Ancestry, Family reunions, Genealogy, and Roots..Let's share.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We had a family reunion this weekend down at Rough River State Park in Western Kentucky...It was a good time, learned a lot and thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we shared such things.....

I learned this weekend that my g g g uncle along with my g g grandfather served together in the Union Army, Kentucky 17th Volunteer Infantry...The G G G Uncle Caleb Hayes, was at Andersonville, made it home, had 10 kids with his first wife and then at age 81, after his first wife died remarried a 14 year old young lady and had two more children.....

I also had a cousin that died on D Day that was in Company A, 501st Parachute Division of the 101st Airborne....

Also a confusing a headstone...Live bluegrass music...

D_ZyBAkXoAAUsbE.jpg

D_Z9OlyW4AAVjxe.jpg
    D_Z9Ol-WwAALqVL.jpg
    D_aDMniWkAAy7-1.jpg

D_iGTEeXoAAE9gl.jpg
    D_iGTEeWwAEhHDA.jpg

D_Z7ZA9W4AEwUzU.jpg

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Our gang didn't make these shores until the late 1800's. Great Gpaw came over from the olde country and was promptly taken prisoner by a group of native Americans and was held by them for a year before he effected his escape. Gmaw took the secret with her to the great hereafter about whether or not there was any native American blood in the family, she'd be all :shady: any time the topic came up. One of these days I'll have one of those dna tests completed to see what the mix is.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Our gang didn't make these shores until the late 1800's. Great Gpaw came over from the olde country and was promptly taken prisoner by a group of native Americans and was held by them for a year before he effected his escape. Gmaw took the secret with her to the great hereafter about whether or not there was any native American blood in the family, she'd be all :shady: any time the topic came up. One of these days I'll have one of those dna tests completed to see what the mix is.

I did mine...Heard we had native in us my whole life...I did my DNA...100 percent British Isles...Not a bit of Native blood.......

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mom's side came over pre Rev War.
    Rough bunch around Tenn......yup, "those kind".
    Pretty much avoided.

Pop came over on a boat.
    My ol lady born overseas. Big fam of F ups.

So.............I'm pretty much over it.
    Am ready to be a hermit.

Get my kids college done, kick em out and move...........with no forwarding address.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    We have a minuscule bit of Cherokee from a full blood great grandmother. Eh, whatever the Cherokee are. Other bloods are Germanic Swiss and the thoroughly blended English. And perhaps the Isle of Skye from what was learned from a Canadian gentleman of the same name. In other words I'm a pretty typical American with at least some heritage adequate to offend most anyone.
    Our family reunions usually amounted to little old ladies gossiping while the kids found games to play. Usually pretty boring except for that time one of the cousins brought the batch of happy brownies.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When Grammy was alive and all the cousins were HS or younger, we had some big get togethers on 4th, Thansgiving, and race day.
    I'm talking classic Norman Rockwell kinda stuff on the farm.
    Different time.

Good times.

No drama. Ran like a Swiss watch. All republicans.

Ol ladys fam has some losers in it. I went a couple times. What a cluster fork.

Some folks think of blood as family, and wallow in the mess.
    I however pick who I call family and if one is a POS they are disowned.

Looking back I understand how good a group we had, how lucky we were to have had such get togethers.
    They really were a blessing.

Just sad how that time, those ways............are gone.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a family of early adopters. I'm not aware of any immigrants in my tree after the 1700s. I had one ancestor that married a native princess, but that was later in life for both, so no issue. There were rumors of some native blood in my paternal grandmother, but my DNA is white as new fallen snow. My dad's side has good English peasant names, House, Mason, etc. It's my mom's side that's all hoity toity. She is the confluence of two lines of coat-of-arms having people, but they didn't know it at the time, and she grew up on welfare during the depression. No castles or anything. On ancestry I've been able to trace back to Roman Patricians. I want to pick at that a little more, but I managed to get to a relative born in 1BC. My biggest family reunions were in WV, with the descendants of the people that settled there when it was still all Virginia. I don't know any of them, but my mom did, way back.

