• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Took advantage of the nice (re: cooler) weather. Absolutely love the way a car shines when you really put effort into it. I just wish I was more motivated to do it more often. My vehicles are typically only THIS clean once a year.

That said, I know I’m a novice and I’m always open to detailing/washing/waxing tips. What’s your secret, INGO?

2014 Accord EX-L V6 got the treatment today.

2v30zdu.jpg

11ht4eq.jpg

2qd9a1h.jpg

2vij9d5.jpg

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    If you’re careful with them, claybar’s can work wonders.

Chrisfix has a pretty good YouTube video of a complete car detailing.

I really want to try a clay bar/paint correction, I’m just not sure I trust myself. I just bought this Honda a few months ago and it’s got really low miles but there are definitely swirls in the clear coat from improper washing or drive through car washes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lookin good!

On a similar subject, the wife's brand new Kia SUV suddenly has some rather obvious light scratches on the hood. Like somebody put something on it and dragged it as they removed it. Any suggested products to buff those out and make them less obvious?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Lookin good!

On a similar subject, the wife's brand new Kia SUV suddenly has some rather obvious light scratches on the hood. Like somebody put something on it and dragged it as they removed it. Any suggested products to buff those out and make them less obvious?

I have some maguire’s “scratchX 2.0” that worked pretty well from where my idiot dog couldn’t wait for me to get out of the car to say hi.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My truck hadn’t been washed in YEARS. I spent the last week cleaning it inside and out, 3-4 hours per night. Other than some expected wear and tear from 9 years and 90k miles, it looks almost new now. It was so bad, I had forgotten the white letters on the tires were out! Haha

-rvb

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Lookin good!

Harbor Freight orbital buffer and 3M Finesse. The Finesse will cost more than the buffer. You can get the Finesse at auto body supply distributors.

MH

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Local place has a $75.00 hand wash/ wax/ inside detail offer, for the summer. Took the wife's 2017 Midnight Maxima in and dropped it off. I think they use possibly not entirely legal labor.......

Outside was perfect. The inside material is some kind of leather, possibly high grade fake leather, anyway they seemed to have some problem getting the cleaner off and it was kind of spotty. Wife ran a microfiber over it and it seems it just needed to dry a little. I rarely drive it, just when it needs an oil change or some kind of service. Thinking about doing it again late fall, for $75.00 I can’t put 5-6 hours into. Well, I could but I won’t.

Screwed up, no pictures but it looked like the day we picked it up.

Last edited:

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I work at the prison in New Castle and our maintenance department sells car detailing "tickets" for $10, hand wash and wax the outside, clean all windows, vacuum and shine interior (sometimes shampoo when its not broken) and tire shine. I prefer to do it myself since I have to remove almost EVERYTHING out of my car since its inmates doing the detail but they almost always do a really good job...when they dont they do it again lol

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I work at the prison in New Castle and our maintenance department sells car detailing "tickets" for $10, hand wash and wax the outside, clean all windows, vacuum and shine interior (sometimes shampoo when its not broken) and tire shine. I prefer to do it myself since I have to remove almost EVERYTHING out of my car since its inmates doing the detail but they almost always do a really good job...when they dont they do it again lol

Hmm, IDOC employee too, but no such offers at my facility.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    My routine is to wash and remove wax then claybar the horizontal surfaces once a year then a good waxing on the entire car. I can usually use detail spray once or twice a week to keep it clean. If it gets really dirty then it gets washed with wax friendly soap. The daily driver gets waxed at least twice a year. All cars are in the garage every night, daily driver is parked in a garage all day too.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Lookin good!

Use purse off. Its hard to find and even harder to get people to use......

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I really want to try a clay bar/paint correction, I’m just not sure I trust myself. I just bought this Honda a few months ago and it’s got really low miles but there are definitely swirls in the clear coat from improper washing or drive through car washes.

Nothing to fear using a clay bar as long as you follow the directions and use plenty of lubricant. There is also a product called Nanoskin that works the same as a clay bar, but can be reused many times. Proper paint prep makes all the difference in the final shine. Clay bar will not correct swirls. For swirls, a quality buffer/polisher is a must.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I do pretty well the same thing except clay in fall and spring to prepare for wax on the two worst seasons. Normally I wash and follow up with either meguiars D156 or mothers CMX spray wax. D156 doesn't last long, but is mega cheap and is a good booster for your base wax. Mothers CMX doesn't have the life of a true ceramic coating, but is is stupid easy to apply and beads like mad for 2 or 3 months. Unfortunately, I work at a grain elevator so my car is filthy most of the time.

Top Bottom