• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 2 young men that have been selling us Firewood for the last 2 years are not doing it again this year. Too busy at work so I can not complain.
    Before we get to late into the season I need to find another reliable source. Ingo I need your help here. If you know of a good source for seasoned/split wood hit me up.

Thanks

Edit.....I am Indy west side.

Last edited:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Did you ask your guys for their recommendation?
    Usually guys in the business, know other guys in the business.
    Just a thought.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm in the same boat. Usually get my own to cut/split/stack, but won't be able to this year. Need about a cord to top off the shed.

We have enough to get well into the winter but I do not want to be scrambling for the good seasoned stuff late in October.

2 Rics will fill our needs. There is a guy up on Lafayette Rd but he wants $100 a ric.....:n00b:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have enough to get well into the winter but I do not want to be scrambling for the good seasoned stuff late in October.

2 Rics will fill our needs. There is a guy up on Lafayette Rd but he wants $100 a ric.....:n00b:
    Daang...I'm in the wrong business!

The feed barn up north of Brownsburg has been my "just one more ric" go-to for years. I think they they are $65 / ric if you pick up. Always been good, reasonably dry hardwood. But, I know I can get a ric delivered for less when I find the right person.

We have about 2.5 cord left in the shed. But, if we have another cold winter, we will blow through it. I try to keep 2 years worth on hand... just in case.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Daang...I'm in the wrong business!

The feed barn up north of Brownsburg has been my "just one more ric" go-to for years. I think they they are $65 / ric if you pick up. Always been good, reasonably dry hardwood. But, I know I can get a ric delivered for less when I find the right person.

We have about 2.5 cord left in the shed. But, if we have another cold winter, we will blow through it. I try to keep 2 years worth on hand... just in case.

I am out your way every Thursday night with the 12 year Old G-daughter. She has a Tutored art class south of B-Burg At 5:00. There is a horse farm out there they use the Tack store. Pretty neat place. I may check into that.

Yes. $100 a ric or what he calls a level load in a 6' pick up bed. That is right at a Ric. But guy is off his tune up.
    W have right at a chord in the storage area. But like you I want to be secure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A level load in a 6' bed is not a rick. An 8' level, or slightly above, bed is a rick. Depends on how tightly it is thrown into the bed.

I put the wood in in neat rows across the bed. Properly cut (my little stove likes 16" pieces) I can get 4 rows front to tail gate with some room. Level or 1 row above the bed is usually left with several pieces to fill the gap. That has always been the load out. My truck is an extended cab with a 6' bed.
    Have I been shorted...???

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A cord is 4'x4'x8' for 128 cubic feet of wood. A face cord (rick) is 1/3 of that, using 16" logs (3 rick to a cord). So, about 42.6 cubic feet or so.

Standard short-bed on a full size truck is 6.25 x 5 (roughly). Maybe 2' deep. Gives us a volume of 62.5 cubic feet. About 1/2 cord, or 1.5 ricks.

A long bed is 8 x5 x2, for 80 cubic feet. Close to 2 ricks, but still shy of a cord.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A cord is 4'x4'x8' for 128 cubic feet of wood. A face cord (rick) is 1/3 of that, using 16" logs (3 rick to a cord). So, about 42.6 cubic feet or so.

Standard short-bed on a full size truck is 6.25 x 5 (roughly). Maybe 2' deep. Gives us a volume of 62.5 cubic feet. About 1/2 cord, or 1.5 ricks.

A long bed is 8 x5 x2, for 80 cubic feet. Close to 2 ricks, but still shy of a cord.

Thanks.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Boy if you were closer CM I could hook you up with some oak from in between aluminium billets.
    They average 3"x3"x36". I cut them in half for the fire pit.
    I get them from where my brother works

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just had a limb come down, oak, and it's HUGE.
    This "limb" is 36" across the base of the broken part if it's an inch. The entire limb must be 60 FEET long, and it's still hinged in the tree trunk, about 15' off the ground.
    There is zero chace to get any power equipment there with the exception of a chainsaw.

I've already spent more than 12 hours just trimming this "limb" so I can see over top of it for deer season.
    It's going to provide me with literally tons of firewood, but not this season.
    It only came down a couple of weeks ago, and it still had really full green leaves on it when it dropped.

This thing is so massive I'm not sure what to do with it other than to let nature bring it down.
    I've shot the hinge a few times, but I can't get close to it on one side, and I don't want to be on the other side when it drops.

What I have already separated from the trunk of this limb will likely last my little Vogelzang stove a year or two, IF I can get it hauled up out of the woods.
    That's what the tractor is for.

No, I thought about using the tractor to pull the limb down, and have decided against that strategy.
    This limb far outweighs my tractor and I don't want to be on it if that limb does something funky, and unexpected.

CM,
    I'd be happy to GIVE you some, if you can use it, but it's in Fountain county near Cayuga.
    I

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Tim, or anyone who wants some, I’ve got a bunch of wood cut to length. Most is limbs, so not big enough around to split but there is some that is splitting size.
    As soon as it’s all picked up I’ll fell the trunks and there will be quite a bit of wood to split.
    best of all....FREE!!!
    you can pull your truck right up to it as long as the ground isn’t saturated.
    most is maple, a little poplar, and even less walnut.
    Northwest side of Greenwood.
    come get it.
    Tim, you know where it is (the gutted house I’m still working on) you’re welcome to get what you want any time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm getting ready to have more wood than I can use. Had a big (30" diameter) hard maple taken down yesterday. Gotta try and rent a log splitter and try and at least get it all split this Friday.

3TiwvxC.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have my needs covered from folks reading this thread. Thanks to all for the offers and help.

Lets keep this going so others may benefit.

Again, Thanks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Glad you're taken care of CM! I really didn't want them to leave the really big stuff, but they wanted to charge me more to haul it away and it was already $1600 just to have the tree taken down and stump ground out (they're coming back to do the stump and finish cleaning up today). Hopefully I can man-handle the big chunks onto the splitter myself. Might have been worth the extra to have them haul it. :):

Top Bottom