Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by worddoer View Post
    I think this is a large part of it.

I also think that the problem is a lack of standardization and notification. Frequently the signs for how the roundabout works are JUST in front of the roundabout. If it turns out you are in the wrong lane, you are going who knows where as the locals just shove you along.

All in Indiana.....

I have seen single lane roundabouts, these are pretty easy to use and navigate IMHO.

I have seen double lane roundabouts. These are far more confusing to me in heavy traffic. Sometimes the inner lane continues around and the outer lane comes and goes for each road. Ultimately you have to swerve in and out of lanes as you go around trying to get to your chosen road. I think these are the easier of the 2 lane roundabouts. Sometimes both lanes go all the way around. Which makes even less sense to me. If both lanes wrap around continuously, once you are in the inner lane you would never be able to get out without swerving in front of someone to get to the outer lane. If you are only supposed to be in the outer lane JUST before you pull onto the next road, then most people use the double lane roundabout incorrectly. Usually you have 2 bumper to bumper lanes of traffic getting crammed into the roundabout and with a lot of swerving, honking and jockeying as people try to figure things out.

I see this is how roundabouts are supposed to work, but the "wrong" ways mentioned in this video is how I have seen most people try to use a roundabout in Indiana.

https://www.nhpr.org/post/nh-dot-pro...bouts#stream/0

I have seen a multi lane roundabout (somewhere north of Indy) that was a frigging nightmare. More or less, same problems as above, but with even more lanes it was just that much more chaotic.

The one thing I have learned is USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS AND SLOW DOWN!!!! It helps everyone know where you intend to go even though you may not know how to get there. AND...watch everyone like a hawk. Just assume that the people around you are just as clueless as you possibly could be.

It will probably take several decades to education the masses of Indiana drivers, but we will eventually get there. Until then, be careful, slow down and use your turn signals.
    Roundabouts are awesome and very efficient.

They are not intended to be "standardized", but rather adaptable to the traffic needs of a particular location.

Successful navigation, even by those not familiar with a particular RAB can be had by putting the phone down, paying attention to signage and knowing where you are going before you get to the RAB...

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    You can drive with a foreign driver's licence without needing any additional training even if traffic laws are different from country to country.
    This is not entirely true.
    Many countries require an International Driving Permit (IDP).
    The US Government does not require this but many US states do along with other restrictions regarding age and how long they can drive.
    The IDP has to be obtained before coming to the US. We do not issue IDP's to foreign nationals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nonobaddog View Post
    This is not entirely true.
    Many countries require an International Driving Permit (IDP).
    The US Government does not require this but many US states do along with other restrictions regarding age and how long they can drive.
    The IDP has to be obtained before coming to the US. We do not issue IDP's to foreign nationals.
    The IDP is just to translate your foreign licence into English.
    I don't think you need one if your original licence is British for example, but will need one of it's all in Chinese.

User Info Menu

Please for the love of God. DO NOT STOP. The whole point is for it to be better than a 4 way. On top of that there should be no car blocking you from getting on (this is where they are not build 100% as they should) when you get on if you are passing any roads entrance you go to the inner loop, then go back out to catch your exit.
    http://s6.postimg.org/q3wk2jfe9/Sulu_Shields.jpg

01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01000110 01101001 01110010 01110011 01110100 00101100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100100 01100101 01101101 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100110 01101111 01110010 01101101 01101001 01110100 01111001

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    The IDP is just to translate your foreign licence into English.
    I don't think you need one if your original licence is British for example, but will need one of it's all in Chinese.
    China is one country that does not issue IDP's so chinese nationals in the US can not legally drive in many US States.

User Info Menu

The last two towns I have lived near both started installing roundabouts because town leadership said that you can't attract business without them. I've always seen that as a stretch and said so, but was ignored. What I did not consider was that it attracted road construction business, maybe that's what they meant.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Expert

User Info Menu

That just sounds like political BS.
    Around here we only have a couple that I use, one 1-lane and one 2-lane. At least they put them in out of the way places where there was no problem to solve in the first place and where there was room for them. I think it is more of a status symbol for the city planners that they can say they have roundabouts.

Marksman

User Info Menu

A few years ago a town close to me installed a single lane roundabout. Looked great except semis could not make it around. How to fix? Install a sidewalk on the inside circle for their tires to ride over. No other sidewalks for 1/2 mile.

Master

User Info Menu

A facebook friend posted a meme saying the devil created the roundabout. This is the conversation.

me:Donít know why people donít like these, they are more fuel efficient and fun.

friend:
    because most people don't know how to use them properly

me:
    people should learn then. Indy area is putting in more of them over stop lights.

Fact is the five in Vigo county are all single lane, which is the simplest to understand.

friend:
    well they should but they cause issues and accidents for those if us who know how to use them.

me:
    I wonder about the accident part, how many accidents actually happen? It seems that that part doesnít actually happen.

So their reason for not wanting them is not knowing how to properly use them. Sorry, not a valid reason. I love them when used properly. If I see no one else near one, I know my car can take them at 30-40pmh and I don't lose hardly any momentum. Of course that is when it is just me or just me and my wife in the car. When my kids are in the car, that changes.

Expert

User Info Menu

Both of the ones I run into frequently replaced an intersection where a less traveled roadway crossed a more traveled roadway. The more traveled roadway did not have stop signs before, only the less traveled roadway had stop signs.

As far as fuel efficiency now it is more fuel efficient for 10% of the traffic and less fuel efficient for 90% of the traffic. Everybody on the well traveled roadway has to brake for the roundabout and then accelerate again after it. They used to just cruise through there.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast