• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    :popcorn: My 16 yer old Grandson came to see me today. :yesway: While he is here I get a phone call with him crying :( :crying: that he is in jail in Columbus, Ohio". He has a 5 min call to raise bail. He doesn't want me to call mom and dad till he is out of jail so please don't call them. He would call them as soon as he was out. My grandson is setting there trying not to laugh to loud. The phone guy then said a public defender would call in 2 min to explain how I could pay from the phone. He hung up the phone then about 30 sec the phone rings and Will Tell is on the phone from the public defenders office asking me if I'm ready to pay for his bail. He needs my credit card, I tell him the head RN won't let me have it. How am I going to help my unknown grandson out of jail? It must be the 4 year old that had the car accident with the 16 year old setting there.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    This scam actually works sometimes with the elderly. An older women I know fell for it, and actually went to the Walgreens to get the money sent. The teller at Walgreens knew her, and called one of her kids to come sort it out, so the money was never sent. Very sad situation.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This scam actually works sometimes with the elderly. An older women I know fell for it, and actually went to the Walgreens to get the money sent. The teller at Walgreens knew her, and called one of her kids to come sort it out, so the money was never sent. Very sad situation.

Yep, the reason scammers do it is because they know the odds will eventually connect them to somebody that falls for it. I’ve always said when a scammer is caught, they should receive a fair trial, and if convicted, be sentenced to a PUBLIC execution.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My Mom got a call from someone claiming to be her grandson. Had the names right, was in jail in New York. After listening to the story, Mom said, "Well that's too bad."

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Not real funny to me.

Some A hole called an elderly uncle pretending I was in jail in Florida.

He gave them a LOT of money.

Worse, a couple of the details of the story lead me to believe the A hole had more intimate knowledge of my uncle than the average telephone con man could possibly have.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    :popcorn: My 16 yer old Grandson came to see me today. :yesway: While he is here I get a phone call with him crying :( :crying: that he is in jail in Columbus, Ohio". He has a 5 min call to raise bail. He doesn't want me to call mom and dad till he is out of jail so please don't call them. He would call them as soon as he was out. My grandson is setting there trying not to laugh to loud. The phone guy then said a public defender would call in 2 min to explain how I could pay from the phone. He hung up the phone then about 30 sec the phone rings and Will Tell is on the phone from the public defenders office asking me if I'm ready to pay for his bail. He needs my credit card, I tell him the head RN won't let me have it. How am I going to help my unknown grandson out of jail? It must be the 4 year old that had the car accident with the 16 year old setting there.

From my favorite line from "Accepted".... "You're young, your butt can take it"

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If I get that call again I will gladly pay his bail if he promises to track down and hurt "Nancy my healthcare advocate" that has called me at least 50 times- this week!

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    My 87yo dad got one of these calls a while back. He has a caption phone and couldn't keep up with the conversation so he had my mom talk to them. The guy was talking fast and she was trying to take notes when I walked in. She briefly summarized the call and handed me the phone, which I took and promptly hung up. I reminded her that her grandson was around 30 years old and could take care of his own problems. I also pointed out that the grandson and his father have a close relationship and that if he were, in fact, in trouble, that he would ask his mom or dad or more likely his sister for help. He would never ask his elderly grand parents for money.
    He came for a visit some months later and i apologized for not bailing him out of jail and he gave me a confused look. I told him about it and we got a laugh out of it. It's really not funny though as I believe my mom and dad would have given them credit card info. They are of the age where they seem to have a hard time cutting people off and hanging up the phone, but they are getting better at it the more bogus calls they get.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    these scams are getting crazier and crazier

Thats nothing. The totally crazy one is where they claim to have kidnapped the kid and say if you hang up they kill them. They make you stay on the line (so you cant call to confirm their actual whereabouts) and go drive to get the money in real time. (prepaid cards, etc)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We don't ever answer calls from unrecognized numbers. Generally the voicemail is a robocall. My son almost got sucked into the "if you don't pay us $400 now your computer will crash" scam when he was in college. He called me for advice and I told him to ask for a number to call them back at. They hung up and I told him to unplug is computer and don't be so gullible in the future. They can sound very convincing, but they are just the modern day con men selling you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If you have to answer a call from an unrecognized number, say "Hello" ONCE. Don't say it again. Both robocalls and real scammers are trained to not start their con until the 2nd greeting.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, if I answer, I just pause and don't say anything for a second or 2 and just listen. If it is a real person, there will be background noise or they'll say "Hello" first.

Top Bottom