• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm starting the week with a colossal failure: I dropped a USB drive in the toilet.

The feeling I had when I stood there looking at it at the bottom of the bowl would easily equal the ABC Wide World of Sports agony of defeat image of the ski jumper. Well, minus the life-threatening injuries. But that dude didn't have to stick his hand in the commode to snatch a USB drive out of the water either.

At least it was "pre-elimination."

I washed my hands three times and rinsed the drive with water, then wiped it down twice with rubbing alcohol. Now I wait until I am sure that it's dry before I check to see if it's functional. If so, I'll transfer all the data to a new drive.

UGH.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    That’s crappy.

Hopefully it will work long enough to get the data off of the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I do have some privacy concerns with savings files to Google drive or other cloud storage option, but at least with Google drive, I'll never have to fish that important file out of the commode.

ETA: if you're dropping your USB into the toilet, you're probably taking the phrase "doing your business" in the bathroom a bit too literally.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    rhino, I am absolutely going to an start saying “I’ve got to drop a USB” every time I go to the restroom. And not just when I have to sit.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    For a bit of good news: I inadvertently ran a USB drive through the washer and dryer, and it worked find after its adventure. (By "inadvertently," I mean I was too dumb to check my pants pockets when I washed that load. :): )

But, but, but... I echo the question: WHAT were you doing in the WC with a USB in your hand? Inquiring minds want to know!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do have some privacy concerns with savings files to Google drive or other cloud storage option, but at least with Google drive, I'll never have to fish that important file out of the commode.

ETA: if you're dropping your USB into the toilet, you're probably taking the phrase "doing your business" in the bathroom a bit too literally.

[video=youtube;u97SG_yimAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u97SG_yimAE[/video]

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Was it YOUR toilet?

If it was a public restroom, and you jammed your mitt in the honey hole to grab some data....well, just feel free to ignore my question.

:laugh6::toilet2:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That’s crappy.

Hopefully it will work long enough to get the data off of the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too! If it does, it might just work indefinitely, but it's not worth taking the risk that it's on the edge of failure. If it's readable, it's going on the hard drive and back onto a fresh new USB drive ASAP.

Hah! I carry it clipped to a chain around my neck so that . . . I don't lose it. I must not have gotten it reattached properly (I use a tiny S-biner), but right when I lifted the lid and seat and started to stand upright, I heard "plop!" and then saw it in there. When I was younger and more squeamish, I would have taken the time and retrieved a plastic bag or glove to protect my delicate hand, but I'm old and tired and my first concern was recovering it as soon as possible to potentially save the data.

Worse? Bobbing for drives...

Not gonna do it!

Men have pockets for a reason, use them! :-)

I keep the back USB drive to the backup USB drive in my pocket! It is safe and dry!

rhino, I am absolutely going to an start saying “I’ve got to drop a USB” every time I go to the restroom. And not just when I have to sit.

:yesway:

For a bit of good news: I inadvertently ran a USB drive through the washer and dryer, and it worked find after its adventure. (By "inadvertently," I mean I was too dumb to check my pants pockets when I washed that load. :): )

But, but, but... I echo the question: WHAT were you doing in the WC with a USB in your hand? Inquiring minds want to know!

I've gotten them wet like that before too. As long as they are 100% dry when you plug them into a port, it's usually all good. So I am confident that the data is intact. but prepared for the worst.

It was not in my hand. It was supposed to be securely s-binered to a neck chain, but some big doofus clearly can't use an s-biner properly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Uncoiled white rice.

Unless brown is more appropriate.:laugh:

Well played, sir.

My son has put one thorough our washing machine in his pocket. My frustration faded when I put a mouse dongle through three days later

Were they still functional after going on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride through the laundry?

Was it YOUR toilet?

If it was a public restroom, and you jammed your mitt in the honey hole to grab some data....well, just feel free to ignore my question.

:laugh6::toilet2:

Yeah, it was at home. Had it been a public facility, I would have saluted and wished it bon voyage as it exited the drain with a mighty flush.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just noticed something. If you multi-quote the maximum number of messages, the check marks are cleared after you submit/save your message. If you only multi-quote a few, the check marks remain and have to be cleared manually.

Interesting . . .

Top Bottom