• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The problem is trashy people.
    I just watched a family come out of Walmart who then unwrapped some of their purchases and tossed the wrappers out on the parking lot for the wind to carry off.
    We don't need more laws, we need more respect for our country.
    Until people change their attitudes, laws don't matter.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Remember in the 1960s and 70s when the focus was on the bad behavior (littering) and not the item (cans, styrofoam fast food containers, etc). Crying indians and Woodsy the Owl worked to change our attitudes. Then groups got involved that attacked places like McDonalds for using certain materials instead. Suddenly the stigma of littering waned while attacking the inanimate object got more popular.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Remember in the 1960s and 70s when the focus was on the bad behavior (littering) and not the item (cans, styrofoam fast food containers, etc). Crying indians and Woodsy the Owl worked to change our attitudes. Then groups got involved that attacked places like McDonalds for using certain materials instead. Suddenly the stigma of littering waned while attacking the inanimate object got more popular.
    Yep, sure enough.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Agreed.

My business is on the very south side of Allen Country, I live on the north side of the county. To get to work I drive through a section some may call the "hood". I can not count how may times I am at a stop light and the people in a car near me just unload their trash. I am not talking about a straw wrapper either, McDonalds bags, BBQ styrofoam containers, ect. I have never ever seen this happen on my end of town, but the south side here in Fort Wayne this happens daily. And they wonder why no one wants to build in that end of town. . . . . Well that and the nightly shootings too. :)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

Hmmm.... reminds me of another social controversy I've seen somewhere....

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Gone are the days of personal accountability. It's easier to blame our problems on things, not people.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The problem is trashy people.

I agree, they are a problem.

we need more respect for our country.

That would be nice, I agree.

Until people change their attitudes, laws don't matter.

No, I think that's exactly why we need laws, because it's quicker than waiting for a mythical time when everyone has the same attitude about these things. Laws don't fix everything, but it does give some satisfaction knowing that every once in a while, some trashy person will get a kick in the pants for being trashy.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I agree, they are a problem.

That would be nice, I agree.

No, I think that's exactly why we need laws, because it's quicker than waiting for a mythical time when everyone has the same attitude about these things. Laws don't fix everything, but it does give some satisfaction knowing that every once in a while, some trashy person will get a kick in the pants for being trashy.

Well, there are already laws relating to littering but it continues to happen.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Well, there are already laws relating to littering but it continues to happen.

I know, and it bothers me too. But, I look at it like speeding in cars, I'd hate to see what it would be like if there were not laws against either littering or speeding.

Personally, I would support much harsher penalties for people who are caught willfully littering. Way harsher.

I also think that it's a pretty important fact to realize that there will most likely always be a certain segment of the population that just don't give a crap. I think society would be better if there were more people in jail for littering and fewer in jail for smoking dope.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    You know, I would like to see the return of that commercial and others like it even if it didn't do much good.
    I remember Tucker Carlson pointing out how clean Japan was when they were over there.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    you-told-us-that-you-didnt-like-disposable-plastic-drinking-38759163.png

Top Bottom