• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Well we cut the cord a couple weeks ago. Had DirecTV for 6 years....AT&T bought them out and our bill seems like it goes up every month. We had no premium channels, nothing extra and they bumped us to $110.00/mo plus taxes and fees....for ONE TV set. I called to see what the deal was, they refused to drop it back, offer any kind of discount, or anything else...so we dropped them. Mailed back the receiver/DVR/Remote via Fed ex pre paid return.

Got Hulu + Live TV for $45/mo ...that coupled with PLuto TV (free), Roku TV (free), and a new Over the Air antenna....we're good.

Goodbye AT&T I hope ya go broke.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They've gone downhill. We had them for years and service started going downhill but the price went up. We were paying for 100 mbps but we were lucky to get 20. Our DVR kept messing up. I called them at least once a month for five months. Finally, I told them the next time I called it would be to cancel. The next month, I called and told them to cancel my service. THEN they wanted to help! Too late.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Waiting for Endeavor to finish our fiber install, and then bye-bye ATT. Slow, unreliable, and expensive. Just didn't have any other choice (Spectrum was just as bad) until now.

We will be on Endeavor gigabit plus phone, and then streaming hulu, netflix, amazon, and such.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    We had direct tv, same issues, way overpriced and my service always went out. Wife switched to Dish without telling me, service was better but our bill always fluctuated by at least $20 a month with no reasons and we finally cancelled it, now everyday in my mail I get a flyer wanting us to get Dish again...no thanks, I finally showed my wife how to use the Roku and shes in love. Now if I could just find a internet provider thats as good as comcast in my area Id be ok! Comcast keeps telling us our internet goes out the same time every single day is because our router is an older model...sorry...but that wont cause that issue lol

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    They've gone downhill. We had them for years and service started going downhill but the price went up. We were paying for 100 mbps but we were lucky to get 20. Our DVR kept messing up. I called them at least once a month for five months. Finally, I told them the next time I called it would be to cancel. The next month, I called and told them to cancel my service. THEN they wanted to help! Too late.
    I had Direct TV years ago and one day out of the blue they call me to schedule an appointment to put a new dish up as it will get me more channels and services but will cost me nothing. Set the appointment, take a day off of work, no show no call. I call them, they apologize and re-schedule. Same thing, another day off of work, no call no show. I call them up, explain to them what happened, and cancelled the service.

Dish had some nice offers for new customers for 6 months, maybe a year. So I call them, schedule an appointment, take a day off work, and they showed up and installed the dish. While the tech was there I tell him what happened with Dish and he laughed because the 'new' dish that Direct wanted to install was no better for me then the last one unless I used a lot of pay per view. That is all it was, more ways to sell me stuff. They lost a customer because of that. Had been with them for about 10 years at that point.

I still have Dish 2 receivers with DVR at home and a 3rd receiver at lake with no DVR. Bill is $75 a month + $7 a month when 3rd one is on. Billed through my land line and somehow that makes it a little cheaper too.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We did the same a few months ago and are very happy with the decision. Gave up U-verse 200 and kept AT&T home phone and internet. Got an outdoor antenna which I put on a 10-ft pole. Bought a couple of Roku's and a DVR. Signed up for Philo, which is $16 a month. Initial investment for the antenna, Roku's, DVR and hard drive about $350. Cost of TV, internet, and home phone went from $230 a month to $73.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wish there were a way to have someone come over to my house and demonstrate all these options (Roku, Firestick, Sling-TV, Netflix, etc.) before I would make a decision to "cut the cable". I know absolutely nothing about these things. The only way I know how to access the internet is through my laptop or my phone. I *think* my tv's are "smart tvs" but if they are, they're smarter than me. :): I currently pay over $200 for phone, internet (not "gig-speed") and tv from Comcast, with what I would consider "basic cable". By that I mean, no premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc., but I have to go to their 2nd tier package to get the channels I want to have (History, HGTV, etc.). My over-the-air reception sucks, at least with the one antenna I do have for when the cable goes out. I want all my favorite channels and all local channels. Faster internet would be a bonus, but I don't do much besides email, browsing, and connecting to work (over VPN).

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I just remembered I pay for phone in my house and dont even have a phone line thats still connected hahaha, *someone* ripped it apart with a backhoe fixing the septic

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We had our cells and cable with AT&T since they bought out Cingular in 89. We called them several times about the costs/fees and other Bravo Sierra only to be treated as you were. Told them it was coming if we did not get some relief.

3 weeks ago we went into the Verizon store and they hooked us up. Walked around the corner to the AT&T store and cut them off. Then they scrambled to assist. Too late. We have gotten multiple surveys asking why. One was 50 questions long and was like a political survey. In the end it was price/service. Period.

We have Direct TV but the only other cable source for us in another crap bag service provider. Name escapes me but starts with an S.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We dumped DTV for the last time several years ago. We had resubscribed after a 3 year hiatus and immediately regretted bringing them back in. We recently received a card saying that if we received that card our REMC would have fiber to our house in the next 6 months.:rockwoot:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I pay 30 bucks a month for my ATT fiber internet; since January. No probs here. Years ago when I had their cell I could not make a call in my apartment - nowhere; even outside on balcony. I heard about their mini tower for the home and they wanted to charge me to get it so I could use their service in my home. I complained and it was given to me. Oh, BTW, I was less than 5 miles from their tower. The mini tower was a hit or miss so I cut their service and went to vierizon at the time. Had verizon for years and their price also kept climbing. About 2 years ago TMobile came into view with their senior program. 2 lines enlisted everything TOTAL $60 (includes tax and fees). Bye bye Verizon. SO for 2 cells and internet cable combined....$90 per month and I have very good OTA tv....better quality than cable.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My favorite at&t story...

