• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Beware Atom processors. Great little procs, but VERY anemic. They shine as dumb terminals though. (running RDP to access a remote terminal server which does all the heavy lifting)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Been staring at this all day and finally concluded I'm going to let the mini market evolve yet another year.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-800-g2-intel-core-i5-mini-desktops?ref=w_cnt_cdet_pc_dly_tl

If its on woot, its already a little old. They do closeouts and the like, not brand new stuff. You can get decent mini PCs today. They have matured.

Still a solid looking little PC.

I have an i7 based mini PC that is now several years old and it does fine for the kids. (minecraft and various other non FPS 3D games)

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    You could also try a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4, running Windows 10 (or Linux) as a low powered Internet machine. It will run Chrome just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Haven stole my response.

The new 4gb raspberry pi would make a killer thin client for a terminal server set up. Or if you are looking for a small light weight secure internet browsing machine it should do just fine.

If that's a bit out of your wheel house and you can have it delivered to me and I'll get it set up for you.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Can you describe the intended use a bit more? Is this a machine for a receptionist, a digital sign board, record keeping, etc?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I had one like that. Had a specific job (run my training software and Firefox). At times it was anemic. To do updates I had to put an external drive on it.

Worked well for the money. NOT something I would risk business on.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Perhaps Linux wouldnt be the best then. But you can run win10 on a raspberry pi.

Which would save you/them some cash.

Or if you wanna go for over kill nuc's are super handy.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Shy away from the Atoms. We tried using some of the Atom based Intel Compute Sticks for some signage/kiosk software in our employee lunchrooms, they're bad.... really bad. Went with the i3 model sticks and they were 3-4x faster for not even $100 more.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Shy away from the Atoms. We tried using some of the Atom based Intel Compute Sticks for some signage/kiosk software in our employee lunchrooms, they're bad.... really bad. Went with the i3 model sticks and they were 3-4x faster for not even $100 more.

I did the same and had similar issues. But it had absolutely ZERO to do with the proc. It was all about the storage. Intel cheaped out and only put in JUST enough flash disk. 18 months later, after running the normal periodic updates, we were out of space and having to try removing unused modules to reclaim enough space for it to run. Ended up throwing it away and replacing it with a Pi. Running perfectly since.

And a quick google indicates that Win10 on a Pi is hit or miss... heavy on the miss. Not ready for prime time. If you've had good luck with it FMJ, buy a lottery ticket. You appear to be damned lucky.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    At a former workplace, we utilized the "micro" PC's which basically just connected to a remote server workhorse in the back of the building, they were VERY lacking at connecting to the server and also running eMAR software from the web.

Honestly though, if it's all to be documented on the web based eMAR type software, the interface shouldn't matter a TON, and even a chromebook would work. We currently use little chromebooks for our med carts and they work fantastically so long as the internet is up.

We've had HP chromebooks, and the charger port was straight in and not at a 90, and the interface broke after probably a month. Currently IT ordered us some ACER's and the one on my cart is going strong at about a year now.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=chromebook

Best bang for the buck IMO, and perhaps for xrays/consultations you could mirror images onto an HD TV or something of the like.

As an end user in a similar environment, I'd say a big 1+ for a dedicated chromebook.

Top Bottom