• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    ...probably not as much as the guy that pulled out in front of me.

Now comes the fun part of dealing with insurance.
    20 years with my truck and this is the first collision.

I wish people would pay more attention to what they are doing. How the hell do you not see a big-ass truck?!?
    As I learned when going through pilot training: Keep your head out of the cockpit! If more people would learn this, maybe driving wouldn't be so nerve-wracking.

At least tomorrow is Friday.

Oh, I'm definitely going to need a new front bumper...anyone have a good recommendation for a heavy duty steel bumper?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's one of the benefits of roundabouts, less serious accidents. Sorry about the damage, but glad it was your can and not you.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    That's one of the benefits of roundabouts, less serious accidents. Sorry about the damage, but glad it was your can and not you.
    Yup! Bent steel can be replaced. I too am glad it wasn't worse than what it was.

I grew up on U.S. 31, I've seen a lot of bad accidents.
    I am grateful that my only injury is a bruised thumb from banging on the steering wheel after it happened.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    It's settled down a lot since people have gotten more used to them, but I've seen some alarming things.

This one was near Grand Park(191st & 31). I try to avoid it, but had to go that route today.
    I am around Carmel a lot, mostly customer's homes, and I agree it has settled down a lot. I actually like roundabouts, except when I'm pulling my cargo trailer.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Not understanding the "yield" part goes both way. I see them pull out in front of people but even more is they come up to the roundabout and even though there isn't anyone in it they will come to a complete stop and sit there before they enter. That irritates me almost more because if I am behind them I usually am looking more at what is coming around the circle then have to stand on the peddle.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    On my usual routes there are several and it never fails that someone will not understand exactly what *Yield* means.

Roundabouts SUCK, and have no place in a civilized society!
    "But officer, I yield as loud as I could".

Seriously, we had a driver ROLLOVER a car on a roundabout just last week.
    How o God's green earth do you manage to roll a vehicle in a soft turn where the speed limit is 30mph?
    I have seen people turn left into a roundabout at least a half dozen times in Lafayette and they haven't yet been here for but a couple of years.
    We had one driver go over the hill in the middle of the roundabout, just straightened it out, like it wasn't there.

Lafayette has a huge number of transient residents and drivers.
    We have people from every corner of the globe trying to navigate our streets on any given day.
    Sometimes it seems like participating in a demolition derby just to go across town.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    ...probably not as much as the guy that pulled out in front of me.

Now comes the fun part of dealing with insurance.
    20 years with my truck and this is the first collision.

I wish people would pay more attention to what they are doing. How the hell do you not see a big-ass truck?!?
    As I learned when going through pilot training: Keep your head out of the cockpit! If more people would learn this, maybe driving wouldn't be so nerve-wracking.

At least tomorrow is Friday.

Oh, I'm definitely going to need a new front bumper...anyone have a good recommendation for a heavy duty steel bumper?

They are dangerous when riding a bike in them too, people just cut from the inner lane to the outer because they cannot pre-plan on the exit they need. People in general need to put the phones down. My wife and I were heading to Brownsburg on 267 from Lebanon and some lady crossed the median by a half car... on her phone..fortunately I was paying attention and hit the edge of the smooth pavement. It’s a scary place out there on two wheels.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't dislike them as much as I used to and have finally been convinced that they reduce my travel time compared to stop signs and lights. That said, Carmel has one with a stop light. That I'm still scratching my head about.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    If you really want some fun, enter one going left. That really confuses the other drivers!
    When they were first bringing these to my area, there were a lot of complaints. One that stood out was that it would cause damage to their vehicles steering system because they would be turning left a lot more then right and the system needed to be balanced out. Was tempting to tell them that they should go out late at night and drive backwards through them to 'balance' their cars steering components. But that would not be professional.

If you want to have fun with roundabouts, get enough people together where you can fill the roundabout with your vehicles and just keep driving in the circle, not letting anyone enter.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't dislike them as much as I used to and have finally been convinced that they reduce my travel time compared to stop signs and lights. That said, Carmel has one with a stop light. That I'm still scratching my head about.

136th and Keystone? If that's the one you're talking about it's close to the high school and used to control after school and game traffic.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well Carmel had second stop light in the world right? Gotta keep it fresh

I was behind a guy yesterday in a work van who blew through a 4-way stop doing 50mph. Saddle club and Smokey row in greenwood. Hard to see the cross street even when stopped. Glad no one died

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yield? Hah! The only practical rule of roundabouts is that the more aggressive driver takes the right of way.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    You should try a couple of the roundabouts in Fort Wayne. An active train track passes right thru the center of them. Guess who gets the right of way!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    There is five in Vigo county, three are on busier roads, one is on a non busy road with the last on a semi busy state road. I love them, just wished everyone knew how to use them. All but one are single lane ones. The one non single lane is on a non busy street with two of the streets that it exits off of going no where for now.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just about all of them should be the single lane type because the diameters are so small there is no time to make use of the inner lane

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We had an exurb with a significant cohort of the elderly. They had a couple with retention ponds in the middle but they became drowning machines for the befuddled

Top Bottom