How do you get rid of tree & shrub trimmings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We tackled some of our overgrown shrubs, bushes and trees over the long weekend and are trying to dispose of the results. Being in the city some of the more fun methods of disposal are not available to us. Other than bundling and waiting for heavy trash pickup are there others that will pick up the clippings and shred the branches? The clippings are bagged but the branches are sizable and really just need a shredder.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our county has a 2 yard waste composting sites that accept branches and such, one accepts grass clippings.

....I burn the woody stuff, but that's an option for me.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Setting up a burn barrel is the best thing I've done for yard work. Are there an anti-burning ordnance in your area?

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Set it out at the curb the city picks it up on Thursdays. They have vacuum trucks for leaves chipper trucks for branches and the old garbage trucks are used for yard waste can pick up. Big branches get picked up with a truck that has a pickup arm on it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most of us here probably don't know what you are allowed to do to get rid of yard waste and different municipalities have differing policies.

I live in the city (Bloomington) and we have bi-weekly pick ups for yard waste. We can put the stuff in large bags or I use a 33 gallon trash can. They charge us $1 per bag/can.

Once per year, we can rake all our leaves to the edge of the road and the city comes by and vacuums them up at "no charge". (believe me, we do pay for it. :))

We can't have any open fires and I don't know of any sites that accept yard waste.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Set it out at the curb the city picks it up on Thursdays. They have vacuum trucks for leaves chipper trucks for branches and the old garbage trucks are used for yard waste can pick up. Big branches get picked up with a truck that has a pickup arm on it.

We don't have that in Indy. They used to pick up up to 10 items, (trash can counted as 1), so you could put up to 9 bundles and a trash can out and they would pick it up. Then they made us go to the giant trash bins and you can only put out one additional item per month (ie. one bundle of branches) for heavy trash pickup.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OP, there are a couple of options. There is Greencycle on Troy Ave. on the southside, but they charge 25 bucks a load. Or... If you can find a big dumpster nearby and get up before dawn, you can put them in said dumpster. I may or may not have done this... :whistle::shady:

Normally I can keep up with mine (at least the dead branches and sticks) just using the fire pit, but with the storms we had a few weeks ago, I had too many come down at once, and I'd have to let the green ones sit long enough to dry out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    'round here, it cost $1-3 for a whole pickup - no shrub roots allowed.

Now for that low a fee I wouldn't (theoretically of course) have to do pre-dawn dumpster missions.

We also have a city facility that charges $5 per pickup load. The trash must be burnable (mattresses are accepted for example) and it goes into the city incinerator and is used to supplement power generation (I think - not positive). Oddly enough, they won't accept branches and sticks or any kind of yard waste - you know, "natural" combustibles, but they gladly accept things which no doubt create toxic fumes (like mattresses). :nuts:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Now for that low a fee I wouldn't (theoretically of course) have to do pre-dawn dumpster missions.

We also have a city facility that charges $5 per pickup load. The trash must be burnable (mattresses are accepted for example) and it goes into the city incinerator and is used to supplement power generation (I think - not positive). Oddly enough, they won't accept branches and sticks or any kind of yard waste - you know, "natural" combustibles, but they gladly accept things which no doubt create toxic fumes (like mattresses). :nuts:
    Are they trying to push people to sending that to be composted?

In case I wasn't clear, the fee I listed was strictly for "biosolids". It ends up as mulch and compost.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are they trying to push people to sending that to be composted?

In case I wasn't clear, the fee I listed was strictly for "biosolids". It ends up as mulch and compost.

I imagine they are. But when they charge you 25 bucks for a pickup load, I'm sorry, but that's not going to "encourage" me to do anything. The city does offer free drop off points for Christmas trees at various city parks after Christmas each year, which do get chipped up and used for mulch. I don't know why they couldn't provide the same service (maybe not at the parks but at some local facility) for tree trimmings and such.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I imagine they are. But when they charge you 25 bucks for a pickup load, I'm sorry, but that's not going to "encourage" me to do anything. The city does offer free drop off points for Christmas trees at various city parks after Christmas each year, which do get chipped up and used for mulch. I don't know why they couldn't provide the same service (maybe not at the parks but at some local facility) for tree trimmings and such.

By April or May, I get fed up with my neighbor's Christmas tree and I haul it away for him.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere

Toxicity for fairly benign stuff isn't really an issue, I would imagine. Most major incinerators are going to need filters for the normal toxic stuff regardless. Water, however (which most people's grass, sticks, logs etc are loaded with) could seriously cut into whatever efficiency is required for their incinerator to function properly.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We tackled some of our overgrown shrubs, bushes and trees over the long weekend and are trying to dispose of the results. Being in the city some of the more fun methods of disposal are not available to us. Other than bundling and waiting for heavy trash pickup are there others that will pick up the clippings and shred the branches? The clippings are bagged but the branches are sizable and really just need a shredder.

Composting perhaps? We generate about 75 pounds of twigs and branches a week, I usually collect it all and compost it. It breaks down quickly. Of course the facts that the goats about shred it may expedite the composition process.

Top Bottom