• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm facing carpal tunnel surgery in the near future. It would be on my right (dominant) hand. Anyone on here had it done? How does it affect your shooting? Any positive comments or negatives?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm really surprised I haven't had any carpal tunnel issues (knock wood!), given that I've made my living on a keyboard since 1995.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ive had it done on both hands. Had Carpal Tunnel for about 8 years, and had to sleep with wrist braces every night. The surgery was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I got instant relief. Just take your time and ice it like the doctor says.

As far as lasting effects go... for a couple months after the surgery, I would get shooting pain up my arm if i twisted it right. Felt just like I was wiring a 110 outlet and hit a live wire. Also, for a couple weeks after surgery, my wrists were pretty sore due to the bones moving now that they werent held together by the "band". Best thing you can do for that is to have someone massage your wrists. Massaging the wrists also helps to reduce the scar tissue and prevent big knots/scars on your wrist.

Those side effects all went away after a while. Although even 8 years later, I still have my wife sit and rub my wrists.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have fought the carpel tunnel issue for 30 years. I'm sure mine is not near as bad as some. Often I find myself close to seeking medical attention and somehow I've inadvertently changed ergonomics that let me "get over" the immediate problem.

I'm very hesitant to be cut on. My mother had numerous carpel tunnel treatments and surgeries on both hands that left her worse. That was a long time ago though, I'm sure modern procedures are better.

IMHO, there are a LOT of medical sites and YouTube channels that give very good self-therapy and stretching/nerve flossing, gliding information.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I tried numerous therapies to no avail. Even had Hydrocortizone shots twice. (they make you bend your wrist backwards and stick a 6" needle in your palm all the way into your wrist) My hands would fall asleep from just holding the steering wheel in my car. I couldnt use a pen/pencil for longer than 30 seconds. Shooting was no fun since my hands went to sleep by the time I finished my first mag.

As soon as I got the surgery, I had INSTANT relief. It took a few hours for the numbness to wear off from the surgery, but even then, I could tell a difference. I kept my wrist wrapped up with an ice pack, and took it easy for a day or two. Carpal Tunnel surgery improved my quality of life 100x.

Get it done. You will be angry at yourself that you didnt do it sooner. I know I was.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Dominant hand, you say? Two words, I say Toto Washlet. About $430 on Amazon. Your wife will be glad you got one. Warning: You may have a hard time keeping the wife off it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dominant hand, you say? Two words, I say Toto Washlet. About $430 on Amazon. Your wife will be glad you got one. Warning: You may have a hard time keeping the wife off it.

NO. Just no. That's what the shower is for. I don't want water spraying up my ass from the toilet. That's just nasty. And then what do you wipe with? Have you seen what toilet paper does when it comes into contact with a wet surface? Yeah, it falls apart. So you're gonna wipe your ass with what, your bath towel? No, I'd just as soon not have to do a load of laundry every time I gotta take a dump.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    NO. Just no. That's what the shower is for. I don't want water spraying up my ass from the toilet. That's just nasty. And then what do you wipe with? Have you seen what toilet paper does when it comes into contact with a wet surface? Yeah, it falls apart. So you're gonna wipe your ass with what, your bath towel? No, I'd just as soon not have to do a load of laundry every time I gotta take a dump.

Seat has a remote control. Pressure and direction controls. You can make adjustments based on feel. It helps to wink at the water stream. Heated water. Deodorizing fan comes on when patron has a seat. Girl and boy settings. No paper required. It has a built-in, heated drying fan. I have had 3 major abdominal surgeries in the past 18 months and had my plumber buddy install it before the first. The surgeries might as well have left me with crocodile arms. Money well spent!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Seat has a remote control. Pressure and direction controls. You can make adjustments based on feel. It helps to wink at the water stream. Heated water. Deodorizing fan comes on when patron has a seat. Girl and boy settings. No paper required. It has a built-in, heated drying fan. I have had 3 major abdominal surgeries in the past 18 months and had my plumber buddy install it before the first. The surgeries might as well have left me with crocodile arms. Money well spent!

Okay, you get a pass. :): No, seriously, sorry you've had to go through what you have! I'm going to stay traditional as long as I'm able.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    My best friend had both sides done, wrist & elbow on one side, shoulder, elbow & wrist on the other.
    He had to search out a doctor that would take it on it was so bad several wouldn't attempt it.

He came back to about 100%, he's doing about everything he could before the issues started.
    Not that he's a great shot to start with, but he's shooting as well as he did in his mid 20s, and I think his golf game actually improved.

DO take the time off, and DO the therapy, every bit of it.
    The therapy is a HUGE deal on how much use you recover.

Top Bottom