Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

A Timeline Question

So I was thinking....

I remember older relatives (when they were alive) referring to stories from the 20s, the 30s, the 40s and so on when they were younger. I don't remember what they called from 1900 thru 1919. The 0s and the teens? No. That's lame.

So....
    My question is -
    What did people call those years back then AND what are we suppose to call our years now? 2000-2019...

WE will be those old dead relatives that our kin will remember so I want some proper verbiage so I can accurately tell my stories. The 20s on up will be easy to label.

And hurry.... the 20s are about to begin so some of us don't have much time.

00 - 09 = ?
    10 - 19 = ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

I remember hearing the word teens when my older relatives were discussing something.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Aughts and teens.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Aughts and teens.
    That is the phrase, as back in aught 8 blah blah blah
    I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

User Info Menu

Was "Aught" something that's said though?

As a joke in 06 I referred to that year as Aught 6 in honor of one of my favorite rounds the 30-06. So I was doing it right and didn't even even know it.

When my Great Aunt talked about those years, (1900-1919) she just used a year or "sometime around" a certain year. But I would have remembered her saying aughts and teens.

Aughts and Teens.... OK. I can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

My Grandpa used the term. I always thought of it as a kind of an old farmer term....and he was an old farmer.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

I've heard the more recent batch referred to as "the naughties". I don't know if they were just trying to be cute.
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

User Info Menu

I can't remember anything since the 60's...........
    "If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
    Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
    And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind."
    Major Michael Davis O'Donnell KIA 7 Feb 1978

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Aughts and teens.
    I've never heard that. Definitely works though.
    It's ok! I'm an INGO member!

Todd Young (R-IN)
    https://www.young.senate.gov/contact

Mike Braun (R-IN)
    https://www.braun.senate.gov/contact-mike

Find your U.S. Rep
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Expert

User Info Menu

My son-in-law has it pegged. Anything before that very moment is "the other day..."

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...