I've found Civil War and Revolutionary War soldiers, and my mom would qualify for DAR. I haven't nailed the connection because a lot of the records are closed, but I have a strong suspicion that I'm hooked up to the Mayflower via the Whites. I have ancestors that arrived not long after that, in any case, first half of the 17th century. I imagine a good few were royalists during the war :P I've traced the bloodline through Roman generals and senators, as well. I don't think there's an organization to commemorate that :) I have plenty of Crusaders as well, with place of death listed as Israel. Deus Vult, *************

Pioneer-wise, we got about as far as central IN. I have relatives that still live in CA for some reason, and my brother is in Portland, but there was none of that until the 1940s. Out there, my maternal grandfather lost his championship title to Gorgeous George, which was his first title. My mom went out there after high school for a few months and worked in her dad's restaurant, and got to meet a lot of the wrestlers that later got to be big names. They were all friends in real life; it was all a big show even back then.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My mom's a Truesdell and here is her first ancestor to America...I'm descended from his son Richard and my mother's name is Rebecca...They came down the Ohio river during the New England's "Year without a summer" (1810 or so) that was brought on by a volcano eruption in the Pacific....

[h=2]Samuel Truesdell, Sr.[/h]
    Also Known As:"Samuel Truesdale"
    Birthdate:1646
    Birthplace:Boston, Lincolnshire, England
    Death:March 02, 1694 (48)
    Newton, Middlesex County, Province of Massachusetts
    Place of Burial:Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States
    Immediate Family:Son of William Truesdell, Jr. and Rebecca Truesdell
    Husband of Mary Jackson
    Father of Richard Truesdell; Mary Foote; Samuel Truesdell, Jr.; Mindwell Truesdell; Rebecca Truesdell and 4 others
    Brother of Thomas Truesdell; Rebecca Truesdell; Alice (2) Truesdell; Matthew Truesdell; Mary Truesdell and 4 others

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're a KY Odle? I got a good friend who is KY Odle, wonder if there's a connection...

So this Nathaniel Odle fought for the North, no the South, he's still alive, no he's dead... confusing. Did someone want to change history?

After I finished my vault, I started moving in the loads of genealogy stuff and looking at it more and more, enough that I'm getting back to it after a decade. The nice thing is, the library here in Ft. Wayne is second only to Mormons' out in SLC for genealogy.

Paternally, I can claim to be a Rev. War descendant, and maternally a GAR descendant.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You're a KY Odle? I got a good friend who is KY Odle, wonder if there's a connection...

So this Nathaniel Odle fought for the North, no the South, he's still alive, no he's dead... confusing. Did someone want to change history?

Nathaniel Odle was from Sevier county Tennessee and then moved to Grayson County Kentucky...they knew he was in the Civil War and ASSUMED because he was from TN that he had been a Confederate....Once records became available they found out he had actually served with the 17th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry for the Union....

If your buddy's family is from Ohio, Grayson, Muhlenburg County's area then he is probaly kin...Sorry Jetta...Don'y hold it against him....:)

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My older brother has worked on our family tree for years. Moses was 19 years old in 1776, joined the 26th Continental Infantry, formerly Gerschwinn's Massachusetts Regiment. He served at Bunker Hill, Battle of NY, and his unit was at Cornwallis's surrender. We are planning a trip to Boston to verify some records of his service.

No one of real note in our past. My sister has a book of tin types that shows family members in the mid 1800's. They are all dressed up and very stiff looking, except one. The only one with our last name looks like a bum, half drunk, dirty clothes, half a chewed cigar in his mouth. No evidence of any service in the Civil War by anyone.

DNA testing was interesting. Our Paternal Grand Mother came from Sweden, Mom's side from Ireland much earlier. There is evidence that my ancestors traveled a lot. Little bits of DNA from along the trade/Viking routes in Russia all the way to the Middle East. No way to trace it for sure that far back.

My story is they were Vikings and I am sticking to it!!!

Don

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    On my father's side, German Baptist farmers by way of Darke county Ohio, Hagerstown and Maugansville MD, and Stuttgart. Before that, welshmen. Evidently the name dates back to about the time the Romans packed up and went home.

Top Bottom