• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'll try to keep it brief but my question is, do I replace the engine in this vehicle or not? If not, what do I do with it?

We had a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD 3.7 6 cylinder with about 138k miles on it. It has been wrecked once but properly fixed and seemed in great shape until it suddenly refused to go over 40 while my wife was driving it a couple hours from home. A costly tow bill later our mechanic tells me we have a blown head gasket and the engine is ruined after coolant and oil mixed. I don't recall any more particulars but I do trust the shop. They're the kind of business that does proper mechanical work rather than just cheap/temporary.

So ultimately I have a vehicle I bought about 6 months and maybe 5 thousand miles ago with about $3500 into it and am being presented these options:
    A) ~$3875 to get and install a used engine with about 60k miles on it. No guarantees or labor reimbursement
    B) ~$4800 to get and install a remanufactured engine with "0" miles on it and a 3 year warranty (both of these options are me purchasing the engine from an online vendor and the shop installing it)
    C) Buy a used vehicle with its inherent lack of certainty (Most likely looking at a Toyota SUV or some such)

If C, what do I do with the Jeep. Does a nearly rust free body with a wrecked engine hold any value, or is this a scrap type deal? I don't have the knowledge or patience to part it out myself.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you do any of your own work, and the ability to get by without it for a couple of days:

I've blown a head gasket a couple of times. It may depend on how long/hard it was driven while blown. A head gasket is cheap. I'm not going to say it's "easy" to replace, but it's pretty simple. Flush all the snot out and replace the fluids in their appropriate places. You may just have a good engine with a few bucks and a couple of days in it. You may still have a turd, but haven't lost much. Others may have more/better advice. A car that old, I would definitely not put more than the blue book value into it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My thoughts.
    Near 140K on the clock. That is the point were you start to see repairs to things like alternator/water pumps/AC systems.
    Then there is the transmission to consider. If it has not been serviced who knows how long the fuse is on it.
    A lot of this depends on you budget. Putting $4K to $5K in that truck is in itself a dice roll. Like I said there will be more repairs.
    Finding a clean used vehicle in that same price range is easily done with some patience and cash in hand but as you already stated,un-certainty
    I would not rebuild that engine if you are paying to have it done. There are some serious issues you will face if she drove it until it stopped. If it spun any bearings the parts and machine shop costs start to go up drastically. If it pitched a rod it is toast. Also the fact the head could be damaged from the failure.
    And yes someone might want the remains. There are people out there with skills and parts access who put vehicles back together for re-sale. But you will not get a lot for it. Finding those people without advertising and dealing with the idiots is a challenge.

Do you like the jeep. Is it in good enough condition to put that much money into it.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    My thoughts.
    Near 140K on the clock. That is the point were you start to see repairs to things like alternator/water pumps/AC systems.
    Then there is the transmission to consider. If it has not been serviced who knows how long the fuse is on it.
    A lot of this depends on you budget. Putting $4K to $5K in that truck is in itself a dice roll. Like I said there will be more repairs.
    Finding a clean used vehicle in that same price range is easily done with some patience and cash in hand but as you already stated,un-certainty
    I would not rebuild that engine if you are paying to have it done. There are some serious issues you will face if she drove it until it stopped. If it spun any bearings the parts and machine shop costs start to go up drastically. If it pitched a rod it is toast. Also the fact the head could be damaged from the failure.
    And yes someone might want the remains. There are people out there with skills and parts access who put vehicles back together for re-sale. But you will not get a lot for it. Finding those people without advertising and dealing with the idiots is a challenge.

Do you like the jeep. Is it in good enough condition to put that much money into it.

A rebuild is out of the question for me to do personally. I'd be willing to pay someone else to do it, I just assumed it wasn't an option based on the Shop not presenting it. That may just be a level beyond their normal operations.

I do not have any attachment to the jeep, and in fact I'm quite tired of the hassle. This is our second Grand Cherokee and compared to our VW or my family's Toyota/Honda SUV's they've been quite the headache, though admittedly some of that must be user error or buying cheap.
    My indecision basically comes from the fact that if I'm likely going to spend 4-5k on a car that's an unknown quantity would I be better off to put that money towards a remanufactured engine in the jeep.

Currently my first choices for a replacement if I don't fix it is a 2003-4 Toyota 4Runner or a Honda CRV. Both have around 140k miles on them as well but cost around 3,500

Regarding the Jeep's condition, minus the engine, I'd say its in very good condition. I have a lengthy list of service and new parts replaced in December of 2018. Timing chain, all belts, water pump I believe.

