• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So the electrical wiring to and in my barn is garbage. I've disconnected the wires and shut off the breakers until the economy crashes and I can get an electrician out here. In the meantime I'd really like to be able to use my air compressor which has this plug on it:

TomgRhoh.jpg

I have a generator which has this panel:

f4WrHmth.jpg

I've searched online but haven't found an adapter that would work. Can I put a different plug on the compressor? If so, which one?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    On both generator plugs, the top holes are ground and the bottom holes are neutral. In a generator, ground and neutral are tied together.

Now on your compressor, the top prong is neutral, the other two are hot. If you change the plug, just don't wire the ground prong. Appliances used to ground through the neutral but newer codes have asked for a dedicated ground, hence the extra ground prong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I think a 50 amp range plug is what you need. Take the pic with you and you should be able to match it up.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    "If" the breaker that was being used is a 30 amp we must assume the wire is good for 30 amp. Long distance trouble -shooting is hit or miss. :ar15:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Damn those electricians and those codes and stuff. My uncles brothers cousins sisters college roommate knew somebody that was related to an electrician. And while I was not able to get a hold of them, the person that answered the phone said yes.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I don't recall anyone bashing electricians in this thread
    No bashing, and do not take this the wrong way; if you had to ask, you probably should not do. For me and a few others, the compressor would have been humming away before WE could have posted this thread. For others, have someone physically show you how to wire the 'proper' plug. It is not that difficult but there are a few things that are not 'common' sense. Just my .02

Top Bottom