Starbucks shop boots police officers because customer ‘did not feel safe’...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is this where we are now? Please note "customer" (singular). Hope this (too many words that can't be used here) doesn't ever have to call 911, that makes the Police show up.

Some police officers in Tempe, Ariz., say they were asked to leave a Starbucks coffee shop on the Fourth of July because a customer complained they “did not feel safe” with the cops present, according to reports.

Five officers were drinking coffee at the Starbucks location prior to their shift beginning when a barista asked them to move out of the complaining customer’s line of sight or else leave, the Tempe Officers Association wrote in a series of Twitter messages.

Rob Ferraro, president of the police union, told FOX 10 of Phoenix that such treatment of police officers seems to be happening more often these days.

“It’s become accepted to not trust or to see police and think that we’re not here to serve you, and again, it goes back to -- we take great pride of the level of customer service we provide to citizens, and to be looked at as feeling unsafe when you have law enforcement around you is somewhat perplexing to me," Ferraro told the station in a phone interview.

The police union also posted a series of Twitter messages about the incident.

“This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening,” the union wrote. “While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019.”

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/...rs-because-customer-did-not-feel-safe-reports

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just another reason I do not like Starbucks.

Guess that the majority doesn't rule either. That was the safest coffee shop for a minute in the area.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know the commies have already taken New Mexico, looks like they just about have Arizona now too.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Asking 5 customers to leave verses one. Seems to me the complaining person should be the one to leave. Why would someone feel uncomfortable with the police at a coffee shop unless they were doing or planning to do something illegal.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm sure the officers were too professional to have considered refusing to leave, but it would have made for an interesting scenario had they told the barista to pound sand.

What recourse would the Starbucks employee have if they simply stayed put? Would the employee have called the police to have the officers trespassed?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm sure the officers were too professional to have considered refusing to leave, but it would have made for an interesting scenario had they told the barista to pound sand.

What recourse would the Starbucks employee have if they simply stayed put? Would the employee have called the police to have the officers trespassed?

...I'm going to go with law-abiding, and they probably wanted to not get suspended/fired.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    "Why yes, we'll be happy to leave after you've refunded our money for the product we purchased here with the explicit understanding that we would be allowed to sit here and enjoy", *******!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And this is why BBQ joints > Starbucks:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/07/05/dc-barbeque-maga-hat/

A Washington, D.C., barbecue joint allegedly kicked out a man who accused a tourist of racism for wearing a Make America Great Again hat Thursday.

TJ Helmstetter tweeted Thursday night that he was kicked out of his “favorite restaurant,” Hill Country Barbecue and Market, after accusing a tourist wearing a MAGA hat of racism. Helmstetter reportedly called the tourist a Nazi for sporting the MAGA hat, a hat bearing President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan.

Helmstetter identifies himself as a “progressive communicator” on Twitter and works as a communications strategist and entrepreneur according to his LinkedIn account.
    Helmstetter called the tourist a “Nazi” and said that Hill Country Barbecue and Market supports “Trump and Nazis.”

Helmstetter says that after finding out the man was not from D.C., he told the man, “We don’t tolerate racism in this city.”

Helmstetter said that the tourist’s girlfriend “assaulted” him by “jabbing her fingers into my chest repeatedly” and allegedly threatening him. Helmstetter then complained that though he was asked to leave, neither the tourist nor his girlfriend were.

Helmstetter claims to have called the manager at Hill Country Barbecue, saying that the manager told him the restaurant is “an equal opportunity restaurant who welcomes all political viewpoints.”

One establishment values its paying customers; the other values being "woke."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    ...I'm going to go with law-abiding, and they probably wanted to not get suspended/fired.

Out of curiosity: how would refusing to move/leave not have been law-abiding? (I'll concede the part about being suspended/fired, and weep for their working conditions if true.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "Why yes, we'll be happy to leave after you've refunded our money for the product we purchased here with the explicit understanding that we would be allowed to sit here and enjoy", *******!

Also a reasonable response.

Though I like the thought of them simply ignoring the barista, waiting for her to call the police to report "trespassers", and then being the ones to respond when dispatch requests officers to the location.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If you take time to develop relationships with your businesses this is less likely to happen. We got to know all the employees at our local Starbucks and would sit down and have conversations with them on our downtime in the mornings.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Out of curiosity: how would refusing to move/leave not have been law-abiding? (I'll concede the part about being suspended/fired, and weep for their working conditions if true.)

If a business owner or their proxy ask you to leave, and you refuse, you are breaking the law.... unless, under Indiana law, you have a "contractual interest." And buying a product at the place of business isn't a contractual interest.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If a business owner or their proxy ask you to leave, and you refuse, you are breaking the law.... unless, under Indiana law, you have a "contractual interest." And buying a product at the place of business isn't a contractual interest.

Out of curiousity, even if the product is meant to be consumed there?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Out of curiousity, even if the product is meant to be consumed there?

Yep, even if. They say leave, you leave. You can ask for your money back, but they don't have to pony it up then and there; you're probably going to have to complain to corporate, and if you're really feeling abused, sue.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Also a reasonable response.

Though I like the thought of them simply ignoring the barista, waiting for her to call the police to report "trespassers", and then being the ones to respond when dispatch requests officers to the location.

I don't like that idea at all. We can't condone officers being JBTs when we don't like the bad, legal, behavior of others. The officers conducted themselves exactly as professionals should.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Had I been there an observed this, I think I would have complained to the barista that the person who complained about the cops made me feel "uncomfortable" and "less safe."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

So, if you order dinner at a restaurant, you don't have a contractual interest in consuming that meal at the restaurant?

How is ordering a coffee drink at Starbucks and sitting down at a table materially any different?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yep, even if. They say leave, you leave. You can ask for your money back, but they don't have to pony it up then and there; you're probably going to have to complain to corporate, and if you're really feeling abused, sue.

Is there case law on this question? Again, I argue that providing tables and chairs intended to be used to consume products purchased on the premises constitutes the same contractual interest as eating at any other restaurant.

We are long-past the time when any proprietor could ask any patron to leave for any reason whatsoever. "Right of accommodation", and all.

Top Bottom