• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looked at a house today in Fairland. Gorgeous house on paper, but dayum! No wonder it was on the market so long. Entire house smelled of pet urine, and there were questionable issues throughout. ( I noticed an ozone generator in the garage, so they are trying to get rid of it. (and failing) )

I knew from the listing the house was on well and septic. In the back yard I saw a peculiar sight; a cover marked "Water meter". WTF? There isnt city water here. And DEFINITELY not in the back yard, a foot from the back porch.

Curiosity got the better of me and I opened it. Instead of a meter pit I discovered the septic tank. It appears they decided that a water meter cover was cheaper than a septic cover and used it instead.

So generally speaking, is there a standard for septic lids, or is it pretty much "as long as its covered, its cool"?

(purely academic. ruled the house out due to too many issues for the price)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Purely a guess, but it probably have to be secured very well to stop accidental falls. The fact you’re able to open it makes me think that is not OK.

but I have zero actual knowledge on this subject

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    We sold a house and one of the stipulations after the inspection was that the septic lid be locked down. It was plastic and had six square head screws holding it on the opening, and I thought you’re not just going to accidentally fall into the thing? What the.......

There was a handle on the cover so I found some long stakes with rings and ran a chain and a padlock through the whole thing, but thought it’s kind of stupid to lock up your septic tank. If you could have gotten the cover off you probably could have figured out that if you pulled one stake out of the ground you could get in, but why?

We’ve sold quite a few houses, I think that was a VA loan and they always have an extra few crazy hoops to jump thru. If you don’t do it they refuse the loan. Sold a 100 year old farmhouse with an upstairs and only ONE handrail down the stairs. VA wanted two, one on each side. Been fine for 100 years but now it’s not safe. Buyer told me they had to take one off to get furniture up stairs and never put it back on. Go figure.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    When I was a teenager my parents added on to out house and it required a new septic system, the lid to the tank read "Water Meter." I always thought that was kinda funny.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Speaking of cat pee....I've been told some meth labs have similar odor.

While shopping for homes some years ago, toured a nicer home that had rust bout a third of the way up on metal posts in unfinished basement. Ask agent about that and she did a very hands on examination of the posts' surfaces. Said she'd have to get back to us on that, when she did it was found the current owner's dogs liked to urinate on the posts......

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mine is simply a round concrete stone over the hole. No idea what "code" is.

Totally "unsafe", but we have never had an issue. Just told my kid to leave it alone, and she did.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Our tank was installed a few years ago according to code. There is a concrete conical plug in the top of the tank approximately 15" below grade with a 12" diameter corrugated plastic riser pipe with 12" diameter plastic lid on the riser at ground level.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Speaking of cat pee....I've been told some meth labs have similar odor.

While shopping for homes some years ago, toured a nicer home that had rust bout a third of the way up on metal posts in unfinished basement. Ask agent about that and she did a very hands on examination of the posts' surfaces. Said she'd have to get back to us on that, when she did it was found the current owner's dogs liked to urinate on the posts......

That makes sense, since anhydrous ammonia is one of the ingredients.

Top Bottom