Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Duty Loadout

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    Well that's OK for the first 6 but how do you protect the rest of the dozen throughout the day?
    What kind of nancy doesn't eat their doughnuts an even dozen at a time???

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsx1043 View Post
    What he said /\

Like right now, Iím trying to piece together a better quality rifle and optic for patrol. I want to SBR it (thanks VUPD), and maybe one day get a can. That being the case, I have to source/build it, file the paperwork, pay the tax(es), then qualify it with the department (and thatís IF they even allow SBRs), THEN I can use it for duty work. All for an extra $200-$400, just to have the best equipment.

We really should just be able to use AR pistols. The NFA is the debbil...
    Well you shouldn't even have to buy your own stuff especially when it comes to weapons.

Soldiers don't have to bring their own tanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    Well you shouldn't even have to buy your own stuff especially when it comes to weapons.

Soldiers don't have to bring their own tanks.
    The main thing I don't like about individual officers being able to provide their own rifles/gear is that they seem to invariably buy cheap junk.

Officers on my PD can't supply their own rifles (the only officers on the PD that use their own rifles for work are the snipers, although that is about to change), but tend to come to range all the time with $40 optics they bought from Walmart. I'm always the bad guy when I tell them to take that crap off the rifle.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The main thing I don't like about individual officers being able to provide their own rifles/gear is that they seem to invariably buy cheap junk.

Officers on my PD can't supply their own rifles (the only officers on the PD that use their own rifles for work are the snipers, although that is about to change), but tend to come to range all the time with $40 optics they bought from Walmart. I'm always the bad guy when I tell them to take that crap off the rifle.
    There must be more downsides to having to provide your own rifle.
    If the rifle gets stolen from a patrol car? Is covered by the officer's insurance? The department?
    Or if it's used to shoot a suspect isn't it now seized as evidence so you need to buy another one until you can get it back?

Buying your own rifle is not like buying your own pens for the job, there's more legal ramifications I would imagine.
    Especially if you get a SBR, silencer or other more regulated stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VUPDblue View Post
    My SBR is owned by me. The rifles my department issues arenít SBRs at all. We do, however, issue short barrel shotguns.
    Any Vietnam-Era M-16s collecting dust in the armory?
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    Any Vietnam-Era M-16s collecting dust in the armory?
    That reminds me of a coworker that went to another department about six or seven years ago. When he got issued his patrol rifle he brought it over for me to look at. It was a 100% Vietnam era M-16. It was amazing just to see it.

User Info Menu

That reminds me of a coworker that went to another department about six or seven years ago. When he got issued his patrol rifle he brought it over for me to look at. It was a 100% Vietnam era M-16. It was amazing just to see it.
    Was he able to update the upper and buttstock to make it a more efficient tool, but keep the lower and guts to retain the happiness?

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Was he able to update the upper and buttstock to make it a more efficient tool, but keep the lower and guts to retain the happiness?
    He was trying to get them to update it. I don't know if that ever happened.

User Info Menu

He was trying to get them to update it. I don't know if that ever happened.
    If not, he could rock it old school like the original "SWAT" tv series.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

Almost every issued rifle on my department is a Vietnam-era Colt from the DRMO. They are neutered though, and that empty third pin hole just looks lonely.

In fact, we just had two patrol rifle classes (adding 20 officers per class) and bringing your own rifle was a requirement. We are fairly well regulated on what equipment we can have on the rifle, and each complete setup has to be blessed by our armory.

I have no issue with some of the less expensive rifle options like S&W or Bushmaster but cheap chi-com garbage optics and other parts have no place on a business rifle.
    Last edited by VUPDblue; 4 Weeks Ago at 14:02.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast