• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    A friend of mine is putting on a protest on Friday at the city building in Franklin. She is mad cause they want her to pay for insurance. She's saying it's unconstitutional and she refuses to pay. My concern is, if my wife goes, can she be charged with anything for being there?

Jason

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let me start by saying- sure, she could be arrested for something because just like the question "can I be sued for...", "can I be arrested" only has one answer: "yes". The question then becomes what is likely and what is legal. I imagine that if a permit is required for the gathering and there is not one, if there is any action taken the most likely scenario is that they will be told to leave and if they don't, they could be arrested. If the attendees know they cannot gather without a permit and they know there is no permit, I suppose that is leaning up against trespass, maybe a "disturbing the peace". This would not require a warning to leave before arrest.

...and yes, if the general public gathering policy/ordinance requires insurance from everyone, they can require insurance. As long as it is a reasonable time, place or manner regulation, and I believe non-viewpoint related insurance is, that requirement is legal.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If there is an incident / accident, then why should by taxes (which is theft) pay for mess from your protest?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would like to know how we ever arrived at a point where the government may, at its pleasure, grant or withhold permission, or attach extraconstititional requirements or restrictions to the exercise of a constitutional right. I can trace it back to flagrant violations of the 2A met with a public too damned stupid to realize that if one right could be abused so could the remainder, but still.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would like to know how we ever arrived at a point where the government may, at its pleasure, grant or withhold permission, or attach extraconstititional requirements or restrictions to the exercise of a constitutional right. I can trace it back to flagrant violations of the 2A met with a public too damned stupid to realize that if one right could be abused so could the remainder, but still.

Crazy things like non-viewpoint based time, place and manner regulation so that people who want no part of the protests can avoid it, among other legitimate concerns?

Tyranny!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Crazy things like non-viewpoint based time, place and manner regulation so that people who want no part of the protests can avoid it, among other legitimate concerns?

Tyranny!

Yup.

Next thing you know government tyrants will be telling us we cannot dress in black, wear mask & helmets, carry crowbars and blockade streets while we peacefully protest against fascism.

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. @HoughMade has it right - they have now already been informed, and if they disregard - could end up in hot water.

Better to not ask permission. Just show up, be asked to leave, (Get photos/videos of being asked to leave), and then continue protest peacefully in the sidewalk since they kicked you out.

Disregarding a formal request loses you the ability to claim ignorance unfortunately

Top Bottom