ourselves. We've givin Congress basically unlimited authority to dip into our wallets

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    They have been for a while now. I buy on Ebay regularly and noticed this a while ago if I was buying from someone in Indiana. I believe all internet sales are to be doing this now.

SELLERS in Indiana have charged sales tax to RESIDENTS who purchased from them for quite a while. However, starting July 1st ALL purchasers in Indiana will be required to pay sales tax TO EBAY for ALL purchases

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I never buy anything on eBay anymore. The potential for counterfeit goods on Amazon is bad enough, but on eBay . . . no worth the risk to me.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    SELLERS in Indiana have charged sales tax to RESIDENTS who purchased from them for quite a while. However, starting July 1st ALL purchasers in Indiana will be required to pay sales tax TO EBAY for ALL purchases

Hmmmm....I'm pretty sure I have been buying things this past week that were not taxed. I'll have to watch that. Thanks

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    It also bills separate from the purchase. It shows up as ebay on my PayPal account. I thought initially it was a fraudulent charge.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    When making purchases it is part of the self imposed price limit. If the seller doesn't want to deal then OK fine, someone else will. My self imposed price limits include the taxes imposed upon us.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I am confused.

If I sell you a used widget via Ebay, how is that different than if I sell you the same widget at a garage sale?

Is the implication that I need to be collecting sales tax there?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am confused.

If I sell you a used widget via Ebay, how is that different than if I sell you the same widget at a garage sale?

I believe Ebay is collecting and reporting the tax. It is charged separately to your paypal account or charge card or whatever payment you are using. It is not paid to the seller from what I have seen on my receipts.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am confused.

This is an interesting proposition. Is there a difference in taxing a new item versus a used one. Are we supposed to report all our garage sale purchases to the Indiana IRS?

And I don't believe you as the seller are obligated to collect tax unless you do sell more that a set dollar amount in a year.

eBay is an interesting case. Some of the sellers are indeed those of us getting rid of garage sale type things. Plenty of others are a store front though. I believe eBay has chosen to collect the tax on behalf of everyone.

Top Bottom