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    The Toyota or Honda are much more reliable vehicles, IMO, than the Jeep. I had a 1998 Jeep GC. When the transmission needed its third rebuild, I ditched it and bought a 2006 Jeep GC. At 229,000 miles, I moved on to a newer vehicle. But to get her to 229,000, the list of repairs was long. Rebuilt rear differential, replaced front drive shaft, 3 sets of front hubs, alternator, water pump, 2 timing belts, etc.....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Always a tough position without a real "win" no matter what you choose. The cheapest route is usually to fix what you have. But I agree with CM and others on here, it might be time to accept the losses and move on with this one.

We don't like taking hits financially but with automobiles it does happen. I lost the transmission on my wife's Accord one year. The car was 10 years old with 130,000 miles on it. I opened up a case with American Honda and they replaced the transmission with me paying $500 in labor only. Had they not done that, I would have been in the same place as you. A nice car with the exception of the trans, but probably not worth much at that point and a lack of desire to spend $4000 to replace the trans on my own if Honda hadn't stepped up.

I like Jeeps, but being that it is a Jeep, I would take the loss and buy something else. Try to sell it to a repair shop. Some of those guys will buy it as they have the tools, space and know how to fix it and flip it if they don't want it for themselves.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A rebuild is out of the question for me to do personally. I'd be willing to pay someone else to do it, I just assumed it wasn't an option based on the Shop not presenting it. That may just be a level beyond their normal operations.

I do not have any attachment to the jeep, and in fact I'm quite tired of the hassle. This is our second Grand Cherokee and compared to our VW or my family's Toyota/Honda SUV's they've been quite the headache, though admittedly some of that must be user error or buying cheap.
    My indecision basically comes from the fact that if I'm likely going to spend 4-5k on a car that's an unknown quantity would I be better off to put that money towards a remanufactured engine in the jeep.

Currently my first choices for a replacement if I don't fix it is a 2003-4 Toyota 4Runner or a Honda CRV. Both have around 140k miles on them as well but cost around 3,500

Regarding the Jeep's condition, minus the engine, I'd say its in very good condition. I have a lengthy list of service and new parts replaced in December of 2018. Timing chain, all belts, water pump I believe.

CM is correct, you haven't owned this since new so you can't have the confidence in the rest of the mechanicals. Putting a rebuit or reman engine in something like that just means the engine becomes the most reliable part, not that your troubles are over

There are many uncertainties over what's damaged and how to rebuild it which is likely why the shop isn't offering to rebuild the current engine, they likely would not wish to warranty the result. In the case of the used engine, no one has to warranty it. In the remanufactured case, the rebuilder is warrantying it and likely the shop would only guarantee the work necessary to install it. You're also pulling apart many things attached to the engine with old parts and seals being potentially fragile, and you have to pay up front for the engine and shop work whereas a new vehicle could be financed if you need to.

Do you have anything like Pic-n-Pull or perhaps a junkyard you can deal with. They won't give you much but it will get rid of the body. I'm with CM, time to move on

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm a "drive it into the ground" kind of guy.

...it's in the ground.

I have a 2007 Silverado with 175,000 on it. If it blew the engine or trans tomorrow, I would not hesitate to fix it and keep driving...

...but I have owned it since it had under 30k miles and still had warranty. I know this truck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd research that model and year extensively. Jeep, Chrysler, AWD, all things that could well prove problematic for that model and year?

What is the half life of most any AWD drive train, pushing 150k?

In the meantime, take some pics and throw up a WTS add in the INGO classifieds. Never know, you might catch the eye of another looking for a parts vehicle, a host for their wrecked vehicle engine or the like.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a "drive it into the ground" kind of guy.

...it's in the ground.

I have a 2007 Silverado with 175,000 on it. If it blew the engine or trans tomorrow, I would not hesitate to fix it and keep driving...

...but I have owned it since it had under 30k miles and still had warranty. I know this truck.

I have owned my 04 Sierra since low miles as well. I know every nuance of this truck. I work it very hard when we need it. I will keep it up and running into the 200's if possible.
    Knowing people at a salvage yard has its pluses. Yes I would swap out the engine or trans if needed but I would do the work myself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On top of that, the 3.7 Chrysler engine is one of the worst they’ve ever made.

I just got off the phone with my salvage yard connection and he agrees. If you find one it too will fail. He can not keep them. They are sought after for this very reason. Total crap.

Top Bottom