Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I still care....Really

User Info Menu

I would have to look it up but correct me if I am mistaken on this one. F-104 Star Fighter could go vertical.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I would have to look it up but correct me if I am mistaken on this one. F-104 Star Fighter could go vertical.
    Possible! If those F-15s you saw could do it when fully fueled, they were . . . strong. The F-18s the Blue Angels fly have to burn a little fuel before they can do it (or so I have read). I think F-16 can because it's so light, but I don't know if they can do when fully fueled.

Few things are cooler than a plane that can fly like a rocket!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Not a machine gun can but a larger bore single shot breach loading "CANNON". It was low in the nose. I saw a deal on the Military channel once about these ship hunters.
    I think that was a B-25 Mitchell medium bomber. Had a 75mm in the nose for anti-ship ops in the Pacific theater. No one would ever doubt the courage of those men.
    Last edited by KellyinAvon; 07-20-2019 at 17:37.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Well yeah, it was an engine with stubby little wings! The X-15 rocket plane was based on the F-104. Oh man, the F-104 was a Kelly Johnson design too. He was probably an alien.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Well yeah, it was an engine with stubby little wings! The X-15 rocket plane was based on the F-104. Oh man, the F-104 was a Kelly Johnson design too. He was probably an alien.
    Kelly Johnson is a hero of mine, alien or not. SR-71 is my personal favorite of his.
    2006 Mustang for Sale

Get outta my damn yard.......
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    The wind likes to blow my balls around.
    I will not give, not one more inch. No more compromise. From my cold dead hands.

GOA Member

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --Thomas Jefferson

A HAM with a radio, and nothing to say.

User Info Menu

I think that was a B-25 Mitchell medium bomber. Had a 75mm in the nose for anti-ship ops in the Pacific theater. No one would ever doubt the courage of those men.
    The sea plane in "the Expendables" has a breech-loading cannon in the front end!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

now that you say that you could be right.
    Last edited by churchmouse; 07-20-2019 at 20:03.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Possible! If those F-15s you saw could do it when fully fueled, they were . . . strong. The F-18s the Blue Angels fly have to burn a little fuel before they can do it (or so I have read). I think F-16 can because it's so light, but I don't know if they can do when fully fueled.

Few things are cooler than a plane that can fly like a rocket!
    I have no way of knowing what the fuel load was on board.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

ow that you say that you could be right.
    Can you imagine: you're in a plane that's pretty big and not very fast. You're rolling in like a fighter (even though the aircraft is a bomber, hence the "B") on a boat that's shooting at you. You open up with every forward-facing Ma Deuce you've got, when they hit home you fire the Sherman tank's main gun which is mounted in the nose which was designed for a bombardier not a cannon. Talk about balls of steel.
    INGOer #25,448

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Can you imagine: you're in a plane that's pretty big and not very fast. You're rolling in like a fighter (even though the aircraft is a bomber, hence the "B") on a boat that's shooting at you. You open up with every forward-facing Ma Deuce you've got, when they hit home you fire the Sherman tank's main gun which is mounted in the nose which was designed for a bombardier not a cannon. Talk about balls of steel.
    The pilots said it actually felt like the plane stopped when they touched it off.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast