• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A public security official in Puerto Rico told the Primera Hora newspaper that it happened when the child, 1 1/2 years old, was being held out a window by her grandfather on the 11th deck of the cruise ship docked Sunday in San Juan. According to preliminary information, the girl slipped from his hands, hit the boat and hit the pavement.

She and her family are from Indiana. Father is a cop in South Bend. SB Police chief issued a statement containing condolences and disputes PR police report that grandfather was holding the girl out a window (porthole for Acteaon).

Man, if I was gramps and this happened the way the PR police said it did, I don't think I could live with myself.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sounds like a Michael Jackson moment...I can't think of any (good) reason I would hold an infant out a window (or over a balcony). Yeah, he shouldn't be able to live with himself but he's still living.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There have been a lot of conflicting accounts of how this happened.

What we know for sure: there was a horrible accident that killed the child. Prayers for the family and the grandfather in particular. This has to be about the most difficult thing he has been through.

What we don't know: why was the child up at the window.

I have heard everything from "dangling the child out the window" to "grandpa was holding her near the window, lost his balance and she slipped out of his arms."

The "official" statement from a lawyer hired by the family is that the grandpa did not realize the window was open and was holding the child so she could bang her hands on the window like she did on the glass at her brother's hockey games. Unfortunately, when she went to bang her hands "on the glass", there was no glass because the window as open and the grandfather, who was going to let her lean on the glass...lost his grip.

Seems almost too incredible/boneheaded to be fake. In my mind it's a "it's so stupid it has to be true"/"if they were making it up, they would have come up with something better".

There is supposedly video. I doubt it will be publicly released...which is fine with me.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Man, I won't hold my phone out a window to take a pic, I can't imagine holding anything I really cared about out a window like that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Awful all around. I was carrying my son up a lighthouse once and then realized I was holding him in my outside arm higher than railing. It snuck up on me as stairs got narrower. Terrifying

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Saw the family's attorney make a statement saying the same about them not knowing the window was open. Apparently it was the only opening in an entire "wall of glass". They are suing the cruise line. Awful to hear about no matter how it happened.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That's horrible. Call your loved ones and say something kind, people.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    It’s so sad when small children die, I cannot imagine the painful grief of that grandfather. Tragic is an understatement. Rest In Peace little one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did I call it or what? I just saw the news, and The family is not taking responsibilty and are BLAMING THE CRUISE LINE! Nothing like a tragedy to try and get a pay day.

Well, honestly, it does seem odd that there was only the one window open, 11 stories up when all the other windows were closed (and possibly not able to be opened - like most high rise windows.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Didn't bother to read it but there was an article on Yahoo News saying that Gpaw may be charged with negligence or some such. Although I don't have grandkids I'm sure there is nothing anybody on this earth can do to him right now to make him feel any worse.

Suicide watch might not be a bad idea.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Didn't bother to read it but there was an article on Yahoo News saying that Gpaw may be charged with negligence or some such. Although I don't have grandkids I'm sure there is nothing anybody on this earth can do to him right now to make him feel any worse.

Suicide watch might not be a bad idea.
    This just seems like prosecutorial cruelty to me. I just dont see a reason to rub salt in the wound here

Top Bottom