• ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    First B-2 Flight was on 17 July 1989

My first assignment was as an analyst/programmer officer with the 552 Airborne Warning and Control Wing from 1982-1986. Some of the company grade officers that PCS'd while I was there went to Nellis AFB to an assignment that involved being flown to an undisclosed location for a week, then coming back home for the weekend. The only thing they knew about it was that it used computer equipment similar to what we were using in AWACS. Plus there were some other clues in our line of business that indicated something very interesting was going on out there. In 1989 the F-117 Nighthawk was revealed to the public, so we thought that was what those guys went to, but now I think it was more likely they were working the development of the B-2. Or maybe both airplanes.

Hard to believe it's been 30 years already. Yikes.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So true, hard to believe that our current Country Protection Device is 30 years old. And the B52 is pure ancient.

Granted the biggest problem to getting new aircraft into service is the crazy cost associated with them, but at what cost freedom?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Most of our iron is getting old; good thing we have the B-21 Raider in the pipeline. But you're right...hardly seems like it was three decades ago.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So true, hard to believe that our current Country Protection Device is 30 years old. And the B52 is pure ancient.

Granted the biggest problem to getting new aircraft into service is the crazy cost associated with them, but at what cost freedom?

At the beginning of the jet age it was hard to keep up with all the new aircraft. But now, the cold war has chilled out, and aircraft technology rate of change has slowed...

There's a huge cost for a new aircraft program, but the increase in utility over the existing model isn't as high as it once was.

Just think how old the A-10 is yet how fitting it is even today.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I remember those days, too - and some people who couldn't really talk about what they knew about the program even after it was made public.

Top Bottom