Chlorine Granules for Pool, where to buy NW Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Where's a good place in the NW Indy area that sells pool chemicals for a good price?

I want to buy a 25 pound or larger container of chlorine granules.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Where's a good place in the NW Indy area that sells pool chemicals for a good price?

I want to buy a 25 pound or larger container of chlorine granules.

I dont know about indy but up here i get mine at Walmart. We use the chlorox 7-1 and has worked extremely well for us. Wal-Mart is the cheapest place to buy that brand, that i have found.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You can use liquid bleach or liquid "chlorine", which is the same sodium hypochlorite as the bleach. Look at the label and see what the concentration is. Laundry bleach will be 4-maybe 5.5%, liquid chlorine will be 10-12%. Get on the net and you should be able to find the amount of usable chlorine you get from each, and compare it to what you get from the granular form. You'll have to do a calculation to determine the amount of the liquid you need in proportion to the dose of granular that you would add.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just curious, can't you just use bottled bleach?

You can use liquid bleach or liquid "chlorine", which is the same sodium hypochlorite as the bleach.
    -Snip-

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried using bleach a couple of years ago.

I forget the brand, but it appeared to be bleach with no additives.
    When I added it to my swim spa, I ended up with cloudy water that I couldn't fix.
    Ended up having to drain a lot of the water out and refilled.

I'M sure it was MY FAULT and I did something wrong.
    So I've just stuck with granules which seem to work OK for me and I don't screw up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried using bleach a couple of years ago.

I forget the brand, but it appeared to be bleach with no additives.
    When I added it to my swim spa, I ended up with cloudy water that I couldn't fix.
    Ended up having to drain a lot of the water out and refilled.

I'M sure it was MY FAULT and I did something wrong.
    So I've just stuck with granules which seem to work OK for me and I don't screw up.

not necessarily your fault. I;ve noticed the several times Ive looked at bleach for the possibility of using it to purify water in a SHTF scenario. Looking at various labels, I have discovered that there is no standard for concentration, and in many cases the concentration of sodium hypo varies greatly, and isnt even always listed. And I'm not even sure those listed concentrations are totally accurate. After all, if all you are doing is whitening laundry (as expected) a variation isnt a big deal. Not so for what we are looking at.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    not necessarily your fault. I;ve noticed the several times Ive looked at bleach for the possibility of using it to purify water in a SHTF scenario. Looking at various labels, I have discovered that there is no standard for concentration, and in many cases the concentration of sodium hypo varies greatly, and isnt even always listed. And I'm not even sure those listed concentrations are totally accurate. After all, if all you are doing is whitening laundry (as expected) a variation isnt a big deal. Not so for what we are looking at.

Thanks for the info.
    I don't feel quite as clueless on this now.;)

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Thanks for the info. ;)
    I ordered a 25 pound container of granules from doheny and it'll be here tomorrow.

No prob...we'll see if you're thankful in 6 months with that big stack of all the mailers they've sent you in that time frame.....:):

Forgot to mention they have a pretty aggressive marketing dept...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No prob...we'll see if you're thankful in 6 months with that big stack of all the mailers they've sent you in that time frame.....:):

Forgot to mention they have a pretty aggressive marketing dept...

I've already gotten some emails about specials. ;)
    But I did like the prompt overnight delivery.

Top Bottom