I'm on my way home and my wife calls me. Seems that there's an at&t truck in our yard. She had let the dogs out without knowing about the truck and they went ballistic thinking she needed protection. I pull up, and, sure enough, there's a truck in our yard. Now, he wasn't just pulled off the road - he was parked 60 yards away from the road in the middle of my yard! To top it off, he wasn't even working on my service! I asked him what the hell was he doing, and he explained that he didn't want to drag his ladder 75 yards to the service pole. I told him to get his truck off my yard, and, since he didn't have the decency to ask, he could use the easement which added 300 yards of overgrown weeds and thorns.

I look at it like this, you can do donuts in my yard as long as you ask first. If you can't ask, you have no business there.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Against my advice, my mom signed up for uverse some years ago because she still has a soft spot in her [strike]head[/strike]heart for AT&T, having been an employee of Indiana Bell back in 1947 and a customer since about 1950. Not a month goes by when she doesn't have to spend a couple of hours on the phone with those bozos getting something straightened out. One favorite is if she's channel surfing and happens to land on a pay per view movie for a couple of seconds they charge her for watching the whole thing. I wouldn't pay AT&T to scoop my litter boxes.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    We ditched AT&T years ago, and it was the best decision we made. We had their internet and it was a disaster. When my wife signed up there was a $400 rebate, and when we signed up they told us that we were good to go and that the rebate would be in the mail. Life happened and after some months we realized that we never received the rebate, and when we called them, we were told that we were SOL, despite their failure to send it out. The service itself was dire. Opening a second tab would cause the connection to drop. Even the A/C kicking on killed the connection.

You couldn't pay me to deal with AT&T.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I had cell phones, internet, and direcTV now. But constant internet issues lead me to change. The straw that broke me was when my internet went completely out, after a couple hours of tech support they told me a technician would have to come out. I was expecting within 24 hours but they proceeded to tell me it would a full week before one could come out. I called the next day to confirm this and pleaded my case but yep a whole week was the best they could do in the Indy metro area. Called Spectrum up and they came out the same day to install new service. It took 2 separate calls to cancel service and then a month and half later I get a bill. They forgot to cancel my account even though I sent the equipment back.

Also the DirecTV now service was completely garbage too, always buffering or unable to load content.

So basically I've dropped cell phone, internet, and streaming service all at once. Only thing left is the home phone line and all ties to AT&T will be severed.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When I got sick of Asholes,Toads &Turkeys many moons ago I recall that it took me a solid half hour of "NO!, What part of NO do you not understand!" And finally a "Get the Glock outta my house!... TODAY!"
    Those bastiges only know how to add if it benefits them and service was at their leisure. Hope they fail miserably.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had cell phones, internet, and direcTV now. But constant internet issues lead me to change. The straw that broke me was when my internet went completely out, after a couple hours of tech support they told me a technician would have to come out. I was expecting within 24 hours but they proceeded to tell me it would a full week before one could come out. I called the next day to confirm this and pleaded my case but yep a whole week was the best they could do in the Indy metro area. Called Spectrum up and they came out the same day to install new service. It took 2 separate calls to cancel service and then a month and half later I get a bill. They forgot to cancel my account even though I sent the equipment back.

Also the DirecTV now service was completely garbage too, always buffering or unable to load content.

So basically I've dropped cell phone, internet, and streaming service all at once. Only thing left is the home phone line and all ties to AT&T will be severed.

I was told by the lady at the UPS store to save all of my shipping info on the DVR/remotes etc just because AT&T will try and bill me.

They did. For another month and the equipment. After a long and fruitless argument on the phone I went to the local AT&T store and showed them the documentation and service cut off dates.

They have just gotten too big. Just like the Fed. Gov.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was told by the lady at the UPS store to save all of my shipping info on the DVR/remotes etc just because AT&T will try and bill me.

They did. For another month and the equipment. After a long and fruitless argument on the phone I went to the local AT&T store and showed them the documentation and service cut off dates.

They have just gotten too big. Just like the Fed. Gov.

We were told the same thing by UPS store.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I wish there were a way to have someone come over to my house and demonstrate all these options (Roku, Firestick, Sling-TV, Netflix, etc.) before I would make a decision to "cut the cable". I know absolutely nothing about these things. The only way I know how to access the internet is through my laptop or my phone. I *think* my tv's are "smart tvs" but if they are, they're smarter than me. :): I currently pay over $200 for phone, internet (not "gig-speed") and tv from Comcast, with what I would consider "basic cable". By that I mean, no premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc., but I have to go to their 2nd tier package to get the channels I want to have (History, HGTV, etc.). My over-the-air reception sucks, at least with the one antenna I do have for when the cable goes out. I want all my favorite channels and all local channels. Faster internet would be a bonus, but I don't do much besides email, browsing, and connecting to work (over VPN).

Where are you? You can come to my house and I will show you.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Waiting for Endeavor to finish our fiber install, and then bye-bye ATT. Slow, unreliable, and expensive. Just didn't have any other choice (Spectrum was just as bad) until now.

We will be on Endeavor gigabit plus phone, and then streaming hulu, netflix, amazon, and such.

I had Verizon FIOS in Long Beach. I drool at those getting Endevor fiber on the west side of Avon. Open the freakin market!

Top Bottom